Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

The forecourt of the station (J2792) has a very evocative feel about it.

I like the advert over the clock for the company in Millwall, London.

I wonder how much business they would pick up from Nottingham?

Kimberley Ales. Are they still around or did they get swallowed up (sic)?

Nice set of pictures as usual.

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Premium

And as to the problems with wind, we had a few time the situation of running along a embankment with the smoother shaped body on top of the bulky under frame created a wing effect (the air over the top moving faster than the air underneath) and it was know for it to lift them enough to create wheel spin at 60+ mph.

60 mph in a Pacer? That's as good as being on a ride in a fairground! :jester:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Kimberley Ales (Hardys & Hansons), the usual story I'm afraid. Taken over by Greene King in 2006, brewery shut and brewing transferred to Bury St Edmonds. One or two brands retained such as 'Olde Trip'.

Edited by Leander

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of Nottingham Midland station. The trackwork was looking a bit messy in the first three photos - I guess work on the track would be responsible for that. An interesting looking track machine to be seen in the first photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

This would be because of track layout alterations in preparation for the MAS resignalling with Trent PSB, which came in in Sept (I think) 1969.

Kimberley Ales. Are they still around or did they get swallowed up (sic)?

Nice set of pictures as usual.

Cheers

Keith

Kimberley Ales (Hardys & Hansons), the usual story I'm afraid. Taken over by Greene King, brewery in 2006, shut and brewing transferred to Bury St Edmonds. One or two brands retained such as 'Olde Trip'.

Whilst Kimberley Ales is gone, Shippo's has been resurrected. http://www.shipstones.com/about-2/.

Can't say (on here at least) what Shipstones nickname was... except that it was very alliterative...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that big 0-6-0T in C4133 is a Barclay, wrong wheels, looks like it has Romfords......  Stephenson Hawthorn?

Thanks Neil,

I've at last remembered to look it up - it should be RSH No 40 (works No 7765), built 1954.  I don't know where it came from.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Castle Hedingham photos. Clearly there were a number of stored locos at that time.

The Peterborough photos are superb. Four class 31's in the first photo is a great sight to see. And in C1727, I've looked closely at that Deltic, and it seems the last number could be a two, and with a quite short nameplate, I'm wondering if it could be Crepello?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures David, is the train in c1716 concrete beams from Lenwade?

Was theft a problem at castle hedingham back then, looking at the way the loco's are locked up

• RMweb Premium

Great pictures David, is the train in c1716 concrete beams from Lenwade?

Don't think so Russ, its moving in the up direction.... unless they are rejects ;-)

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Don't think so Russ, its moving in the up direction.... unless they are rejects ;-)

Andy G

My mistake Andy didn't look at it properly thought at first it was entering platform five

C1716 - it does look like oversize concrete beams on special wagons. Perhaps it came from E Anglia and reversed N of Peterborough - could have required a special route to its destination - possibly the reason for the 9X headcode.

C1716 - it does look like oversize concrete beams on special wagons. Perhaps it came from E Anglia and reversed N of Peterborough - could have required a special route to its destination - possibly the reason for the 9X headcode.

What are the wagons with bolsters and wheel-handbrakes at each end?   Converted armour plates?

Bill

Class 9 freight: (J) Mineral or empty wagon train.

(K) Pick-up branch freight, mineral or ballast train. (Wiki)

X signified that it was an inter-regional special working.

More likely they're from Tallington. The Dow-mac plant there made concrete beams for al types of buildings, bridge beams were regularly sent as out of gauge loads by rail.

C3445. That 47526 in blue with full under frame tanks, plated over universal boiler ports on roof and plain blue. That may end up as a likely candidate for one of my expanding fleet of HJ tubby duffs.

47526 is a dual heat loco the boiler exhaust is just behind the cab door. The area that is plated is where a Clayton exhaust would be , not a Spanner 3.

C1725:  1C15 was the 16:48 or 16:52 (probably the latter by 1974) Peterborough to Harwich Parkeston Quay, rather than Norwich. 27th must have been a Saturday as it had a 37 on it, usually a 31/1 on weekdays.

C1727:  I agree with Rob (#9531), I was going to suggest 55 012 as well.

47526 is a dual heat loco the boiler exhaust is just behind the cab door. The area that is plated is where a Clayton exhaust would be , not a Spanner 3.

Sorry, missed that. So does that mean it is one of the "universal" boiler roofs?

• RMweb Gold

C1725:  1C15 was the 16:48 or 16:52 (probably the latter by 1974) Peterborough to Harwich Parkeston Quay, rather than Norwich. 27th must have been a Saturday as it had a 37 on it, usually a 31/1 on weekdays.

C1727:  I agree with Rob (#9531), I was going to suggest 55 012 as well.

Many thanks for the details.

I've checked, it was a Saturday.

General tip - to check dates and days of the week simply type "Calendar 1974" (or whichever year) into Google.

David

What are the wagons with bolsters and wheel-handbrakes at each end?   Converted armour plates?

Bill

Yes. The diagram books on Barrowmore site show special wagon diags 800 - 804 which are for the Pool 6301 the Lenwade conversions. And a fascinating collection. I have some poor photos of them in http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brarmel 

I have little doubt that the train is of Lenwade concrete.

Paul