Christchurch Miniature Railway in 1971

Tim V

Please can anyone help me identify this miniature railway I took some pictures on in 1971. Somewhere between Brockenhurst (where I took some pictures of the goods yard) and Corfe (where I walked the Fayles Tramway).

It was notable for having an ex GW signal.

post-7177-0-86944300-1395430867_thumb.jpg

post-7177-0-79624700-1395430878_thumb.jpg

post-7177-0-60511800-1395430887_thumb.jpg

post-7177-0-65295200-1395430897_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim V

The miniature railway at Christchurch basically run around the outside of a car park and there was a kind of level-crossing where the track crossed the entrance road into the car park. It was right beside the river ( 2nd picture), by the holiday camp which i think has all now been demolished. One of the buildings is in the background of one of the pics.

For a while, Christchurch had two miniature railways, both steam operated, as there was another one up the road at 'Tucktonia' which was an amusment park.

Edited by andy stroud

• RMweb Gold

The Tuctonia railway lives on at Moors Valley Railway ;) Still run by Jim Haylock and Tinkerbell, Talos, Medea and Sapper all still in service.

Never knew about the other Christchurch one so thanks for the pictures :)

Visited Christchurch while on holiday as a child back in 1961 and was most impressed then with the streamlined blue train! Still have a couple of my Dad's glass-backed slides (not to be confused with glass-plate negatives). Got a projector for them somewhere...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Tuctonia railway lives on at Moors Valley Railway ;) Still run by Jim Haylock and Tinkerbell, Talos, Medea and Sapper all still in service.

Never knew about the other Christchurch one so thanks for the pictures :)

As this thread has reappeared I hope you won't mind if I hijack it temporarily and post pictures of these little beauties on the Moors Valley Railway.

Tinkerbell

Talos

Medea

Sapper

All taken on 31st August 2005.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Those pictures of Christchurch took me back! 1971 was the year we moved to the Outer Hebridies So 1970 would have been my last holiday and we went to Mudeford  more than once for out annual holiday. I can just remember that railway!

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

As a quick revival of this thread, the location in Christchurch was referred to as Wick, where there was a foot ferry across the river.

Four earlier photos on Francis Frith here:  https://www.francisfrith.com/search?filter=photo&interest=&q=the+miniature+railway+wick+ferry  If you are searching, it is labelled "Minature Railway, Wick Ferry Holiday Camp", rather than "Christchurch". 

As far as I'm aware, it was not connected to the camp, but happened to be alongside it.

I remember it well.

Dave.

Edited by DLT

• 2 years later...