New Magazine?

westerner

It's a bit expensive compared with the mainstream magazines but I've signed up for a year anyway.  Look forward to seeing the first issue.

Mike

All things are relative - what can one get for £22.00 these days, hopefully quality will be remembered long after price is forgotten.

As somebody who buys magazines when there is an article of interest to me, the thought of subscribing to any publication could be one year’s expensive recycling of paper. Unless my local model shop is included in the selected traders and finescale outlets then the chance of me buying a copy should I be tempted is very slim.

I do wish Bob all the best with the publication.

You can buy the first issue from the site as a taster.

I have signed up and I am looking forward to seeing how it all pans out - the 'Review' is always a treat to get through the post, read and inspire.

As I mentioned before swmbo wants me to thin out my magazines - I am trying as I tend to agree with her - also I would rather have quality than quantity these days (in most things) <steady, cheeky - smirks etc.>.

Do we know where these will be found in the High St.? I work almost next door to Ian Allan at Waterloo, they seem to stock most titles, are they a possibility? Also a long shot, my local newsagent in Chatteris, of all places, stocks most railway mags (including MRJ), I like them when not at work.

Stewart

You can judge all this for yourself when you see it, but really we are aiming at hands-on modellers who want to make their models as convincing as they can. We will be relying on full colour and high production values, but there will be no barmy Photoshopping and no elitism. That said, if someone makes a convincing model by hand-sticking every rivet, we'll be glad to show that too. Readers can take from it what they want and what they feel is helpful to them.

Incidentally, our other magazine Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review has reached its 100th issue as a direct subscription quarterly and that's the key reason we are going the same route with Finescale, backed by a small number a trusted, reliable traders around the country. 

Hi Bob,

A couple of daft questions if I may: Is there any chance of a list of the stockists - or at least a hint? - e.g. might I find one in Tennents? I'm asking 'cos I'm interested but money is tight (yes, even for a £6 mag) & would like to mooch first before committing. Also, is issue 1 actually issue 1, or is there a preview 'issue 0' etc to seek out?

Cheers!

Absolutely - but the more people who read your article, the higher your chances of finding that person to inspire...

In another note... I understand that many here prefer the layout of MRJ aswell as its content, and that's fair enough, but I suspect that anyone new to the hobby would regard it as somewhat anachronistic.  It might be easy (if slightly insulting to the designers) to describe the layout of MR, BRM, RM et al as "Janet and John" style but it is not dissimilar  to the designs of popular magazines from other hobbies.

cheers

Ben A.

I think you have a valid point here.  I like the layout of MRJ because Im getting old!  And - I suppose because it reminds me more of my favourite magazine going back to the 1960s-70s era - Model Railway Constructor. 

Personally, I cannot stand all this swish presentation in the top railway mags now - with each page looking like a dogs breakfast [but with even more colours!] but obviously I can see that it appeals to most modellers.  To me the layouts featured mostly seem far too bright and garish, like wedding cakes.  The real world [what we are trying to capture, surely] is much more muted and subdued in colour.

Hopefully this new magazine will be very interesting.  I was told a long time back by Bob Barlow that something was under consideration and with Tim Shackleton on board it might be very good.  Much as like I the style of MRJ, as I have said - the content has certainly gone downhill in my view since Tim left.  MRJ desperately needs a permanent editor IMHO.

David Parkins,

Modern Motive Power

Well I certainly think that there is a gap in the market. Somewhere between the mainstream mags and the, sometimes, arcane MRJ. Not a criticism of MRJ, I've every copy since the preview, but it often covers some pretty obscure stuff which, though interesting, is of little practical value to me.

Something like a modern version of what Model Railways was at one time, and which MORILL and the Digest became later, and yes, MRJ under Tim Shackleton.

• RMweb Premium

I'm trying to subscribe, but PayPal is insisting that I can only do so using a card, not my PayPal account.  Anyone else having this problem?  It doesn't apply if I'm only wanting to buy one issue - there I'm taken straight through to my PayPal account.

DT

Time flies Alan!

It was the 1980's for me!

Yes back on topic - or else we will get sent to the back of the class!

Kindest,

CME

Wrong Forum ;) and Mick Karn, Bassist of Japan :sungum:

OK that's my off-topic comments out of the way.

For this new mag, if they'd bite the bullet, shed the blinkers of the 'Big Four' and cover some foreign-outline modelling (particularly US-outline, being selfish) as long as it was in some way "finescale", I'd be more likely to give it a try.

• RMweb Gold

I've subscribed as all the 'NG.....Review' stuff is excellent and well worth the subscription.

Like many, I now only buy a mag if there is something of interest in it for me.

Last one was an RM with a single article by Geoff Forster on an old Airfix B set coach conversion.

But RM was too scared to tell the readers it was EM gauge!

Edit: It's too not to!

Hi Bob,

A couple of daft questions if I may: Is there any chance of a list of the stockists - or at least a hint? - e.g. might I find one in Tennents? I'm asking 'cos I'm interested but money is tight (yes, even for a £6 mag) & would like to mooch first before committing. Also, is issue 1 actually issue 1, or is there a preview 'issue 0' etc to seek out?

Cheers!

Assuming you mean Tennants of Halesowen, as they tend to have almost every model railway mag going, I should think they'll stock it for sure.

• RMweb Premium

Another subscriber here - seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Getting bored of the same old same old, lists of things I need on my layout and folk making pointless trainsets out of pizza trays... I also really an quite capable of turning a page without having a box telling me to do it. Think I must be getting old and falling outside the hello magazine target audience for the mainstream mags. I'm looking forward to seeing articles on making things and thoughtful articles of substance.

To answer your question Dave, I certainly hope Tennents will have it. They sell our other title, so I'll be speaking to Mr T straight after it's first public outing this weekend. Meanwhile, copies to those who have ordered/subscribed are leaving here thick and fast. 

No other issues reported by PayPal, Torper, but if something is playing up, you should be able to make a direct payment to the editorial email address straight from your own PayPal control panel. Just make sure you tell me in the message box what it's for.

Finally, there will be overseas material in there. I've spent the last three years looking at the work being done all over the world and some of it, particularly in Europe and Scandinavia, is too good to miss. There will always be lots of stuff from the UK mainstream, but we're not getting stuck in any groove.

Cheers

Bob 

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with the launch guys.

I've subscribed for the year and am looking forward to the first issue. Will try not to spoil the surprise of its arrival with sneaky peaks at S4UM this weekend!

Assuming you mean Tennants of Halesowen, as they tend to have almost every model railway mag going, I should think they'll stock it for sure.

To answer your question Dave, I certainly hope Tennents will have it. They sell our other title, so I'll be speaking to Mr T straight after it's first public outing this weekend. Meanwhile, copies to those who have ordered/subscribed are leaving here thick and fast. 

Thanks Bob, I'll look out for it next time i'm in.

Has anybody got hold of a copy yet and if so, what do they think of it?

I suspect not, because I'm sure that once people have seen a copy this thread will be full of comment both positive and no doubt negative.It's the way of the world.Then you'll be free to make your own mind up.

However if you're really impatient to really know what it's like you could take a risk,(I know it's scary) put your hand in your pocket and buy one.

If it's crap you can always blame me. :read:

Edit: Panic over now t-b-g some people have got 'em, read what they think.Then buy one.

They've been going out first class for the last couple of days so there should be plenty landing on the mat this morning. I've certainly had quite a few direct messages - very happy ones I'm glad to say - from recipients.

Bob B

PS: When I say 'first class' I mean the Post Office's version, whereby I pay full whack for postage and they deliver it when they see fit. Similarly, when I say 'this morning' I mean the Post Office's version of morning - ie, anytime between 9.00am and 5.00pm. My one and only 'morning' post frequently arrives well after noon.

• RMweb Premium

Another subscriber here - seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Getting bored of the same old same old, lists of things I need on my layout and folk making pointless trainsets out of pizza trays... I also really an quite capable of turning a page without having a box telling me to do it. Think I must be getting old and falling outside the hello magazine target audience for the mainstream mags. I'm looking forward to seeing articles on making things and thoughtful articles of substance.

Haha I'm all for fresh approaches in the mags but one of my personal gripes is a certain well-known title that once used to pick the centrepiece or unique scene on a layout lovingly scratchbuilt by the owner and then run an editorial-produced modelling article alongside copying the item "here's how you can build XXXX in 3 easy steps!" ... couldn't help but feel for the poor layout owner!

Looking forward to picking up a copy of this new mag though, the evocative steam depot images could almost sell the magazine alone! :)

They've been going out first class for the last couple of days so there should be plenty landing on the mat this morning. I've certainly had quite a few direct messages - very happy ones I'm glad to say - from recipients.

Bob B

Just seen your post Bob and add my positive feedback and love the item on pop-up modelling :)

Mornin' All,

Just had a very pleasant surprise drop onto my doormat this AM!

Only had a quick flick but I can say "Well done Bob & Co"! I shall be putting in a full subscription presently. Also, hearty congratulations to Tony Gee, what an amazing job you've done!

By the way, Bob's comment earlier about possible inclusion of matter from other climes - thank you so much, that has really made my day.

Cheers,

John.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Good luck with this!  I've sprung for a first issue via the website because I know how much work can be involved in such an undertaking and feel anyone brave enough to do it deserves some support to at least get them started!

Having said that, I do think it's important to get the product into retailers if at all possible - apart from Society publications like the DEMU Update and NGS Journal I don't tend to subscribe to publications because I travel a fair amount and it's good to be able to buy something to read on the journey.

cheers

Ben A.

Archived