G.F. Fenino Photographic collection.

ahardy

Hello all,

I wonder if someone can help me with a question I have.

I am looking to see if any group or museum has the photographic collection of G.F. Fenino? I believe he was a French photographer (not my scene so not completely sure) taking photos in the mid 30's and later.

I'm looking for a few specific photos of his and wondering if there is an archive or collection somewhere with them in.

If anyone can point me in the right direction i would be really grateful.

Many thanks

Andy

I have not had a chance to yet. Can you recommend any forums etc? My French is rather poor (nee non-existent) otherwise I would have tried with some society's direct in France. I'm just trying to see if anyone  knows anything.

Andy

Sources of early photographs have been discussed on the LR Presse (Loco Revue) forum: http://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34450&sid=8f4f7e87c1d71ae455b0239f2a371ab8 (recommended as a wider information source).

Some (at least) of the Felix Fenino images are available from PhotoRail http://www.photorail.fr/ , which also licenses reproduction rights.

If you can't find the specific image(s) you're after try the LR Presse forum.

Thanks for the links. I cant find it on the photorail website. The LR Presse forum looks a little complicated with my non existent French. I have registered and am awaiting confirmation and hopefully I can then search.

Thanks for the help.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

You may like to look for a book. It is part of a series published by La Vie du Rail and is number 4 or Tome IV. The pictures are all from the lense of Felix Fenino and from the 40's through to the 60's. It is all black and white photos with fairly short captions in french. The best thing though is that it covers many aspects of french railways not normally covered, there are not too many three quarter front views of trains, but lots of pictures of railway people and behind the scenes activities.

Good luck

Many thanks for the suggestion.

I'm looking for a particular photo taken at Gare du Nord on the 17th Feb 1935 of LNER 2001 on display with a French Pacific. I have seen the photo produced in a magazine from the time, but they dont seem to have a copy and the original print quality is very poor. I'm hoping he may have taken a few more from that day and they are hidden away somewhere. Unfortunately my French is not good enough to read most forums or post what I need to asl.

Many thanks

Andy 

Andy, have you seen this? http://www.britishpathe.com/video/giant-engine-in-france-for-tests

There's also an article in LNER Magazine for January 1935, including a picture of 2001 on the testing plant at Vitry.

LNER_Magazine_1935.pdf

I've tried various searches along the lines of 'cliché Fenino', but to date nothing approaching the photos you're looking for.  I'd suggest trying the LR Presse forum, even if it means posting in English - Google translate may also help.

Hi Eddie,

Many thanks for the links, I had seen both. Interestingly I have also located some more film of 2001 at Vitry which i'm currently trying to acquire.

I will try the LR Presse forum at the weekend. I'm speaking at the P2 roadshow on Saturday and driving Rocket tomorrow at work so need a railway free evening tonight!

Many thanks again.

Andy

Archived