Martin's modifications - tales from the dining room table, blue era locos, Lots of Mark 2s Airfix conversions

MJI

• RMweb Premium

Current jobs are transfers on WR AC Rake 2 BFKs

Stripping 3 Lima 2B TSOs

Reminding Brian Hanson

And restarted paint on PWM650 as I found it yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Still waiting on Brian so started on some stock for my two closed line BR projects. One is a Cornish branch the other a Worcestershire branch.

Some are kits being found on Ebay, others will be simply modified RTR.

First project will be a BR(W) B Set to be 6461 & 6464 one bought one top bidder on.

One is missing parts but I have a broken one here I can raid for bits.

Kits will mainly be in my kit and scratch thread originally featuring my GRCW 119.

I do now need to learn the different late pre BR non corridors, for both GWR and LMS.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

More news

Managed to get a bad spelling Airfix 2D TSO on Ebay at a good price.

Also just received 2 Airfix B set coaches for my Cornish diversion. Now to hust detailing articles.

• RMweb Premium

Got the B set coaches, well they are crude!!

So far dismantled one.

Removed all truss rods and the wheels, bogie bearings are shot.

Started to fill the extra window.

Making new trusswork from 1.2mm Plastruct L section

Also got another Airfix TSO to do, four in queue.

Not bothering to do door handles and hole redoing, too fiddly and too much chance to make a mess.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So why have I dived off to do some odd vehicles.

1) The ex MR/LMS simply due to the large amount around where I grew up and the closed lines.

Branches can use small ex MR 0-4-4Ts or ex GWR 57xx, I am just going to build a small amount something like no more than 5 locos, 10 carriages, 20 wagons.

2) Ex GWR Cornwall

I am of Cornish heritage and fascinated by the branches.

Also I already have two or three suitable locos (45XX, 22, 43xx, 42)

• RMweb Premium

Battery boxes for the B set have arrived, as have a large amount of roof vents suitable for any stock GWR LMS BR 1 BR 2, well anything pre 2C.

Only got one partial finished aircon plus another 5 to start.

Still trying to get a response from Brian.

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/01/2020 at 17:11, MJI said:

Now going to job list the 3 rakes

Work in last week

Aircon 1 restof

2x 2D TSO E5637 E5648 in primer

Aircon 2 restof

1x 2F FO  W3415 in primer

Aircon 3 BFKs

(2A W14077 / 2D W14159)

making the B parts of W14159

patt1.jpg.2e2baed7225371b978b6249fc41e6aed.jpg

Dimensions

cut1.jpg.f56802697ab0903a1abf2a662f553570.jpg

Cutting it

asm1.jpg.0b4501c6bb5e9aec285066be00bfabc7.jpg

Glueing it together

side2.jpg.f7d8a1231b5075e2ebbb77fba93ff909.jpg

Other side

Struggline with the tools on the W7 boot, I may drop into XP to edit in future as easier.

Now.. should I attempt this with the new Farish coaches :D

Have been following your updates for a while with interest.

Wonder if you could clarify a few things for me.  What coach have you added the windows to, it looks like an Airfix mk2d rather than a Hornby or Lima mk2 a,b or c. 

I was aware Brian had produced frames for Hornby Mk2as, which I once lined up to my Lima Mk2c and the looked a fit.  Are those the frames you have used I've just had a look at the website and could see the glazing for them.

• RMweb Premium

This one is an Airfix.  But frames for 2 are all the same.

I will wait to see what Brian says. These are sized for Hornby holes but not his frames.

2 hours ago, MJI said:

This one is an Airfix.  But frames for 2 are all the same.

I will wait to see what Brian says. These are sized for Hornby holes but not his frames.

Do you know the provide code or have a link to them as I say I can't find the glazing on the website. 

I am keen to flushglaze my Lima Mk 2b or c, not sure which.  I was aware of the frames but wasn't sure how to fit glazing.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Waverley47708 said:

Do you know the provide code or have a link to them as I say I can't find the glazing on the website. 

I am keen to flushglaze my Lima Mk 2b or c, not sure which.  I was aware of the frames but wasn't sure how to fit glazing.

This is a test set

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Back on the PC with a keyboard.

Brian has done a few trial sets for 2AB(C) stock, the large ones with 3 sections above the main section.

5 years ago he produced these window frames and I have converted so far, 2 Hornby, 5 Lima and 1 Airfix, with another, 6 Lima, and 2 Hornby to do.

His new glazing is slightly narrower than the etches so falls through the hole.

The next 8 will complete my mainly 2B Western Region NESW set and my 2ABC Midland region NWSW set.

Problem is to make decent use of these frames you need to slightly file the holes, Lima 0.5mm all around, Hornby remove the taper.

As there are no really good 2BC models it is detailing and conversion time. Mainly Limas as 2B and to 2C with one Airfix to 2C which runs with all other vehicles as aircons.

I currently have 4 aircon, and 2 mark2 PV sets to do, one set I have nearly completed the 47, another is waiting on a 2C BSO windows, another is just waiting unmolested, a 2F 3A set for my 87, my NWSW set can be 86 or 45/1 hauled. I am now up to six areas to do, I want a short length of WCML no stations, just open run, the PAD will be on my main layout, but now have a preserved issue, not sure what to do.

I will be looking at my Lima BFK to 2C BSO tomorrow, with regards to door windows.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So for latest Laserglaze

Lima 47 excellent

Lima 2B doors very good (found one door was difficult to find a big one for but no worry.)

Hornby 2/2A doors excellent

Passenger window, slightly too narrow and low, 0.5mm taler and 0.75mm wider will do it

Toilet / brake window 1mm wider.

Todaty was too dark to photo properly so will do a 47 picture in the week, then pipes and couplings, then returns to its RUB, 1 whole set done.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Time to reawaken this thread.

Been on hiatus since I have had some printing and cutting gear.

Now have 5 of 6 Airfix TSO required for my last WR AC set, one of them will be 2xBSO

• Like 2
  • Agree 1