Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Thanks for posting those, Dave. They bring back happy memories of spotting along the ECML after returning from holidays in Scotland in the early 80s. My dad and I often used to sit on the platform at Belford station watching the trains go by. It's all fenced off now unfortunately, due to health and safety of course. We managed to survive somehow though fortunately.

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Same here, but Chathill!  I soon found it was impossible to read the number of a Deltic passing at 100mph a few feet away!

And now, of course, all you have to do is post a picture here of an unidentified Deltic and someone will usually be able to tell you which one it is before the day is out.

I had a close encounter with a Deltic at St.Margaret's MPD back in the 60's. The depot straddled the ECML and the main shed was reached by crossing the main line with the aid of crossing warning lights due to the proximity of the tunnel (Calton tunnel I think) well I ventured across on the green but got distracted an lingered looking at something till I heard the horn blasting! Guess what, I even got the number D9012 'Crepello' - skill, dedication or what? Stupidity comes to mind.  :scared:

I had a close encounter with a Deltic at St.Margaret's MPD back in the 60's. The depot straddled the ECML and the main shed was reached by crossing the main line with the aid of crossing warning lights due to the proximity of the tunnel (Calton tunnel I think) well I ventured across on the green but got distracted an lingered looking at something till I heard the horn blasting! Guess what, I even got the number D9012 'Crepello' - skill, dedication or what? Stupidity comes to mind.  :scared:

It sounds like it was more like Crapello if pardon my French.  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Dave. I like the Northumberland photo's. In the last two at Buston Barns, I think that, from what I can see, the up line, at the time of those photo's, was still 60' flat bottom track panels. I wonder if this was one of the last sections of the ECML to have still been jointed track?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Dave. I like the Northumberland photo's. In the last two at Buston Barns, I think that, from what I can see, the up line, at the time of those photo's, was still 60' flat bottom track panels. I wonder if this was one of the last sections of the ECML to have still been jointed track?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I still remember being very surprised to see the jointed track there.  Those photos were taken on my first visit to Buston Barns, a few weeks after I moved into Northumberland.  Until then I had assumed that all the ECML had welded rails.

David

I still remember being very surprised to see the jointed track there.  Those photos were taken on my first visit to Buston Barns, a few weeks after I moved into Northumberland.  Until then I had assumed that all the ECML had welded rails.

David

If you count the slow lines as part of the ECML, the speed on the slow between Grantham and Peterborough is 80mph so slow is a bit relative I think, the last jointed track has only been replaced in the last couple of years. I think there may still be a short section between crossovers at Tallington on  the down slow, still 80mph though.

Mum's hospital appointment went well this morning.  I took her to the Cramlington A&E hospital in good time for her 9.10 appointment and was able to park near the entrance.  She was given a bleeper to inform her of when she was to go to be seen, she saw the doctor at 9.00 and we were back at her flat at 9.50.

It is confirmed that she has a broken metacarpal, treatment is splints fastened with Velcro, she is allowed to remove them so she wash her hand.  Hopefully it will heal within eight weeks.

A lot better outcome than I had feared.

Today's photos have only one things in common - they were all taken in Yorkshire.

attachicon.gifIlkley Junction Ivatt Class 4MT track lifting train Nov 66 J698.jpg

Ilkley Junction Ivatt Class 4MT track lifting train Nov 66 J698

attachicon.gifClapham Yorks LMS Class 5 down freight Dec 66 J717.jpg

Clapham Yorks LMS Class 5 down freight Dec 66 J717

attachicon.gifOldcoates South Yorkshire Joint Railway April 69 J1608.jpg

Oldcoates South Yorkshire Joint Railway April 69 J1608

attachicon.gifHarworth near Embankment and bridge remains over river South Yorkshire Joint Railway April 69 J1609.jpg

Harworth (near)    Embankment and bridge remains over river    South Yorkshire Joint Railway April 69 J1609

attachicon.gifOrgreave Colliery Junction NCB 0-6-0DS approaching Jan 79 C4332.jpg

Orgreave Colliery Junction NCB 0-6-0DS approaching Jan 79 C4332

attachicon.gifRotherwood sidings Orgreave Colliery 76053 76046 76035 Jan 79 C4335.jpg

Rotherwood sidings Orgreave Colliery 76053 76046 76035 Jan 79 C4335

David

Hi David, some great photos you are sharing on here, the one at Oldcotes (J1608) is of particular interest as it is about  a mile from where I live and is part of the route to Firbeck Colliery. I walk my dogs along the site of the colliery sidings at the end of the line each day. This photo is the first I have seen of that section of line and I wondered if I may use it in a book I am planning to do please? Regards Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi David, some great photos you are sharing on here, the one at Oldcotes (J1608) is of particular interest as it is about  a mile from where I live and is part of the route to Firbeck Colliery. I walk my dogs along the site of the colliery sidings at the end of the line each day. This photo is the first I have seen of that section of line and I wondered if I may use it in a book I am planning to do please? Regards Chris

No problem Chris.

I've sent you a PM.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of Ashington and Woodhorn today. In C7309, its great to see that Class 14. I wonder how long it lasted for after that photo was taken?

In C8525, it is good to see two Hunslet DS shunters. Also the brake vans are interesting with those yellow painted ends.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Ashington and Woodhorn in Northumberland today.

The photos are mainly NCB.

For some reason a number of the slides from which these were scanned had not survived well.

attachicon.gifAshington Hirst Lane LC, view towards Lynemouth 12th Aug 85 C7120.jpg

Ashington Hirst Lane LC, view towards Lynemouth 12th Aug 85 C7120

attachicon.gifAshington left line to Butterwell and Ashington colliery, right line to Lynemouth from south junction 12th Aug 85 C7122.jpg

Ashington    left line to Butterwell and Ashington colliery, right line to Lynemouth from south junction 12th Aug 85 C7122

attachicon.gifAshington NCB ex BR Class 14 and brake van 18th Feb 86 C7309.jpg

Ashington NCB ex BR Class 14 and brake van 18th Feb 86 C7309

attachicon.gifb Woodhorn self propelled crane at colliery crossing 21st June 86 C7593.jpg

Woodhorn self propelled crane at colliery crossing 21st June 86 C7593

attachicon.gifAshington Hunslet 0-6-0DS 2120201 and 2120208 25th May 87 C8525.jpg

Ashington Hunslet 0-6-0DS 2120201 and 2120208 25th May 87 C8525

attachicon.gifb Woodhorn crane 29th Dec 99 C24720.jpg

Woodhorn crane 29th Dec 99 C24720

David

Great pictures - those Hunslets look just like the proposed NGS ready to run models!

Regards,

Roy Marshall

A few from the fairly early days at the Midland Railway Butterley for this afternoon.

attachicon.gifButterley Class 03 2271 and Barclay 0-4-0CT Stanton No24 Aug 75 C2259.jpg

Butterley Class 03 2271 and Barclay 0-4-0CT Stanton No24 Aug 75 C2259

David

2271 is a Class 04. I like Class 03s but I like Class 04s a bit more!

I have waited 192 pages since page 192 to mention this because I wanted to make a Deltic, hexadecimally speaking!

• RMweb Premium

C8525.

The front loco is a Hunslet 50 tonner, but I think the rear one has more of a Barclay look to it. It looks similar to those supplied to the CEGB

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of Ashington and Woodhorn today. In C7309, its great to see that Class 14. I wonder how long it lasted for after that photo was taken?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob

Looks to me like that Class 14 has headlights. D9504 and D9525 were both so fitted so how long did they last?

D9504....http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/engines/9504_index.htm - used on construction work at Whitemoor, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1XRbUuKrcQ

D9525....http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/engines/9525_index.htm - in her previous life http://www.miac.org.uk/class14.html#brd9525 and also lives on in 4mm! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4BbGAJ0I9g

Couldn't find any others at Ashington with headlights. Hope that helps

Phil

• Like 1

The Great Northern line from Grantham to Nottingham again today.

There are more photos from Radcliffe on Trent and one at Scarrington crossing which is between Aslockton and Bingham.

attachicon.gifScarrington Crossing Class 114 Nottingham to Grantham 25th Feb 77 C3225.jpg

Scarrington Crossing Class 114 Nottingham to Grantham 25th Feb 77 C3225

David

That's very thin looking route indicator on that colourlight! Super moment in time photo with both old and new signals standing together.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scarrington and Radcliffe on Trent photos. a just mentioned, the colour light signal in the first photo has such a thin theatre route indicator. And I like seeing 25286 you n that last photo. The photo is a great composition.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

That's very thin looking route indicator on that colourlight! Super moment in time photo with both old and new signals standing together.

Hi, Dave. I like the Scarrington and Radcliffe on Trent photos. a just mentioned, the colour light signal in the first photo has such a thin theatre route indicator. And I like seeing 25286 you n that last photo. The photo is a great composition.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I'm not convinced it is a route indicator.  I have always assumed it is an "X" denoting the signal is not (yet) in use as it seems very close to the semaphore.

David

• Like 1