Incorrect frog polarity with Colbolt? Help needed!

Jintyman

Hi all,

I very recently purchased 2 Colbalt DCP-CB1 DCC point motors as I liked the Idea of the simplicity!!!

I have fitted them to a crossover (trailing) and wired them up and set them to an address on my Lenz LH100 (both to the same address so they work in unison).

One works fine, but the other one selects the wrong polarity for the frog!!!!!!  Any ideas???????????

I can't turn the affected one round 180 degrees as it would switch incorrectly!!!

Thanks in advance

Jinty

Ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!

Just solved my own problem!!!! :O

The feed wires have to be fitted in relation to the main bus wires, no matter which way round the colbalt is facing!!!!!!!

Please forgive me, it is early on a Sunday morning!!!!!! :drag:

All working fine now :declare:

Jinty ;-)

I'm not familiar with these motors but usually you have two power wires from the track power (or DCC bus in this case) into a switch then one going out to the frog itself.

It is common and fairly easy to accidently switch the two power wires around the wrong way.

I would suggest that you swap over the two "input" wires into the Cobalt motor for the frog power that isn't working and see if that fixes things?  A quick look at the user manual online would indicate that this is the wires to S1 and S2 on whichever side of the switch you're using (labelled as < and > on the diagram too) and the C wire continues to go out to the frog.

I see you found the solution I was typing at the same time as I suggested it :)  Don't worry, we've all been there and done that.

My greatest achievement failure was accidently swapping over two wires, one from a CDU via a point switch, with the other side of the switch that had a low voltage circuit powering LED's showing which way the route was set.  30v through LED's makes them all glow very brightly before simultaneously exploding...

No problem, there will no doubt be others who will come across the same problem and spend a couple of minutes searching the forum to get to the realisation that it's something that simple, others will spend hours ripping out wiring and redoing things that didn't need doing not managing to fix the problem.

Pretty much every mistake we ever make, you can guarantee that someone, somewhere, is going to do the same.

Archived