Oops! - learning photography by making mistakes

eastwestdivide

12.No matter how hard you research a location, you'll always find something you missed after your return - interest value being directly proportional to distance/difficulty of return.

Something similar happened to me recently when I was photographing the trackbed of the Blackburn to Chorley line and it was only when I got home that I found out that I had walked past the former rail connected munitions depot (and alleged Strategic Reserve!) at Heapey without even realising it! Although in my case it wasn't so far away from me that I couldn't return to photograph the bits I'd missed.

Also I have done the classic no film in the camera when I borrowed my sisters Konica to photograph the recently closed Fallowfield Loop line in the 90s.

Edited by bennyboy

post-6977-0-86375200-1442492219.jpg

Newton-le-Willows

From Wikipedia -

A stanchion is a sturdy upright that provides support for some other object. They are often not a permanent fixture, so that they may be expediently enlisted or removed whenever desired .........if only !

• Like 4

When the subject is framed exactly where you want it do not press the OFF button instead of the shutter. I've done that but do not have the pictures to prove it.

I used to have a camera where I did that. I got rid of it, fast.

attachicon.gifimg588.jpg

Newton-le-Willows

From Wikipedia -

A stanchion is a sturdy upright that provides support for some other object. They are often not a permanent fixture, so that they may be expediently enlisted or removed whenever desired .........if only !

Even with suitable cropping, have a gander at that incredibly tall exhaust pipe on the locomotive! ;)

• 1 month later...

U1 at the Bluebell some time ago, probably prior to 2004, that is prior to my buying a digital camera.

Just one step back and I might have got the whole loco in the shot or, at least, the photograph made more complete by the inclusion of the end of the coach to which the loco is coupled, which would have made the right hand end of the photo complete (in the aesthetic sense)

Hopefully I'll learn...

post-2411-0-90389500-1446544614_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

U1 at the Bluebell some time ago, probably prior to 2004, that is prior to my buying a digital camera.

Just one step back and I might have got the whole loco in the shot or, at least, the photograph made more complete by the inclusion of the end of the coach to which the loco is coupled, which would have made the right hand end of the photo complete (in the aesthetic sense)

Hopefully I'll learn...

Apologies for bringing out the pendent in me...however it's a U class, not a U1. The U1 was a 3-cylinder variant of the U.

Regards,

Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

On a similar theme to Peppercorn's post.

attachicon.gifS2210028 - 1.jpg

Pressed the shutter too early.

Regards,

Matt

If you've got the facility, set the shutter to the motor drive or continuous setting and keep it down for the whole traverse of the subject. You're much more likely to get a well framed shot.

• Informative/Useful 1

If you've got the facility, set the shutter to the motor drive or continuous setting and keep it down for the whole traverse of the subject. You're much more likely to get a well framed shot.

Cheers for the advice.

This was taken on a camcorder unfortunately for me. Should've just hit record instead.

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Take time to familiarise yourself with a new camera... Settings/shutter speeds etc.

post-6831-0-50241400-1447277094.jpg

Another 'watch for those lamp posts' pictures...but sometimes mitigating factors come into play. You are taking the picture from an open door, from a train which is stationary for about 20 seconds, at a station which you will probably never visit again, photographing a class of unit which likely as not be extinct next time you visit the country (assuming you ever do) which is on the other side of the world!

post-6831-0-34437300-1447276787.jpg

Perhaps plan your visit to a larger station a little better - so you are not at the other side of the station when an interestingly liveried unit departs.

post-6831-0-38843700-1447276976.jpg

Oh yes, and a very important lesson. Make sure you replace your memory card after about 10,000 exposures - as they can 'let go'. This happened to me on holiday back in September. Some pictures were recovered, but at a much lower resolution. Pity, this was the only picture I managed to get of this type of unit...

post-6831-0-43158500-1447279089.jpg

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 5