Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

Excellent pictures today, David. The Deltic in C174 is D9012 CREPELLO, not D9002 (whose nameplates were about four times the size).

Many thanks, I've got the caption right now.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent selection of replacement photo’s of High Dyke from 1969 and 1971. In C168, with a class 47, D1893, in green, on an Edinburgh to London Kings Cross express, in November, 1969, you have captured a great ground level shot of the locomotive and train. 
The Newcastle Central station photo’s from 1989 to 1991 show how the station changed over that period. In C13860, with 143325, on the 16th August, 1989, the other units visible are a class 142 and a class 101.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst the 310 in C5213, is not exactly beautiful, it is most certainly much much better than what the cost saving measures applied to the design of the 312 in C5201 is.

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb selection of replacement photo’s of Birmingham New Street from October 1978 and 1980. In C5214, with an unidentified class 31, on a Norwich to New Street terminating service, in October, 1980, the weathering will be of help to modellers, including the very slightly askew dominoes in the headcode box - unless I’m seeing things.

The lastest Switzerland photo’s, of Biel/Bienne, from the 16th August, 1988, are an excellent set, and convey the way the tree covered mountains dominate everything including the railway. In C11317, at Biel, with Ae3/6i, 10699, the locomotive looks great in the three quarter portrait shot. It’s hard to believe it was 60 or so years old at the time of the photo’, it was clearly well looked after.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

J1191 is a very good (and fairly rare) shot of D12 which may be useful for modellers. At the time, as built, it had split headcode boxes and connecting gangway doors - only D11 to D15 of the production Class 45s had those fitted (as per Class 44). From D16 onwards, the earlier-built examples continued to be fitted with split headcode boxes but with solid plated fronts, later giving way to central (but still split) headcode panels and, finally, a single headcode panel. When the Class 45s were refurbished by Derby Works, in the late 1960s, D11-D15 had the nose-ends refitted with the single, central headcode panel that had, by then, become standard. It's not often that we see images of this quintet in their original condition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, 35A said:

J1191 is a very good (and fairly rare) shot of D12 which may be useful for modellers. At the time, as built, it had split headcode boxes and connecting gangway doors - only D11 to D15 of the production Class 45s had those fitted (as per Class 44). From D16 onwards, the earlier-built examples continued to be fitted with split headcode boxes but with solid plated fronts, later giving way to central (but still split) headcode panels and, finally, a single headcode panel. When the Class 45s were refurbished by Derby Works, in the late 1960s, D11-D15 had the nose-ends refitted with the single, central headcode panel that had, by then, become standard. It's not often that we see images of this quintet in their original condition.

No class 45s were built with the single central head code panel, they were all later alterations starting with the Brush refurbishments in 1965.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. What a fantastic set of photo’s of the Beamish Museum from 1980 and 1987. The first two photo’s of Beamish Rowley Station, with NER, 876, from August, 1980, are excellent photo’s of the sole surviving NER class C, later LNER/BR class J21. 
The replacement photo’s of Stainforth and Helwith Bridge, north of Settle, on the Settle and Carlisle line, are an excellent selection. What a superb sight in J713, at Helwith Bridge, with BR 9F, 92076, on an up goods train, in December, 1966. No way can steam on a preserved line recapture that atmospheric, steamy scene, in wet weather. 
The latest Switzerland photo’s are again a superb set, of the station at Interlaken Ost as on the 12th August, 1988. All are so atmospheric and in C10878, with RAe2/4 "Red Arrow", 1001, on a special working, you have a scene with the somewhat unusual looking 1930’s electric railcar and such a typical Swiss backdrop of a tree covered mountain, and those beautiful buildings. A delightful composition.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

6 hours ago, stovepipe said:

No class 45s were built with the single central head code panel, they were all later alterations starting with the Brush refurbishments in 1965.

Correct. I was referring to Peaks, in general. Sorry if that wasn't clear. It was during Class 46 delivery that the single panel replaced the split central (as I'm sure you know!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of the group of photos in the pennines make me shiver to look at them, it looks wet snd dank.

As a steam spotter, aged 10, the second worst insult you could hurl at another spotter was to label him a "summerony", Lincolnshire for Summer only, ie: fair weather spotter🙂

Dave would not have been so labelled, nor his dad.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JeffP said:

Some of the group of photos in the pennines make me shiver to look at them, it looks wet snd dank.

As a steam spotter, aged 10, the second worst insult you could hurl at another spotter was to label him a "summerony", Lincolnshire for Summer only, ie: fair weather spotter🙂

Dave would not have been so labelled, nor his dad.

Dad, Mum and I always found that getting out at weekends and holidays was a very good way of getting right away from work and reducing stress levels.  We found that the weather didn't matter.  

When Mum and Dad reached their 70s they were a bit more careful about bad weather.  I am just beginning to find that when it is cold now I wrap up much better and think twice about driving if it is really bad - at one time if there was only about 5" of snow I just drove to work as usual, now that I have been retired for some time I am content to have a shortish walk and then look at it though the window.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Manchester Victoria for today's replacements, taken when I lived there in my student days.

3 from 1969, 2 from 1971. I am sure some of you will recognise the photos, some I think have been elsewhere on RMWeb and they are quite popular on flickr.

1155617094_ManchesterVictoriaClass45D147ingreenNewcastletoLiverpoolOct69C160.jpg.b8c478c9d4a2c262684a2ae40a8a23a5.jpg

Manchester Victoria Class 46 D147 in green Newcastle to Liverpool Oct 69 C160

The 46 is interesting, it is on the through line not the platform line, Exchange closed in May 69 so if it is Oct 69 it's not heading there to stop, so it is something other than a Newcastle - Liverpool?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That was a very long platform and there was a cross-over (just in front of the TP124 in the next photo) that allowed trains to "overtake" parked DMUs and then come into that platform, about half way to Exchange!

It was a regular thing.

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It has headcode 1Z38 which would suggest a special working (possibly from off-region).

Excellent set of pics Dave, capturing the transition era and a great 'human-interest' shot C164 - worth taking a while to have a good look at all those incidental details.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SHMD said:

That was a very long platform and there was a cross-over (just in front of the TP124 in the next photo) that allowed trains to "overtake" parked DMUs and then come into that platform, about half way to Exchange!

It was a regular thing.

Kev.

Well so there was! In all my time stood at the east end of Victoria I do not remember a train not entering the platform any later than the very start of the platform.  I remember trains stopping before the escape route to salford, but never anything coming in on the through lines and moving across after the Salford Crossovers.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Well so there was! In all my time stood at the east end of Victoria I do not remember a train not entering the platform any later than the very start of the platform.  I remember trains stopping before the escape route to salford, but never anything coming in on the through lines and moving across after the Salford Crossovers.

Living in Stalybridge, I used my "Saver7" to Bash the odd Whistler, Duffs, a few Deltics, Peaks, some Goyles, more Duffs - whenever I could, and just occasionally the entrance to that platform was occupied resulting in using that crossover to land at Man Vic.

Kev.

• Like 1