High Level Kits

High Level Kits

Hi Chris,

I'm still on the look-out for a drawing of a tiny 10'' Barclay, one of the older type. There's one on the Chasewater Railway:

http://www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk/galleries/spring-gala-2011/

I recall that you've asked about this before: did you get around to contacting Glasgow University Archives who hold this material? The scope and details of the collections are detailed here:

https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/c6033f7d-600a-37d8-98ec-c98913dd81d7

Their site and details of copying services are here: http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/copyingservices/

Contact details are here: https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/locations/b920e43b-a2b7-3614-88f5-a4f5db22d571 - I have had no dealings with Glasgow University Archives through the day job, but have generally found university (and other) archive services helpful. Give them a ring in the new year with your requirements and I'm sure they can assist.

I understand from Mike Edge that drawings are catalogued by works number; while the drawings collection isn't complete, identifiable 10" locos are listed here: http://www.industrial-loco.org.uk/works_list800.htm

Adam

• 3 months later...

I’d just like to update customers on the motor situation, especially those with on-going orders.

Initially, I was given an estimated shipping date of around mid March for the current batch, but this was subsequently moved on to mid April. Now, it’s not looking like that’s going to happen either and, with the time it takes for our super-efficient  Customs to handle things factored in (see above) it’s now looking increasingly unlikely I’ll have them in time for Expo EM (13 & 14 May)  although I’m still hoping otherwise...

I’d just like to let anyone who’s ordered motors know, that I haven’t’ forgotten about them. I won’t be taking any money from anyone’s account,  until the orders are ready to go, unless the motors were ordered at shows and this was agreed at the time.

The delivery dates I gave to customers when they ordered were based on the information I had and, at the time, I had no reason to doubt this. I’ve tried to contact the supplier in Japan for a revised delivery estimate, but have had nothing back yet...  I think things may be a bit ‘up in the air’ over there.

I will update you on the situation as soon as it changes, or if I get any more info from Japan. I appreciate your patience, and apologies for the delay.

Chris Gibbon.

• Like 1

I’d just like to update customers on the motor situation, especially those with on-going orders.

Initially, I was given an estimated shipping date of around mid March for the current batch, but this was subsequently moved on to mid April. Now, it’s not looking like that’s going to happen either and, with the time it takes for our super-efficient  Customs to handle things factored in (see above) it’s now looking increasingly unlikely I’ll have them in time for Expo EM (13 & 14 May)  although I’m still hoping otherwise...

I’d just like to let anyone who’s ordered motors know, that I haven’t’ forgotten about them. I won’t be taking any money from anyone’s account,  until the orders are ready to go, unless the motors were ordered at shows and this was agreed at the time.

The delivery dates I gave to customers when they ordered were based on the information I had and, at the time, I had no reason to doubt this. I’ve tried to contact the supplier in Japan for a revised delivery estimate, but have had nothing back yet...  I think things may be a bit ‘up in the air’ over there.

I will update you on the situation as soon as it changes, or if I get any more info from Japan. I appreciate your patience, and apologies for the delay.

Chris Gibbon.

The motor I ordered at Scale4N was delivered safely today. Thank you.  Excellent service as always, and the update advice was much appreciated.

Thank you, people have been very patient. The stock did arrive, but there was much less than expected of some types so delivery of the remainder has be re-scheduled for June.

This week has been spent trying to get to the bottom of the pile - when I get there, I'll be able to count up how many motors are left... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Adam, tracking down Barclays can be difficult as they often just make alterations to an existing design, and the drawing says refer to another drawing number. A GA would be what I'm looking for.

Having said that, I'll have a trawl through those links, and thanks.

Hi Chris,

I had trouble finding drawings at Glasgow Archive.

You will need to find the 'Loco Bundles Books', as well as the large 3 volumes they let you have. The Bundles books list all the locomotives, and what 'type' they are. Once you find the 10" drawings, then you scoot through the bundles books, and it should list all the locomotives made on that bundle. The erecting GA's stayed at Kilmarnock until quite recently. They're in the system somewhere, but I don't know where!

The bundles book number is GD329/5/20/14 1A-O

Hope that helps,

Ian

Hi Chris,

I had trouble finding drawings at Glasgow Archive.

You will need to find the 'Loco Bundles Books', as well as the large 3 volumes they let you have. The Bundles books list all the locomotives, and what 'type' they are. Once you find the 10" drawings, then you scoot through the bundles books, and it should list all the locomotives made on that bundle. The erecting GA's stayed at Kilmarnock until quite recently. They're in the system somewhere, but I don't know where!

The bundles book number is GD329/5/20/14 1A-O

Hope that helps,

Ian

Ian, thanks very much. That sounds like really hard work - the complications of tracking Barclay stuff down have been putting me off! It's a start though!...

• RMweb Gold

If you want to 'scale off' a 10" Barclay, then I can recommend 'Caledonia Works' over on the West Somerset. The guy who owns it is quite amenable to showing you around, and I think he'd be pretty chuffed (pardon the pun) that someone's interested in his locomotive. The other loco is 'Colin McAndrew', which is Chasewater Railway, I think. I'm sure someone will put me right.

Ian

Edited by tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

Andrew Barclay built a lot of their locomotives as stock items. They would usually have a model of 10, 12, 14, 16 & 18" locomotives 'ready to go', or nearly so, at Caledonia Works. The larger sized locomotives would be both in 4 wheel, and 6 wheel versions. This meant that clients could receive a 'new' locomotive within the week, delivered anywhere in the UK.  Barclay's could also 'loan' locomotives to a client, to keep the business moving. 

Special orders, such as odd sized cylinders, or reduced height locomotives, or non-standard gauge, might take longer. I can well remember the tracks across the road at Kilmarnock, which ran out at a gauge of approximately 7'. Laid into this was a multitude of other tracks, which allowed Barclay to roll most, if not all of the principal gauges of the world. That was some 30 years ago. I guess it's all gone now.

A properly set up Barclay is quite a potent machine, and will stand it's ground against larger machines. It doesn't help to wear dentures, the loco will 'take them out' for you! But, it will get the job done. Writing this, I'm trying to imagine a 10" loco in 4mm. I can only conjure up the expression 'A Watchmakers Art'.

Ian

• Like 1

Andrew Barclay built a lot of their locomotives as stock items. They would usually have a model of 10, 12, 14, 16 & 18" locomotives 'ready to go', or nearly so, at Caledonia Works. The larger sized locomotives would be both in 4 wheel, and 6 wheel versions. This meant that clients could receive a 'new' locomotive within the week, delivered anywhere in the UK.  Barclay's could also 'loan' locomotives to a client, to keep the business moving. 

Special orders, such as odd sized cylinders, or reduced height locomotives, or non-standard gauge, might take longer. I can well remember the tracks across the road at Kilmarnock, which ran out at a gauge of approximately 7'. Laid into this was a multitude of other tracks, which allowed Barclay to roll most, if not all of the principal gauges of the world. That was some 30 years ago. I guess it's all gone now.

A properly set up Barclay is quite a potent machine, and will stand it's ground against larger machines. It doesn't help to wear dentures, the loco will 'take them out' for you! But, it will get the job done. Writing this, I'm trying to imagine a 10" loco in 4mm. I can only conjure up the expression 'A Watchmakers Art'.

Ian

We have the technology!...

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hopefully it's just a temporary glitch but I keep getting "The webpage cannot be found" when trying to visit their website http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/ ?

If it's any comfort I just got some goodies in from Chris yesterday and also noticed a posting from him today in another area of RMweb. He did mention he was busy.

Cheers,

David

Dunno if Chris is aware of the problem. I forgot to mention it to him today. He's at a show all weekend and straight out tonight to attend to a bit of a doo.

I'll ask him the morra.  Watch this space.

P

• Like 1

Enjoying a weekend at a show? Then out at a 'doo'? This is not good enough. Does he not know I'm still waiting for my latest valued order? *harrumph*

Website still giving me an error 404.

...Couldn't get close to Chris's stand at the Blyth show today as it would appear he has something new being launched...Didn't even get a close look at it...An early diesel?

Edited by Axlebox

...Couldn't get close to Chris's stand at the Blyth show today as it would appear he has something new being launched...Didn't even get a close look at it...An early diesel?

A test etch for an 0-4-0DM Fowler, and rather nice it was too. 

Paul A. 

• RMweb Gold

Just been building my first High Level gearbox for a few years. I can't praise Chris's customer service highly enough, it was despatched very quickly and arrived here this morning and was largely completed this afternoon. He seems to have made some improvements in the last couple of years, which make the gearboxes even easier to put together.

I've got a Humpshunter 90:1 ratio, coupled to a Mashima 1020 motor, and the smooth, slow operation of the gearbox is just fantastic.