Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful selection of photo’s from Wales in August, 1969. The last photo’ at Tywyn, on the Talyllyn Railway, with number 4 Edward Thomas, going away, is so atmospheric, so bucolic. The attraction of that railway is so clear to see.
The photo’s of Carlisle are an excellent set, and show a good selection of trains, along with some large amounts of litter on the tracks in the last two photo’s.

In the first photo’ with 90001and 86246, on the 12th April, 1988, the 90 will have been nearly new, and the 86 looked good in a rendition of the electric blue livery. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave, cracking photos as usual and thanks for sharing. In C5464 wouldn't the LEV1 be heading east towards Grantham from Bottesford?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, iands said:

Hi Dave, cracking photos as usual and thanks for sharing. In C5464 wouldn't the LEV1 be heading east towards Grantham from Bottesford?

I'm sure I typed east and the computer changed it to west.

Many thanks,

David

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

36 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I'm sure I typed east and the computer changed it to west.

Many thanks,

David

I'm glad that kind of thing doesn't only happen to me 🙂

Many thanks for sharing all of the brilliant photos.

All the best,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Is ever there was a photo that shows how dismal the '70s often were, then C787 at Ardwick may be it 😊

J2174 is good for the fact that everything is so dull and muted, colour-wise except for the yellow end of the loco

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, keefer said:

Is ever there was a photo that shows how dismal the '70s often were, then C787 at Ardwick may be it 😊

J2174 is good for the fact that everything is so dull and muted, colour-wise except for the yellow end of the loco

To be fair I rather see railways like this rather than overgrown and graffiti on everything with a garish liveried foreign unit, but I am getting old!

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. What a superb set of random photo’s, each one is a gem. The first one, in addition to being an excellent example of an ‘Everyday Railway ‘ photo’, at Ardwick with a class 506, with M59406 leading from Hadfield, in January, 1972, thanks to the smudge above the middle of the bufferbeam, M59406 looks very sad and tearful.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

For me, the shot of this batch is the Brocklesby Junction picture (J2174) of 1888 on oil tanks. Yet another shot that highlights how magnificent Brush 4's looked, in (clean) two-tone green with full yellow ends. A lovely study of both train and environment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, keefer said:

I thought Manchester was always like that.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

36 minutes ago, 62613 said:

isn't that 506 going to Hadfield, Ardwick being an island platform?

Today it would be as only the island platform is in use, but back then there was a third platform at the station entrance and that is where the Hadfield bound services called.  Ardwick was and remains a very oddly located station, difficult to get to and without a real purpose - it was good to stand at and trainspot from, and I guess for Great Universal workers (at the time), it was great for getting the train to/from work from.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Today it would be as only the island platform is in use, but back then there was a third platform at the station entrance and that is where the Hadfield bound services called.  Ardwick was and remains a very oddly located station, difficult to get to and without a real purpose - it was good to stand at and trainspot from, and I guess for Great Universal workers (at the time), it was great for getting the train to/from work from.

That's what confused me. I've only been using the line reasonably intensively since about 2006, and as far as I knew, Ardwick had always been like it is now. I think there are only about two trains a day call there now; one in the morning peak and one in the evening. 

Edited by 62613
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, 62613 said:

That's what confused me. I've only been using the line reasonably intensively since about 2006, and as far as I knew, Ardwick had always been like it is now. I think there are only about two trains a day call there now; one in the morning peak and one in the evening. 

Not even that, there is only one call at 1640 to Rose Hill Marple presently. The reduced timetables mean the service has effectively become unidirectional.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Thank you for posting the extra photo’s of Ardwick, and, again, in the first photo’ of class 506, with car M59607, leading a Manchester to Hadfield service on the 8th May, 1971, it again looks down and sad. I wonder if all the 506 driving cabs, in yellow, were the same?

Well, the GWR steam locomotive photo’s are fascinating, and in the last photo’ at Paddington, with an unidentified Hall class, on an up express passenger train in c1948, you can see that the board on the smokebox door is slightly askew. Not everything in steam days was perfect.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveF said:

Some old black and white photos of Great Western locos today.

218098738_Banbury6803BuckleburyGrangeupexpassc1949JVol7083.jpg.3a5ebebd49eecba73dcae32373807848.jpg

Banbury 6803 Bucklebury Grange up ex pass c1949 JVol7083

1677442761_BanburyGWR6698lec1948JVol3119.jpg.9b061a7d847fa8f01cafaf4460927713.jpg

Banbury GWR 6698 le c1948  JVol3119

997107020_MoretonintheMarshCastleClass5086ViscountHorneexpassPaddingtontoWorcesterc1951JVol6075.jpg.230d861a4d2956d06af86ffca936dc8f.jpg

Moreton in the Marsh Castle Class 5086 Viscount Horne ex pass Paddington to Worcester c1951 JVol6075

756525959_PaddingtonCastleClass5004LlanstephanCastlec1950JVol7367.jpg.da82cfc546632c3c3e87c939fae71cf8.jpg

Paddington Castle Class  5004 Llanstephan Castle c1950 JVol7367

614517375_PaddingtonHallclassupexpassc1948JVol7288.jpg.b581a29e5c5d8ec54910a8985321d5fa.jpg

Paddington Hall class up ex pass c1948 JVol7288

David

Nice selection there, David. JVol7288 especially, I like the slightly squint reporting numbers on the smokebox, I don't know why I just do! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Market65 said:

it again looks down and sad. I wonder if all the 506 driving cabs, in yellow, were the same?

I think they were, at least my brain is telling me they were.

No doubt someone will come along in 5 seconds and give me it straight! ;)

That's the wonderful thing about this forum, so many people know so many things about so many things!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hexagon789 said:

I think they were, at least my brain is telling me they were.

No doubt someone will come along in 5 seconds and give me it straight! ;)

That's the wonderful thing about this forum, so many people know so many things about so many things!

Well this is somewhat later when the blue was relieved with some grey, and this one seems to be going the same way...

m59404m.JPG.fb476673f74ebc22f998658cd013dc8e.JPG

• Like 13