ESU switchpilotservo

mikeg

I have set up the servos and programmed the switch pilot unit manually as per the manual, when I connected the unit to the prodigy the servos did not respond to the accessory No's used ie 1 to 4. What do I need to do to get them to work, the prodigy hand book say to use CV 513 but there is nothing in the switch pilot instruction for this type of programming it just say programme as per your DCC unit instructions, so what do I need to do?

thanks for any help

mike g

Try addresses 5-8.    (and if it does work, just add 4 to everything in future ).

If it works, blame an inconsistency in the DCC standards documentation which makes this sort of thing possible.

Follow instructions in the ESU device manual, not those in the Prodigy for CV's to set. 

- Nigel

You could try to see if they respond to addresses 5-8, or alternatively program them as '5-8' according to the instructions, and see if they respond as 1-4 or 5-8....

Differing DCC Control Systems have chosen different 'starting numbers' according to their own preference: to start with 0 or stat with 1 as the 'first number'

This can also be experienced when transferring an accessort decoder from 1 system to another (eg home and club) or changing Master Controller.

It occurs when the programming uses CV1 = x as the programming method for a set of 4 outputs .....

ON SOME sysytems, CV1 = 0 will give 'USER ADDRESSES' of 1-4, but on others, CV1= 1 is used for the first 4 addresses: the result is a USER display difference of 4.

On systems which use the 'Learn Button', the effect is simply hidden from the user .... as the device learns whatever dCC address is being sent by the Contoller, in response to the user's choice of (User) address number.   

(On other sysytems, yet another identification sysytem may be used - using letters ..... because the USER displayed value is as flexible as the language you choose to display .... the nmra spec does not dictate how the adddress is presented to the customer.

Thanks for the replies, I can't use 5-8 as 6,7 & 8 are already used by the point system. The prodigy does not appear to use anything other than CV=513 for accessories and the accessory addresses start at 1 as I had this for points 1 to 5 originally so I know it works with accessories on these numbers, all I need to know is how to set up the ESU unit to work with my prodigy, I was told when I bought it that it was simple to use and compatible with the prodigy!

hope someone knows how it works

regards

mike g

As far as programming is concerned, CV1 and CV 513 are equivalent - what we have suggested for CV1 applies equally for CV513.

TO the USER the addresses will always 'start with 1'   .... the question is  as to whether the value written in to CV 1 or 513 TO ACHIEVE THIS was a  ZERO or a ONE ... it varies between Systems.

The 'problem' is avoided when the device uses a 'Learn' button, as you simply send out a command 'change point X (where X is a USER value)'  from the handset, AFTER pressing the learn button, and the decoder then LEARNS (whatever code was beoing sent at the time) as the correct value for that User's address.

Whilst you may wish, and can retain the existing values of 6,7, and 8 for points  - which you had not mentioned before, therefore neither of us could allow for in how we suggested a solution - FOR THE PURPOSES OF LEARNING THE PROGRAMMING METHOD and checking CORRECT FUNCTION - please simply try the procedure for the ESU SwitchPilot as suggested before - using FOR EXAMPLE a CV 1 or 513 value of  '1' and THEN testing with a point motor on the first output, whether it responds, on your system, to the USER Address of 1, 5 or 9  (note the offset of 4 between each possible answer) - you will then be able to choose the appropriate value to make the switchpilo respond ON YOUR SYSTEM as '1-4'

SwitchPilot Servo Sets addresses according to the value in CVs 1 and 9.

In this case you can ignore CV9 as that is only needed for output addresses above 252.

Set CV1 to 1 and the SP Servo outputs have the addresses 1-4.

Set CV1 to 2 and the SP Servo outputs have addresses 5-8.

Set CV1 to 3 and the SP Servo outputs have addresses 9-12 etc. etc.

See Figure 12 on page 19 of the SP V1 manual if you are using the V1 51802 SP Servo, or the table in section 8.2.1 on page 18 of the V2.0 manual.  

Always follow the manual for the device that you are trying to programme, not the manual for the device that you are trying to use to do the programming.

Despite what 'Going Underground' has wrritten above;  WHEN MIXING SYSTEMS - where the manufacturers have chosen differently between starting with CV1 (or 513) as 0 or 1 for '1-4', you may /will find the 'user values' (ie those the user can select on their controller) for CV1=1 respond to values in the range 5-8   ..... or in the opposite direction, CV1=0 may not respond at all (being 997-9999,10000)

Examples I have personal experience of are between Roco and ZTC,  Massoth and Roco,  Roco and LGB.  NCE and Roco. [Roco always being my reference in each case] This is one reason why the 'LEARN' button makes it much easier !!!

This is because the NMRA specifications relate to the 'physical address' sent to the accessory, and NOT to the 'User'  value entered on the control screen.

Many people do not like starting counting with '0', but prefer '1' as the first number.    Therefore we find systems which use CV1=0 as 1,2,3,4, and CV1=1 as 5,6,7,8, and others which use CV1=1 for 1,2,3,4 and CV2= 5,6,7,8

When using accessory decoders like the Lens LS150, the artifiical restriction to blocks of 4 is removed as well: each of 6 outputs can be ANY value .... but all done the easy way by 'learning' the value being sent from the handset.

Phils, I tried to use the logic you stated above and I still get no response from the servos. I have tried the learn button on the unit but it does not respond to the prodigy so I have come to the conclusion that they are not compatable with the way in which accessory decoders are programmed. The unit works OK as shorting out the pins for switches the servos work and I have been able to set the travel by using the learn button in manual mode, So I think I am going to use some push button switches, eight, to control the signals that the servos are for. Unless someone knows how to work them with the prodigy using the accessory on/off using buttons 1 and 2 on the hand set and the accessory numbers 1 to 4.

I have tried using programming on the main to set the CV1=1 etc but it does not seem to change the ESU unit, but as I can't read the unit either, any CV read comes back with the CV No i.e. CV1=1 CV2=2 CV29= 29 and so on. So I have given up for the time being!

regards

mike g

Setting CV1 to 2 and CV9 to 0 is usually the best place to start. That should allow you to see movement on one of the blocks of addresses 1-4,5-8 or 9-12. Setting CV1 to 1 on many decoders will only allow operation on Roco systems which have a lower address range than most systems.

Despite what 'Going Underground' has wrritten above;  WHEN MIXING SYSTEMS - where the manufacturers have chosen differently between starting with CV1 (or 513) as 0 or 1 for '1-4', you may /will find the 'user values' (ie those the user can select on their controller) for CV1=1 respond to values in the range 5-8   ..... or in the opposite direction, CV1=0 may not respond at all (being 997-9999,10000)

Examples I have personal experience of are between Roco and ZTC,  Massoth and Roco,  Roco and LGB.  NCE and Roco. [Roco always being my reference in each case] This is one reason why the 'LEARN' button makes it much easier !!!

This is because the NMRA specifications relate to the 'physical address' sent to the accessory, and NOT to the 'User'  value entered on the control screen.

Many people do not like starting counting with '0', but prefer '1' as the first number.    Therefore we find systems which use CV1=0 as 1,2,3,4, and CV1=1 as 5,6,7,8, and others which use CV1=1 for 1,2,3,4 and CV2= 5,6,7,8

When using accessory decoders like the Lens LS150, the artifiical restriction to blocks of 4 is removed as well: each of 6 outputs can be ANY value .... but all done the easy way by 'learning' the value being sent from the handset.

I'm sorry if you do not like my reply, I was simply quoting the ESU SwitchPilot Servo manual which is what any SP or SP Servo user has to follow if they are going to get their SP or SP Servo working. I use SP Servo, and having set CV1 as described, they work OK with my ECoS.

As I understand it, and I may be wrong, you cannot change the address of a SP or SP Servo using programming on the main, only on the programming track output.

Personally I don't like the idea of the "dumbed-down" learn button. I prefer to be able to program the CV that sets the output addresses directly.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

There was mention in this or I think another similar thread on here that indicates Gaugemaster recognised there was a conflict with prodigy advance and the ESU accessory decoder.

Does anyone know if it gas been fixed?

I gave spent an sad today trying to program CV 513 to no avail.

Thanks, Neal

I have been using a SwitchPilot Servo for some time to control four servo-operated semaphore signals via a Prodigy Advance2.

The four signals respond to the Accessory command on the Prodigy using Accessory > 101 > On/Off > Enter, Accessory 102 . . . etc.

Attached is a list of the CV settings I use which may be helpful.

As I started this topic, I have solved the problem with a Z21 system, the servo's worked first time on 1 - 4 and I find the system much better then the Gaugemaster unit, that now works my N gauge layout or the test track in the work shop, as it is easier to programme 4 digit addresses with the prodigy that the Z21, which requires CV's 17 & 18 to be input for numbers over 127, I did find a calculator online which I have used but generally I set up my locos in the workshop on the 13ft long test track to run as I require. The one thing that is frustraiting is the prodigy sets CV29 for DCC only so I have to reset this on the Z21 so I can run on the club DC layout!

regards

mike g

Archived