Invicta commission Bachmann to produce CCT

Andy Y

I'm a bit bemused over the blank/alternate number issue at this stage; after all we don't hear that said with respect to many other items of rolling stock (it's a well-trodden ground of poor sales with respect to locos). Re-numbering is an easily achieved task for a modeller; no, I didn't want a BR(E) number on my blue ones but I didn't bat an eyelid at this price a I'm pretty certain any subsequent releases will have a higher price from later production runs when other numbers come around. I'm confident it will be a good product and from a good retailer so I haven't hung around; I know some of the liveries are having very healthy pre-orders so my advice to a fence-sitter is to get in whilst you can on these before they appear in the printed mags.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Even for a good number of modellers the fact of having "incorrect" numbers on something like a CCT isn't of great consequence.  Duplicated identical numbers possibly but these things got around the railway network so sighting an "Eastern Region" van at Plymouth or Perth should not have been though unusual.  Most layouts have the rolling stock far enough from the naked eye that duplicated van numbers would only be spotted by the rivet-counting fraternity.  However if you feel moved to renumber then it's easy enough.  I suspect the number of purchasers who renumber would be far smaller than those who would be required to apply numbers if the vans were produced without any applied.

• RMweb Gold

Even for a good number of modellers the fact of having "incorrect" numbers on something like a CCT isn't of great consequence.  Duplicated identical numbers possibly but these things got around the railway network so sighting an "Eastern Region" van at Plymouth or Perth should not have been though unusual.  Most layouts have the rolling stock far enough from the naked eye that duplicated van numbers would only be spotted by the rivet-counting fraternity.  However if you feel moved to renumber then it's easy enough.  I suspect the number of purchasers who renumber would be far smaller than those who would be required to apply numbers if the vans were produced without any applied.

'Incorrect' numbers by Region are indeed irrelevant because unless the chosen vehicles were in a special circuit working or confined to a particular service then they simply went anywhere and were accounted for in the daily Regional NPCCS van balance without any reference to the painted number, simply X number of whatever sort of van was all that mattered.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to have stirred up a bit of a hornets' nest with my comment.

The CCT is an interesting example because the numbers are in a particularly prominent position. Yes, I could buy three or four now and renumber three of them. Or I could buy one now and wait for others to appear in due course. The first option must be better for the manufacturer in that they recoup production costs more quickly. But I will probably go for the second, easier, option - as will others.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when did the mk1 CCT enter service ?

Phil

Not as stupid as you might think. I looked in an IA booklet...no info, then Parkins BR Mk.I book, but looking for anything in there is nowhere near as simple as the diagram columns in a typical Jenkinson & Essery book. In the end the only info I got was gleaned from an elderly Bradford-Barton booklet which simply says, production vans appeared in the 1960s in maroon. Needless to say, my knowledge of Mk.I coaches is slim! 

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when did the mk1 CCT enter service ?

Phil

Hi! Using our good friend 'Google' ( and ignoring 'Wiki..), they were completed during the period 3/1960 to 4/1961.

The site I used was 'Alextrack'.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Not as stupid as you might think. I looked in an IA booklet...no info, then Parkins BR Mk.I book, but looking for anything in there is nowhere near as simple as the diagram columns in a typical Jenkinson & Essery book. In the end the only info I got was gleaned from an elderly Bradford-Barton booklet which simply says, production vans appeared in the 1960s in maroon. Needless to say, my knowledge of Mk.I coaches is slim! 

Reference in Parkin is at the top of P.210. Four Lots to Dia.816, first Lot of 200 vehicles (numbered 94101 - 94300), completed 3/1960.

The Maroon liveried one on offer, M94291, is from this batch.

John

• RMweb Gold

I have just placed my pre order for three (identically nubered) maroon ones.  Looking forward to incorporating these into a mixed rake with my other parcel vans. (two stoves, Mark one full brake and a short bogie parces van of free lance design made by joining the brake ends of two Mark one Brake 2nd carriages)

• Like 1

39-551Z BR Mk1 4 Whl CCT BR Blue E94628 £19.99  = http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcct/e31a4d9cc

39-552Z BR Mk1 4 Whl CCT BR Express Parcels (Weathered) W94598 £21.99  = http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcct/e205c2a67

39-553Z BR Mk1 4 Whl CCT RTC Livery 024497 £19.99 =   http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcct/e491fdb44

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Premium

Jut pre-ordered a pair of maroon ones but the site did not ask me for any credit card details.  I presume I get a call when these come in?

I ordered some blue ones this morning and I got a confirmation e-mail and then an "order status update" e-mail which says that they will e-mail again to ask for payment when the model arrives in stock.

Regarding numbering and re-numbering etc.  Accurail produce US outline freight vehicles.  They also produce a set of decals to renumber each vehicle type, correct paint and lettering style.  It would be useful if UK manufacturers offered the same.  The Accurail ones are a really good match on the original paint, a little weathering and you cant tell it's a decal.

Another paint scheme for the melting pot.  ADB977113, branded as a QRX at Dover in the 1980s.

post-2484-0-71413400-1395044045_thumb.jpg

Regarding numbering and re-numbering etc.  Accurail produce US outline freight vehicles.  They also produce a set of decals to renumber each vehicle type, correct paint and lettering style.  It would be useful if UK manufacturers offered the same.  The Accurail ones are a really good match on the original paint, a little weathering and you cant tell it's a decal.

Another paint scheme for the melting pot.  ADB977113, branded as a QRX at Dover in the 1980s.

attachicon.gif00000 QRX ADB 977113 Dover Town Yard.jpg

Already done it,

post-512-0-91101100-1395264179.jpg

2nd from left. Now in the hands of angell328,who may or may not be persuaded to post a better pic !! 

Edited by steveb860
  • Like 1

According to GM Kichenside's Ian Allan ABC 'British Railways Coaches' (as at 1/7/62) the majority of the production vehicles received M numbers:

M94101-94454, M94693-94888 and 94893-94922

W94499-94595, 94672-94692 and 94889-94892

E94455-94498 and 94596-94671

None for the SR.

I think the CCT breed was comprehensively well-travelled, Colin.  Whilst Southern pattern CCTs were common on the Scottish by-ways, I'm certain their standard compatriots plied their trade next to a juice-rail....

Is it still possible that some midland, eastern or western region vechiles still jourynied upon SR metals if that is where the parcles were headed?

Absolutely, in the same way that the equivalent Southern planked van types appeared on other regions, as did the GW Siphons, LMS Stoves and LNER 4- and 6-wheel vans. The parcels train is the perfect opportunity to mix and match, and non-bogie vehicles were normally located at the head of the train.

I'm a bit bemused over the blank/alternate number issue at this stage; after all we don't hear that said with respect to many other items of rolling stock (it's a well-trodden ground of poor sales with respect to locos). Re-numbering is an easily achieved task for a modeller; no, I didn't want a BR(E) number on my blue ones but I didn't bat an eyelid at this price a I'm pretty certain any subsequent releases will have a higher price from later production runs when other numbers come around. I'm confident it will be a good product and from a good retailer so I haven't hung around; I know some of the liveries are having very healthy pre-orders so my advice to a fence-sitter is to get in whilst you can on these before they appear in the printed mags.

With Bachmann in particular offering a significant selection of ready-weathered coaches then renumbering becomes somewhat more of a challenge; the air-brushed/sprayed weathering being that much more difficult to match. Of course pre-weathered vehicles also present greater challenges for adding numbers etc. post-purchase.

With Bachmann in particular offering a significant selection of ready-weathered coaches then renumbering becomes somewhat more of a challenge; the air-brushed/sprayed weathering being that much more difficult to match. Of course pre-weathered vehicles also present greater challenges for adding numbers etc. post-purchase.

If I were going to renumber a model, I wouldn't buy the weathered version.

It isn't very difficult to become proficient at weathering, any more than it is to renumber models - but you do have to be prepared to try.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

If I were going to renumber a model, I wouldn't buy the weathered version.

It isn't very difficult to become proficient at weathering, any more than it is to renumber models - but you do have to be prepared to try.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The problem these days is getting hold of a non weathered Bachmann Mk 1 in the first place!