Chris' 2010 challenege layout - Llanllechid

Chris_C

Hi all.

Wasn't originally going to enter this, but I've decided I might as well.

This is a 009 gauge layout based on a fictional extension to the Penrhyn quarry railway. I've left everything quite minimal although there is potential for runing a large number of different trains.

A basic example of a timetable would be:

Morning works train arrives and is shunted into siding by shed. Loco goes on shed.

Empty slate train arrives, the loco runs round, is checked over, then couples back onto the train and takes the empties off to the quarry.

First loco that arrived departs light engine to Port Penrhyn

Loaded fullersite train arrives from quarry, then is run round. Loco goes on shed briefly to take fuel, then train departs.

Loaded slates arrive, train is run round and leaves for Port Penrhyn.

Then there would be a variety of trains after this, including mixed goods trains, maintenance trains, more slate trains (of varying types, there can be fullersite, completed slate, rubble and slab trains), the workmens train would be taken to the quarry, and because of the shed there is plenty of scope for light engine movements/double heading/rescues. There's quite a bit that can be done.

Dimensions are: L : 5ft 10" W 1ft 0.5" (70inch x 12.5inch)

It's getting towards complete but theres still buildings to finish off with lighting (and roofing), and still plenty of detailing that can be done!!!

Pictures for now:

DSCF7309.jpg

DSCF7296.jpg

DSCF7251.jpg

DSCF7279.jpg

DSCF7267.jpg

Current motive power

DSCF6750.jpg

DSCF6761.jpg

Comments and criticism welcomed :)

Chris

Thanks for the comments so far.

The hunslets are reworked Parkside kits. One has a fleishmann motor on the ibertren chassis, so runs smoothly and quietly, the other is just ibertren, and isn't as good. I've orgered a new version of the model from Parkside though, so there'll be a new hunslet soon enough :).

I have no track plan at the moment, but I could sort one out. Here's a picture of the whole layout (taken quite a while back!)...

DSCF6706.jpg

DSCF5294.jpg

Some details

DSCF5271.jpg

Some other details

And a couple of other photos

DSCF7319.jpg

DSCF7288.jpg

Cheers

Chris

Archived