Stockland

JZjr

Ok, My last idea, 'Ross-on-Wye' was scrapped as my Arriva Trains Wales 142 is now a First Great Western 143 and my Arriva 158 will shortly be in FGW colours as my 153 is.

I have moved my idea in to the west country!

Stockland is a large town (larger than Taunton) on the River Parret, Combwich has become a suburb of the growing town.

post-7028-12643574483004_thumb.png

I have also located my layout near to a nuclear power station so the nuclear traffic flow has more of an excuse to travel that way.

Regular services will be:

Stockland to Exeter/Taunton/Plymouth

Stockland to Bristol Temple Meads

Stockland to Cardiff Central

Stockland to Gloucester

Stockland to Cardiff Central to Gloucester to Stockland ('SevernLink' service linking major towns and cities in Wales and the West)

Limited services will be:

Stockland to Edinburgh via XC route

Stockland to Glasgow via Birmingham and WCML

Stockland to Stansted Airport via Birmingham

Stockland to London Paddington

Stockland to Penzance

Now for some pictures:

post-7028-12643579247864_thumb.jpg

Overall view of the layout (minus the fiddle yards)

post-7028-12643579869869_thumb.jpg

View of the points entering the station

post-7028-12643580552485_thumb.jpg

The end of what will be platform 2

post-7028-12643581047046_thumb.jpg

A 153 parked up in what will be platform 1

Those are the medium radius points, I was planning to use the large radius but there just wasn't enough room; the medium radius points do seem ok as it is on entry to a terminus station and most trains will be doing around 10-20mph, maybe through freight trains would do 25 maximum.

Fred - definitely worth modifying the Peco points slightly when you lay the track so you can close up the gap between the running lines to a more prototypical 6ft (ish). Basically you just need to cut one rail on each point and then splice them together - there was a good thread on the old RMWeb about it by the chaps who did it on Widnes Vine Yard - I did it on Paxton Road, it was quite straightforward and well worth the effort.

• 2 weeks later...

A slight change to the original idea:

post-7028-1265569301812_thumb.png

This incorporates a DB (ex EWS) depot as the Nuclear trains used to be operated by EWS, when DRS took over half of the depot was sold to DRS and the other half was retained by EWS.

And with thanks to KevinWalsh of this forum I have some station announcements being made!

Should have some progress next weekend! No, make that definite progress next weekend!

• 3 weeks later...

I now have some Station announcements thanks to KevinWalsh of this forum, in return I will be making some signs for his layout.

A sample of these announcements can be found on my layouts website.

Kind words thanks Fred.

It was fun recording the announcements, especially as I will be getting some signage for my layout out of this.

If any MODs are looking at this thread, is there a specific forum where we can post topics for this sort of bartering of services?????

Kev

• 1 month later...

The first bit of progress has finally taken place.

The first bit of track has been laid with two more pieces being laid tomorrow, the rest will have to wait until I have aqquired the points I need.

post-7028-126970973434_thumb.jpg

post-7028-126970974556_thumb.jpg

post-7028-126970975538_thumb.jpg

All showing Platform 1, with a Bachman CrossCountry 170 'Turbostar' sat on the track!

Platform 2 has now been laid and so has the freight line but the PVA on platform two isn't dry yet so hopefully pictures will be ready tomorrow!

I have also decided upon a larger station building, a Heljan kit based on the building at Teignmouth, I am currently glazing the kit so pictures will follow soon.

The two more pieces of track are now completely laid and photographed.

I have decided to add another platform to the layout, this platform will be on the through line, the platform will serve branch line trains running to Williton before joining the West Somerset Railway to continue the journey to Minehead before returning to Taunton via Stockland.

A DRS 66 on the Platform 3/Freight line, a Arriva Trains Wales 150 hired to First Great Western and a SevernLink 156.

post-7028-127058055589_thumb.jpg

post-7028-127058058036_thumb.jpg

A First Great Western 158 in platform 2 with a service to Paignton.

post-7028-127058065534_thumb.jpg

A First Great Western 153 in platform 3 with a service to Minehead.

post-7028-127058069106_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to buy some points, as many as my funds will allow, unfortunately that may only be one. I hope to put a siding in for trains from Minehead to wait for the next service in.

• 1 month later...

Finally I have progressed some more. I have decided to remove the double slip from the layout because the cost of the slip would of delayed progress so the other cross over will be 'off scene'.

Platform 2 and 3 are now at there final lengths but platform 1 cannot be completed until I have got two more left hand points to form the crossover.

post-7028-127531775863_thumb.jpg

On the left in Platform 3, a CrossCountry 170 pauses on a service from Minehead to Hull (via Bath and Oxford). While in the middle a SevernLink service empties of passengers from Cardiff and Bristol. On the Right in Platform 1 a First Great Western 158 prepares to depart for Yeovil Town (via Exeter and Yeovil Junction).

post-7028-127531783734_thumb.jpg

post-7028-127531791311_thumb.jpg

post-7028-127531799154_thumb.jpg

A First Great Western 153 waits in the siding to form a Minehead service.

post-7028-127531806712_thumb.jpg

My DBS 59 sits in Somercombe Station. This will appear on Stockland running to the DBS Depot on the Minehead and Hinckey Point line.

post-7028-127531814287_thumb.jpg

A Mk3 Carriage that will form part of the SouthWest Trains loco hauled service to London Waterloo (Via Exeter). The train will consist of three Mk3's, a Class 73 locomotive and a Mk2 brake converted to a driving trailer for D/EMU style operation.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much happening on the actual layout but something is happening behind the scenes; I have recorded some additional announcements and made a list of all services on the layout, all I really need now is some money for the points but I am struggling to find a job so I am just hoping that I will have finished the layout in time for the final challenge date!

• 1 month later...

I have recently bought the remaining points required for the layout and have laid them.

I have decided to model a small narrow gauge tourist railway, alongside the mainline terminus, I think I will be calling it the Stockland, Brean and Weston Railway (SBWR). The proposed calling points are as follows:

Stockland, Stretcholt, West Huntspill, Alstone, Burnham South, Burnham Sands, Burnham North, Berrow, Brean Golf Club & Leisure Centre, Brean, Uphill, Weston South Parade, Weston Parade Central, Weston Grand Pier, Weston Grand Pier Head.

A bit of extensive use of modellers license there but it is want I want so I figured to just do it! biggrin.gif

No pictures at the moment but hopefully they will follow soon!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived