Cutthroat Lane - My 2010 entry

Toftwood

Thanks Paul, I have just been reviewing your latest threads, and viewing the short film that you posted. We are now able to watch youtube at work. I am only on dial up at home.

Glad you had a great first outing..I wonder if mine will will ever get to that sort of quality.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Back again... its a slow old process this layout building init! Managed to get a bit done this afternoon before the Grand Prix, great result by the way! I finished off the trestles and did a bit on top. A couple of pics below.

post-2207-127645805908.jpg

post-2207-12764582102.jpg

post-2207-127645830696.jpg

I have managed to get a bit more track down over the last couple of days, an hour each evening after T keeps everybody happy.

The pics show the loop on the factory board. I might get a chance to do abit more tonight. The big gap in the sleepers by the double slip is where the copper/paxolin will go before splitting the track.

I see a number of posters have gone to the trouble of setting the scene/location/history. Well all I will say is that this is set somewhere just off the River Tyne, east of Newcastle, not sure yet whether it to be north or south banks. The north bank was mainley shipyards almost to the mouth whereas the south bank was generally more 'suburban' so to speak. Thats what I have thought up so far. I did say in an early post that I like to make it up as I go along....Enjoy! I am :lol:

Pete

post-2207-127670914818.jpg

post-2207-127670920352.jpg

post-2207-127670924207.jpg

Hi Toftwood,

Liking this layout, small and compact lots of operational possibilities and scope for any era. Also like the dual layer aspect as said before 2-4-1! Will consider going upwards myself to keep her-indoors happyrolleyes.gif

One thing I did notoce was the low relief tower block, what is it's origin? If itr was scratchbuilt then superb really looks the job.

sxhall

Hi Toftwood,

Liking this layout, small and compact lots of operational possibilities and scope for any era. Also like the dual layer aspect as said before 2-4-1! Will consider going upwards myself to keep her-indoors happyrolleyes.gif

One thing I did notoce was the low relief tower block, what is it's origin? If itr was scratchbuilt then superb really looks the job.

sxhall

Thanks for your comments. The tower block came from a friend who sold his OO guage stuff and went to O guage. I believe it is kitbuilt but I do not know the maker. I could ask him if you are interested? I bought a few things from him including a Townstreet wharehouse that I might try and incorporate in this layout also. The block has lighting fitted as well.

Thanks

Pete

PS: you will notice that it is sat on a lump of MDF. This is from where he cut it out from his layout. I have decided not to attempt to remove it in case of damage to the tower block. So I will create scenery around it to blend it in.

Pete

Hi all...back again :rolleyes:

Have done a bit more track laying. Not a great deal but its in its almost final state for the lower level if you see what i mean! :unsure: :unsure:

I 'dressed it up abit' for the photos, Hope you like them....... :( post-2207-127739228392.jpg

post-2207-12773924259.jpg

post-2207-127739268283.jpg

post-2207-127739285869.jpg

post-2207-127739297613.jpg

Phew....quite impressed myself! The last 2 Photos are taken from opposite ends of 'Cutthroat Lane'

Brill

Must say am impressed with the depth of field of the camera, a Nikon Coolpix P50 compact. 8.1mp

Keep on modlin' :D ;)

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Its starting to get exciting isnt it!! in amongst having 3 weeks off sick with a dicky left paddle (arm, cellulitis) and pottering around the garden, mucking about with my '82 swb landrover to getit through its MOT (it passed yesterday :D ) and messing about with my Motorhome, I have done a bit more on Cutthroat Lane.

The track on the visible side of the lower level is now in place apart from that over the coal drops. The coal drops are almost complete, jobs to be done include another retaining wall, track layed and ramp down fitted.

Next main job I think will be to get some wiring done and see if I have got the sections in the right place.

Photos below of the drops at present.

Pete

post-2207-127867024202.jpg

post-2207-127867031142.jpg

post-2207-127867043163.jpg

post-2207-127867063429.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

Found this photo in DaveF's Gallery, hope it will help with your coal depots.

Hexham coal yard.

Thats brill, thanks Paul. There are 2 photos both of which are really usefull. It shows that chairs were used. I know that area quite well and have a couple photos of Hexham stn but they were taken on an old 110 format camera a long time ago and are pretty useless. The drops had gone by the time i became interested again :( As is so often the case nowadays, its a car park.

• 2 months later...

I was full of good intentions, 3 weeks off sick in Jun, followed by 3 weeks hols then crack on with the layout.......not.!

Working on an old Landrover has diverted most of my time since, the layout however, has not stagnated too much. Managing only a minute or two here and there, I have almost completed the coal drops (pics to follow)

I must wire up the track this week and see if it runs.

More to come ;)

Pete

FIRST RUN TODAY! I soldered up a few droppers on one board and twisted the ends together and ran my Austerity up and down. :D It did show up a bad joint which I will sort.

Some pics below of the Coal Drops. As you can see, each road will take 3 Hoppers. Since these were taken I have made some infils for some of the bays. Almost there, handrails, buffers and planking I think will see it done. Then finnish off the 'Hole'.

When is the end date for the comp?? :unsure:

Pete

post-2207-042775600 1285063082_thumb.jpg

post-2207-011508300 1285063126_thumb.jpg

post-2207-005381500 1285063187_thumb.jpg

post-2207-082018400 1285063229_thumb.jpg

Did a bit more this morning, corrected the dud soldered joint so that works ok now. Also soldered the Double Slip and that works ok. I did identify that I need an additional section put in which is a bit of a bind, but better now that when all the 'concrete' goes down, thats for sure. :blink:

Should lay the planking on the drops in the next day or so and make up the fencing.

Returned to having fun. :D

Pete

Cracked on today,managed to do quite abit. Was going to go to Dereham to see the Cl37 Gala, but looked at the weather this morning and thought .....naaaaaaaaaa!

So I worked on Cutthroat Lane most of the afternoon whilst also watching the Singapore GP.

I have put in the new section, which involved taking up part of the track to insert/replace fishplates with insulating ones and soldering up new feeds. All the lower level wiring has been done to the extent that droppers from each feed are done. Construction of a control panel and completion of the wiring to be done.

I have secured the first if the retaining walls, behind the coal drops. Also started and almost done is the planking over the drops. Fences, buffers and the last planking to be done there. Then painting/weathering and the application of coal to follow.

Also started was laying out of the streets and pavements as can be seen in the photos.

So things are progressing..not fast enough but getting there.

:D

Pete

post-2207-039075300 1285526786_thumb.jpg

post-2207-025930200 1285526845_thumb.jpg

post-2207-074424400 1285526896_thumb.jpg

post-2207-050739300 1285526943_thumb.jpg

A bit more progress to report. I have had most of this afternoon to myself, so have got on and cut the wood for the top level. (pics below) The planking to the drops is done, I am waiting till I can get some Plastic strip for fencing or find some ready made that would be suitable. I have also been doing abit around the houses. Pavements have been mocked up, I have finnished off the set of house backs ready for them to be cut diagonally in half. I have started building the terrace that will go opposite the off license. So, things move on.... :rolleyes:

Pete

post-2207-009832000 1286131512_thumb.jpg

post-2207-015636200 1286131638_thumb.jpg

post-2207-064301800 1286131739_thumb.jpg

post-2207-073666900 1286131872_thumb.jpg

post-2207-064288900 1286131931_thumb.jpg

post-2207-074940200 1286132051_thumb.jpg

post-2207-014590000 1286132158_thumb.jpg

post-2207-035833100 1286132350_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry folks, I have to admit defeat. :( :angry: I have not touched the layout this last 2 weeks. This is not the end for the layout......I will complete it, but not by Sunday!!

Can someone tell/show/move this onto the Layout forum? I will have alook at all the remaining entries of which they are all outstanding, and will be voting.

Good luck everyone bon chance

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Sorry folks, I have to admit defeat. :( :angry: I have not touched the layout this last 2 weeks. This is not the end for the layout......I will complete it, but not by Sunday!!

That's a shame, but it'll be a great layout when it's finished.

• RMweb Gold

The important thing here is that you have started a layout, which is one of the reasons for the challenge and by the looks of the last set of photos, half of it is working.

It will hopefully turn into a cracking little layout. It will certainly have plenty of operating potential. B)

Join the club! At least you're working on it and it's coming along nicely. Can't tell you how to move the thread I'm afraid.

That's a shame, but it'll be a great layout when it's finished.

The important thing here is that you have started a layout, which is one of the reasons for the challenge and by the looks of the last set of photos, half of it is working.

It will hopefully turn into a cracking little layout. It will certainly have plenty of operating potential. B)

Gee thanks guys :D Shame really, I suppose I bit off a little more than i could chew. Still I will finnish it .

Thanks

Pete

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Now I have got over the festive period, wondered at the winner of the challenge, I have dragged Cutthroat lane back into the centre of the room. I have split it apart and am now doing some serious wiring.

Having fun again :D

Pete

Hi all,

Now I have got over the festive period, wondered at the winner of the challenge, I have dragged Cutthroat lane back into the centre of the room. I have split it apart and am now doing some serious wiring.

Having fun again :D

Pete

Hi Pete,

Glad to see you back at it. Looking forward to seeing your progress

John P

Thanks John. No further Pics at the moment as both boards are stripped and standing on edge whilst i get the wiring done.

I have just about finished the coal staithes board, I clipped the wires together yesterday to give it a test and everything worked. I am glad as I was worried about a couple of the soldered joints. All that needs doing on this board is to source a connecting plug to attach to the other board.

The No1 board, still needs more wiring to be done and a control panel to be built. I have switches and a controller.

Back into the swing of things :D :D

Pete

Archived