Cutthroat Lane - My 2010 entry

Toftwood

Hi all,

I only came across this last week and it tickled the taste buds somewhat! I know I am a little behind the curve as most of you will have started a couple of months ago.

I have got half way to finnishing (well at least the track was laid, ballasted and working :mellow: ) a layout about 8 years ago, so I have loads of experience......NOT!

My attempt, will be just inside the 2010sq ins, based on a modified (slightly) Ian Rice plan and be based in the industrial North East. Dual level with the lower level divided in half by said Cutthroat Lane. NB: Cutthroat Lane is a small side road near to where I used to live in Dereham, Norfolk.

Industries served will be domestic coal via drops, a Wharehouse/Factory/big building railserved and have not decided on the rest.

I shall be using mostly RTR with kit built and some scratchbuilt. I have a framework already built which needs about 7in taken out to bring it within size.

I will post a track plan and initial photos in the next couple of days.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Sounds good initially, looking forward to seeing the plan & pics soon!

Don't worry about being behind time, although i started soonish after the start date, i haven't done anything on the layout for a good two months now! Not lost interest btw, just not had time, working on other projects etc!

Keep the faith (as Jon said!) and you'll get there - as i see it, this challenge is as much about seeing what each individual can push themselves to, rather than an 'in it to win it' sort of attitude (at least i hope so!).

Cheers,

John E.

Thanks John, for the encouragement. I have all the track I need, and most of the stock already. I have been stockpiling for that 'Layout' that we all want to build but as you say, time spaceand other interests get in the way. hopefully commiting to this will concentrate the mind and get something done.

I have been drawing the plan out on Anyrail at home, which will be posted soon.

Size will be 83inches by 24inches,giving 1992sq in.

Scale is 4mm/OO/16.5

Period will be late steam early diesel ish, J39,J72, cl17, cl24/5 something like that.

Atmosphere is manky industrial buildings coal dust everywhere etc etc.

Not sure yet how to meld in the '5' but tis early days

Pete

A couple of pics of my railway room with the baseboard frame, which still needs to be shortened by 7 inches. Also shown is part of the track plan for the lower level. It is based upon Ian Rice's Livingstone Street track plan.

The net is being v slow tonight (am on dial up) so going to try again Tomorrow.

Pete

Another go.....will have to draw out the plan as I cannot upload an Anyrail file.

If you look in Iain Rice's Book, Designs for Urban Layouts page 34/35 it will give you an idea of what I am hoping to achieve. Time will tell :rolleyes:

Pete

post-2207-12646173953835_thumb.jpg

post-2207-12646176572774_thumb.jpg

post-2207-12646178149731_thumb.jpg

So, progress.Managed to get abit done over the weekend. Cut the boards down, am using some old half inch chipboard that I had as the main surface. I could not believe the price of plywood....??40+ for 1 sheet! Been trying to up load some photo's but its so slow. Will try and do a couple ech reply see if that helps. I have been setting out track to see how it fits and it looks ok so far. Plenty of room for a small loco and a couple of hoppers in the smaller sidings.

post-2207-12650550263825_thumb.jpg

post-2207-12650550742837_thumb.jpg

Guest oldlugger

Looks interesting;

I wouldnt worry too much about the dates or whatever others are doing, go at your own flow and use the deadline as a motivating thing to keep going.

Hello Pete!

This should be a very nice and interesting layout when finished. I agree with Russ here; just enjoy what you are building and use the deadline to keep up your motivation. If you finish it in time that's an excellent added bonus! I'm in the same boat as you having decided to enter a layout in the challenge!

Good luck and all the best

Simon

Thanks Simon.

Fitting it in with all my other interests is going to be the problem. Still its not too big and it s great to have a time limit to work to. I have been browsing the other challengers and there are some awsome modellers out there. I am having FUN though ;) :D

Looking good Pete,

Is the Pub(?) and houses at the front of the layout and the railway glimpsed through them?

Love the large level crossing at an angle, so easy to just build them square!

Basically yes, the houses have only been placed there temporarily as I had them already. Depending how much room the coal yard takes, I may build a corner terrace opposite the Pub/Off Licence with the entrance to the Coal yard at the end of the short street. Cutthroat lane leads diagonally across the layout from front right to rear left. The crossing will be an ungated crossing leading through stone walled entrances. The crossing controlled by a flag man. (wonder if he could be automated?) Must get a plan on here :angry:

I managed to photograph the plan in the book to give you allan idea as to what it should look like.????????The transport depot to the right will be a coal merchant with drops and there wil be other differnces as and when I get round to building each area. Nothing like prior planning eh?????????:huh:

I managed to photograph the plan in the book to give you allan idea as to what it should look like.????????The transport depot to the right will be a coal merchant with drops and there wil be other differnces as and when I get round to building each area. Nothing like prior planning eh?????????:huh:

OOOPs sorry Andy, Have to get the pen out :( :(

Quick sketch and here is the Plan.... at the god knows how many'th attempt :huh: Anyway should be self explanatory except fo the area to the right. Not quite sure what will go in there yet, I like to plan on the hoof so to speak. But along the right retaining wall will be a big factory/manufacturing/engineering etc etc probably going to use Scalescenes factory building in multiple. At the front I have got the Bachmann scalescene Office block so a little diorama I was thinking of doing was to have an opening ceremony for the new offices, you know, tape dignatories scissors etc. :D anyway here is the plan................

post-2207-12654663342764_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete,

Thats looking like a great plan there, i really like dual level layouts! So much more can be going on, literally two layouts in one!

What sort of hight difference are you looking at?

I only ask as it can be a pain if there is not enough room underneath to get your hands on the stock, if and when neccessary!

Oh! and maybe put some low voltage lighting "underneath" so you can see the stored stock! It will be easier to put in while you're building rather than later on!

Cheers,

John E.

Well, Imanaged to get abit more done this weekend. I have cut out the areas for the Coal drops and for the lower level sector plate. In the Photo's you can see I have placed some offcut along the route of the retaining wall just to give an idea.

I have also set out the Off Licence and the terraced houses opposite. You will of course notice something missing, namely the fronts of the houses. The pair have yet to be built but was using the low relief backs the I already had. If there is room, I might put a few more along the right hand edge just to hold everything in.

Having FUN :D :D :D

Pete

post-2207-12655724612236_thumb.jpg

post-2207-12655725669499_thumb.jpg

post-2207-12655727049042_thumb.jpg

post-2207-12655728452176_thumb.jpg

post-2207-12655729529749_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete,

Thats looking like a great plan there, i really like dual level layouts! So much more can be going on, literally two layouts in one!

What sort of hight difference are you looking at?

I only ask as it can be a pain if there is not enough room underneath to get your hands on the stock, if and when neccessary!

Oh! and maybe put some low voltage lighting "underneath" so you can see the stored stock! It will be easier to put in while you're building rather than later on!

Cheers,

John E.

Thanks John, Heightwise probably minimum of 4",nearer 6". Like I said before, I will work that one out when I get to it!!

The lower fiddle yard will be double track possibly with crossover to maximise operation and storage. We are only talking of train lengths of a loco and 3 to 5 wagons at most. ! 5 wagons ;)

Edit; just realised, both levels have 5 points each

Pete, having fun!

Not much happened over the weekend, had other 'domestic' duties to attend to! Did go and see Avatar though, thoroughly recommended.

Back to the layout.... did get to cut out the base for the lower sector plate and have started to fix the board to the frame. No fancy gizmos.. the sectorplate will just slide around a pivot with allignment done by eye. The coal drops have a crossmenber running under it, but will just paint it black to disguise it, the problem of not custom building!

Have done some research, and found a photo of drops at Gateshead which have provided excelent detail. These have a roof but open sides and ends.

Other than that I willprobably have to wait until next weekend to get any more done.

Pete, still having fun ;)

Hiya

Am off sick at the moment, touch of Man Flu ;)

Soooooooooooo have managed to crack on with the layout..... :D

I have finnished off the well for the Coal drops, will get on with the drops themselves shortly. I have also laid the first bits of track, on the lower sector plate and lower fiddle yard on the left hand board. More piccys below.

Both end boards are cut but not attached yet and retaining walls are also next on the list.

Pete

post-2207-126695164338_thumb.jpg

post-2207-12669517434_thumb.jpg

post-2207-12669518409_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey... I have dropped onto page two!

Well I have not been doing nuffink (pardon the double negative). Whilst awaiting the arrival of board connecting things from StationRoadBaseboards, I have got on and cut out the partitions for the coal drops and the retaining walls for the left hand board. No piccys yet but once the boards are capable of being secured together and I have fixed some legs on, I will post a few.

I have taken on board Wordsell Forever's comment that the area for the coal drops is a little deep. So I shall cut the depth by half.

Other jobs coming up once the boards are connected is to sort out how the road, pavements, walls and buildings relate to each other and to lay track onto the right hand board. Hopefully then wire it up and get something moving... :D

Pete

still having fun... :P

• 2 months later...

Well After a break of over 2 months, Doing other things, I will soon be able to report some further progress.

This last week or so I have been building a set of trestles to place the boards on. It may be a cack handed way of doing things..... boards, bit of scenery, some track laying and then building the things that the whole thing stands on! :(

Still I am still having fun..... :P

Pete

Archived