Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Fabulous views of the S&C with my particular favourite prominently featured its better than.... discipline Michael, lets keep it clean! I'll be scouring these for any new snippets Dave, cheers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What fabulous photos of the S & C at Dent. I particularly like the photo of Arrow. What a sight the Britannia makes, so neglected, but with a white painted smokebox door dart handle, straps, and on the deflectors a painted nameplate.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

Just think, even the coal train in the last photo is history now. Class 60s almost all gone, the HAAs all gone, even coal trains themselves almost extinct.

I know.

I looked at the UK electricity generation figures the other day (sunny and windy); and coal was only contributing 3% to UK demand.

Pilmoor Class 40 D277 up freight March 67 J782  What a lovely freight! Insulated van at the front and three Lowmacs apparently loaded with some military vehicles. And lots of other variety.

Blowing the picture up, I think they are BMC FG Crew buses of B R. The clue being the yellow stripe below the back doors, and what appears to be white lettering on the sides.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of the Blyth and Tyne today, at Winning and Freemans Crossing. The photos of 56 133 and 56 134 are excellent, showing two 56's in the same livery and overall condition. They would make great models.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I know.

I looked at the UK electricity generation figures the other day (sunny and windy); and coal was only contributing 3% to UK demand.

J642..

i can't find a working with that headcode, but one very close to it is a Dagenham Dock to Healey Mills service.

Great to see more B&T pics. Winning is still a good location for photos and little has changed in 30 years, except.of course, the motive power!

post-7898-0-28102800-1491334487_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Dent Head EWS Class 60 60024 down empty coal 22nd April 03 C26255

David

Is the date and/or number right Dave ? - I've found 60024 was in Acton on 19 April and again on the 24 April - on stone workings. It's possible, but not probable - that it had a quick trip on the S&C in the middle.

• RMweb Gold

Is the date and/or number right Dave ? - I've found 60024 was in Acton on 19 April and again on the 24 April - on stone workings. It's possible, but not probable - that it had a quick trip on the S&C in the middle.

Many thanks for the information

The date is right, I've just checked it in my diary for the year.  It is quite possible that I wrote down the wrong number in my notes at the time.

The numbers are to small on the original scan to make them out, so it may have to remain  a mystery.

David

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the information

The date is right, I've just checked it in my diary for the year.  It is quite possible that I wrote down the wrong number in my notes at the time.

The numbers are to small on the original scan to make them out, so it may have to remain  a mystery.

David

Mystery solved - I think its 66024 - hard to be sure but the markings on the side look to be a 66 rather than a 60 (66s have the zig-zag, 60 were straight lines)

• RMweb Gold

Mystery solved - I think its 66024 - hard to be sure but the markings on the side look to be a 66 rather than a 60 (66s have the zig-zag, 60 were straight lines)

Looking at the photo enlarged it defiantly is a 66.

I think I need new reading specs.

It is quite obviously a 66.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Woodhead photos. They are a reminder of a line that went in July 1981, and will never be reopened. It's great to see the class 76's at work, doing what they were designed for with so little effort.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Dave, many thanks for posting Woodhead phots. One of my lasting regrets was only making a couple of trips to Guide Bridge and only once to Torside before line closed. Makes me realise how lucky it was that S&C managed to avoid same fate.....

Winding all the way back to the "Sleepers at Kineton MOD depot" postings, not had a look on line for some time - I wonder if the slots were to allow a T-bar type of handle to be inserted, to make moving the sleepers relatively easy with a few strapping squaddies to hand?

Dave, many thanks for posting Woodhead phots. One of my lasting regrets was only making a couple of trips to Guide Bridge and only once to Torside before line closed. Makes me realise how lucky it was that S&C managed to avoid same fate.....

Yes, likewise. I made quite a few visits to Reddish, Guide Bridge, Wath, Rotherwood & Tinsley during the 70s but only ever saw any 76s working on a handful of occasions at the latter two locations plus at Godley Jn. I also saw the odd one on Crewe Works during visits but that was about it. I've got plenty of photographs but all of mine are static, barring one taken from above as one threaded through the cutting into Tinsley Yard.

I never got to ride the Woodhead route and never got out onto it properly for photography. As you say, a lasting regret.

• Like 1