High Level Kits

High Level Kits

Now look, settle down, this wasn't how I envisaged the publicity for my new chassis turning out!!!

All publicity is good publicity.

post-508-0-98419700-1445431659.jpg

A High Level Chassis yesterday.

If you'd have done a decent 14x 22 Andrew Barclay we'd probably be up to page 934 by now.

Chassis for a Hornby Peckett anyone?

That one doesn't count because it's far too recent. You need to find one from 20+ years ago....

No, no. Just embarrassing.

P  (Starting to settle down)

• Like 2

I was intending making the springs detachable but, when I looked at the instructions for the 3 types of engine, it was pushing the level of complication over the edge. I am running some tests on a few with a view to offering them as an after-market job, and I'm also looking into the possibility of separate valve gear frets, to detail other stuff.

Excellent news on both counts! Will the springing system bear any resemblance to the one shown in Scalefour News 193 a short while back?

Cheers,

David

Excellent news on both counts! Will the springing system bear any resemblance to the one shown in Scalefour News 193 a short while back?

Cheers,

David

Thanks David, , yes it will but it still needs a bit of sorting out and testing.

Nice to chat to you today Chris, I'm very much looking forward to receiving my first HL gearbox. 

Yes you too, let me know if you have any problems. Once you've done one, they're all pretty similar!

All publicity is good publicity.

attachicon.gifHighLevelBillyChron.jpg

A High Level Chassis yesterday.

If you'd have done a decent 14x 22 Andrew Barclay we'd probably be up to page 934 by now.

Chassis for a Hornby Peckett anyone?

No, no. Just embarrassing.

P  (Starting to settle down)

Great pic ; that bridge is a national treasure.

Do you have any info on The Tyne Dock Arches - photos of them seem really scarce. If you have any, post them up...

Great pic ; that bridge is a national treasure.

Bit like you and your chassis then.

Do you have any info on The Tyne Dock Arches - photos of them seem really scarce. If you have any, post them up...

Sadly like everybody else just a memory for me. Great to drive through with an open exhaust. Used to stop at relatives in Railway Street at Tyne Dock and play on top of the arches. Most of the track had been pulled up by then though.

You'd do no better than here looking for images.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Tyne+Dock+arches&num=100&newwindow=1&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCEQsARqFQoTCJ-Zj5jo08gCFYm9FAodtEcJMg&biw=1240&bih=954

This is nifty:

post-508-0-05376700-1445439983.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 7

That’s a good picture Porcy - I knew you must have some use - and those who aren't familiar with the arches, probably won't realise that there were four of them which ran out over the river on staithes. They were truly spectacular... what a model that would make! It’s hard to imagine anyone would want to demolish them!

Well to stop Mr Moan having a bit more twist I thought I would but up this pic of one his 03/04 chassis. It's going under one of Bachmanns latest 03 chassis bodies and  it has moved on a good bit since taking the photo. It virtually falls together and runs as sweet as a nut. It's testament to Twisty's design skills and CAD acumen.

Absolutely no connection at all to Mr Moan apart from taking the mickey out of each other each time we meet.

post-508-0-02756600-1445456444.jpg 

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4

And the premises to be of South Shields model railway society!

attachicon.gif4076554724_0db2ccef77_o.jpg

I thought it was the Railway institute. Didn't realise there was train sets inside. It was from behind there, after sneaking through the gates we could climb up onto the tops. If we came back that way, we'd half inch a couple of empty Brown Ale bottles from a crate and take them to the off sales of a another pub to get the return fee.

Ha, smashing times.

P

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was the Railway institute. Didn't realise there was train sets inside. It was from behind there, after sneaking through the gates we could climb up onto the tops. If we came back that way, we'd half inch a couple of empty Brown Ale bottles from a crate and take them to the off sales of a another pub to get the return fee.

Ha, smashing times.

P

BRSA was downstairs, we sub-let upstairs from them.

• RMweb Gold

Well to stop Mr Moan having a bit more twist I thought I would but up this pic of one his 03/04 chassis. It's going under one of Bachmanns latest 03 chassis bodies and  it has moved on a good bit since taking the photo. It virtually falls together and runs as sweet as a nut. It's testament to Twisty's design skills and CAD acumen.

Absolutely no connection at all to Mr Moan apart from taking the mickey out of each other each time we meet.

attachicon.gifBmann03Mdl-ing-109-EditSm.jpg

P

Coupling rods are an inch out...

(Yes I know.)

Coupling rods are an inch out...

A tad more than 0.333r mm I'm afraid to say. Nothing to do with Mr Chris's rods that are spot on. I cocked up by picking up a 1.7mm reamer instead of the 1.5 and didn't realise until I'd completed reaming both rods.

Resulted in lovely free rods but just a bit too much play for my tastes as there's a bit of angling in the rods when running.

So it's re-bush the rods or make up some bigger crankpin bushes. Bushes look favourite at the moment as I want to fit more accurate bolt heads to the crankpins and pivot point.

Here's a you tube of the chassis running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj8E3412Afw&feature=youtu.be

It's back into the Round tuit pile at the moment until I finish converting the Hunslet 05 to P4.

Here's a before & after of the wheelsets.

post-508-0-28651400-1445521652.jpg

Maybe Mr Chris would consider a chassis for one of these if the demand was there?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifBmann03Mdl-ing-109-EditSm.jpg

P

If it's that good why does it need a traction tyre..?  :blum:

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment, Dave Franks is working his way through the final build of the 64xx chassis. I've been busying myself with, amongst other things, a 94xx chassis although I don't yet have a body. This is about to go off for 1st test etch and is looking promising.

I'm hoping this will end up under either the new Bachmann model, or the Lima model could also offer an alternative solution if customers find the new bodies difficult to find, or too expensive. I've yet to find out what the Lima body is like!...

Chris.

PS see my request for Barclay drawings in Industrial section.

• Like 1