Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

C1727, I've looked closely at that Deltic, and it seems the last number could be a two, and with a quite short nameplate, I'm wondering if it could be Crepello?

C1727:  I agree with Rob (#9531), I was going to suggest 55 012 as well.

Chronicles of Napier agrees. On 27 July 1974, 55012 worked:

1A11 08:25 Newcastle - King's Cross.

1L33 16:05 King's Cross - Harrogate, "The Yorkshire Pullman".

• RMweb Gold

Class 9 freight: (J) Mineral or empty wagon train.

(K) Pick-up branch freight, mineral or ballast train. (Wiki)

X signified that it was an inter-regional special working.

Class 9 in the 70s denoted any unfitted loose coupled train (i.e. mostly mineral and engineering traffic by then), having replaced the steam age 'J' and 'K' classes denominated by lamp position code; 'Modernisation Plan' diesels showed this as discs.  Speed is restricted to 25mph, and instanter couplings are in the 'long' position; no vacuum or air brakes on the train are capable of being worked from the loco, and the driver controls the train with the loco's 'straight air' brake assisted by the guard in the van at the rear of the train using his handbrake.

X denotes and out of gauge load or other load running under special instructions.  Any other special working, inter-regional or not, would have been 'Z'.  I am unfamiliar with Lenwade and have not seen these wagons before; they look to be on an 8 wheel solid chassis, and may well have been required to run under special instructions, as I imagine they were subject to restrictions as to what curves they could run through.

The second set for today were all taken at Peterborough.

attachicon.gifp Peterborough 2x Class 31 Skegness to Kings Cross on left 2nd loco is 31219, 2xClass 31 light engine on right 27th C1710.jpg

Peterborough 2x Class 31 Skegness to Kings Cross on left 2nd loco is 31219, 2x Class 31 light engine on right 27th C1710

attachicon.gifp Peterborough Class 37 up freight 27th July 74 C1716.jpg

Peterborough Class 37 up freight 27th July 74 C1716

attachicon.gifp Peterborough Class 37 Peterborough to Norwich 27th July 74 C1725.jpg

Peterborough Class 37 Peterborough to Parkeston Quay 27th July 74 C1725

attachicon.gifp Peterborough Class 55 down Yorkshire Pullman 27th July 74 C1727.jpg

Peterborough Class 55   55012 down Yorkshire Pullman 27th July 74 C1727

attachicon.gifp Peterborough 47526 up ex pass 10th Aug 77 C3445.jpg

Peterborough 47526 up ex pass 10th Aug 77 C3445

David

2 x 31s on a Skegness service was uncommon. I'm pretty certain that it was an FP 47 working by then. A last minute failure may have caused the substitution.

Yes. The diagram books on Barrowmore site show special wagon diags 800 - 804 which are for the Pool 6301 the Lenwade conversions. And a fascinating collection. I have some poor photos of them in http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brarmel 

I have little doubt that the train is of Lenwade concrete.

Paul

Presumably the concrete sections have undertaken a tortuous journey via Norwich, Ely, March and Spalding in order to approach their destination from the right direction for the unloading siding?

• Like 1

Class 9 freight: (J) Mineral or empty wagon train.

(K) Pick-up branch freight, mineral or ballast train. (Wiki)

X signified that it was an inter-regional special working.

X exceptional load with special route restrictions as this is oversize concrete beams!

Mark Saunders

Presumably the concrete sections have undertaken a tortuous journey via Norwich, Ely, March and Spalding in order to approach their destination from the right direction for the unloading siding?

They would have gone round the West Curve at Ely North Junction if so. A trip via the station would have turned them. 

2 x 31s on a Skegness service was uncommon. I'm pretty certain that it was an FP 47 working by then. A last minute failure may have caused the substitution.

The Saturday Skeggy was always a FP 31 turn, at least in practice even if not in theory. Double heading wasn't uncommon but not the norm, with 8 or 9 mk1s single locos would have struggled. Type 4s weren't that common. My memory suggests up to 1981 I'd seen more Deltics on that train than 47s and I think the records show less than a dozen appearances for them.

C3445. That 47526 in blue with full under frame tanks, plated over universal boiler ports on roof and plain blue. That may end up as a likely candidate for one of my expanding fleet of HJ tubby duffs.

Mazak rot or simply adding to your collection?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's from the Trent and Lincolnshire areas. There are some really good bridges to be seen, and I've always admired the Keadby Bridge. A fine example of engineering and design.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Class 9 in the 70s denoted any unfitted loose coupled train (i.e. mostly mineral and engineering traffic by then), having replaced the steam age 'J' and 'K' classes denominated by lamp position code; 'Modernisation Plan' diesels showed this as discs.  Speed is restricted to 25mph, and instanter couplings are in the 'long' position; no vacuum or air brakes on the train are capable of being worked from the loco, and the driver controls the train with the loco's 'straight air' brake assisted by the guard in the van at the rear of the train using his handbrake.

X denotes and out of gauge load or other load running under special instructions.  Any other special working, inter-regional or not, would have been 'Z'.  I am unfamiliar with Lenwade and have not seen these wagons before; they look to be on an 8 wheel solid chassis, and may well have been required to run under special instructions, as I imagine they were subject to restrictions as to what curves they could run through.

They were carried on two bogies, of a type I've not seen elsewhere. There were similar wagons that used a pair of the LMS bogies that Cambrian use on their LMS 'Salmon'. I believe they did work from Dowlais with ingot moulds at one time. The 'X' code might be carried for a number of reasons:-

The load might be 'tight to gauge', such that the Load Inspector might need to check it passing certain locations

It might have to be routed to avoid sharp or reverse curves.

It might have to arrive at the destination orientated in a certain manner to faciliate installation- I can imagine they'd want to avoid turning beams like this through 180 degrees.

'X' codes are still used; regular one can be for car-carriers (to avoid having to reverse vehicles off) , trains carrying military material (gauging) and trains with the inclined-deck points carriers (to avoid having to turn the load in a restricted space)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

by that date there would have been few 4 wheel Girdwags around, so presumably are these. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brgirderwg

Not Pollens, which were 6 wheeled!

Paul

I believe part of the planning for using Girwags was to "allocate" a bogie bolster wagon to be in the right place at the right time to facilitate the transfer of them to the starting and finishing points, as they couldn't travel as wagons when they were unloaded.

Mike.

I believe part of the planning for using Girwags was to "allocate" a bogie bolster wagon to be in the right place at the right time to facilitate the transfer of them to the starting and finishing points, as they couldn't travel as wagons when they were unloaded.

Mike.

There were wagons allocated to transport the 'Girwags', and later, the 'Congers' to and from jobs. In later BR days these were SPA 4-wheel Plates, and later, BDA bogie bolsters. I believe there may have been a van of some description to carry chains and straps.

There is a nice photo of former BDA 950153 on page 81 of 'BR Air-Braked Wagons' by David Ratcliffe. The load is a pair of 'Congers', whilst the text mentions that there were, in 1990, six bridge-beam carriers in service, two being ex-GWR 'Girwags'.

Edited by Fat Controller

Pedant mode:

The correct name for "Keadby Bridge" is "The King George V Bridge".

It used to open, but hasn't since the fifties, after it couldn't close due to having expanded in hot weather. It carries the a18 as well as the railway, and has now a footpath cantilevered off the roadway side.

The wharves in the area still do lots of trade.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pedant mode:

The correct name for "Keadby Bridge" is "The King George V Bridge".

It used to open, but hasn't since the fifties, after it couldn't close due to having expanded in hot weather. It carries the a18 as well as the railway, and has now a footpath cantilevered off the roadway side.

The wharves in the area still do lots of trade.

Jeff,

Thanks for reminding me of the correct name.

I've only been over the bridge on a train a few times but in the sixties often went under it on boats going up and down the River Trent.

To river users it was just Keadby Bridge then.

David

• Like 2