• RMweb Premium

Ironing Board perhaps?  Can't think of a better use for such a contraption...!

David

I tried our Ironing board under Apa Park, It was the right size and height but I didnt trust the mechanism for keeping it up and taking the weight of layout/stock, it was also a little bit wobbly, which again comes down to trusting it not to topple or collapse.

Couldn't agree more! However it's something a bit more rigid, taller and actually retains the baseboard within the framework (just).

Mike

Now thats just teasing! do share!

The cheap ones are a bit flimsy, if you're thinking about going down that route it might be a shrewd idea to 'persuade' the missus to invest in one of those extra wide expensive boards, they seem to be built like a tank and with wider feet and better construction - less wobble - it should be stable enough to support the weight of a portable layout.

Of course, the only proviso being that you can borrow it occasionally ;)

Edited by Saddletank
  • Like 1

Legs and layout update.

Left to right. Lower crosspiece, upper crosspiece, 2 sets of legs. All simple construction of 2 x 1 and 2 x 2 timber, fixed securely with M8 roofing bolts, washers and wingnuts. The observant among you may have noticed the spare hardboard from the boxes acting as shelf material. The upper crosspiece uses some spare MDF screwed onto the underside of the frame.

post-1303-0-05525300-1399666614_thumb.jpg

post-1303-0-54512500-1399666634_thumb.jpg

post-1303-0-80279000-1399666648_thumb.jpg

post-1303-0-75658200-1399666663_thumb.jpg

post-1303-0-42731800-1399666683_thumb.jpg

The layout just sits on top of the MDF inside the timber frame. It isn't going anywhere!

post-1303-0-29132200-1399666700_thumb.jpg

From the back. It may look like over engineered but it is rock steady and with a curtain around it is very presentable. Extension lead and dcc command station sit on the lower crosspiece shelving.

post-1303-0-43293500-1399666719_thumb.jpg

The floor to rail height on the lower level is 4'.

Mike

• Like 5

What has been done this week with the help/hindrance of my step son is the supporting legs and framework. Took some head scratching how to display a layout that you can't attach anything to, but I think we have a good solution.

Mike

I thought help from stepson usually involved imbibing in the local ale at the local hostelry, assume that's where the head scratching took place

• Like 1

:secret:No doubt some of this loverly rolling stock will find it's way onto Kinmundy when I'm not looking! :secret:

Well... on Crock Croft Depot our backs were turned for less than 37 second and this turned up. Apparently the driver was desperate for the Nettie* and had to make a quick detour from the mainline.

* A long time since I've been able to drop that fantastic North East word into a conversation....

post-508-0-15577900-1399827534.jpg

P (appropriately)

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4

Word must have travelled fast about the quality of the netties as next thing a bl**dy RCTS tour turned up in a DMU.

Looks like they detrained pretty quickly, took some photographs, and then disappeared of to the lurcal booza! (Along with the tail lamp and the BR staff!!!)

post-508-0-59304600-1399829040.jpg 

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4

...Porcy has had many a waz in the Station Hotel at Hurworth Place...and if its good enough for Porcy, its good enough for the Royal Corp of Trains Spotters...

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Liking the quality of the woodworking.

May be a little late or insufficient space but have you thought of connecting the two roads in advance of the platform with a pair of points to introduce more operating potential in the scenic section?

Thanks for the comments on the woodwork. Much appreciated.

There isn't really any space for even a single point in the station throat, especially in EM. There is an implied loop offscene where locos run round and propel stock into the back platform road. I have an Bachmann/High Level 03 to complete, which will probably do duty as station pilot and release incoming locos.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Time to update ahead of Hartlepool next month. There have been some minor tweaks to the box, layout and track after the first outing at Spennymoor. A valuable exercise. This is the state of play a couple of weeks ago, with the bare whiteness starting to disappear. I will try to post regularly in the next few weeks as I hopefully bring this to a conclusion ahead of the show.

post-1303-0-84738500-1403047602_thumb.jpg

post-1303-0-61924600-1403047649_thumb.jpg

post-1303-0-33691700-1403047677_thumb.jpg

Mike

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...