Comings and Goings at Tyne Yard

The clip closer to the beginning with the EE Type 4 passing on the car carrier train (at 4:28) looks to be taken at the north end of Tyne Yard too (probably under construction, given the contents of the trains in the foreground), with Lamesley Colliery on the hillside.

Arp

If you watch this film at 16.30 there is a brief view of the south end of Tyne Yard under construction. I'm not sure which of the other clips were taken there?

All the bridges taking the track over the road in that clip are still there.

John

I have a booklet somewhere printed at the time the yard was opened detailing its design and construction. If I remember correctly, that road has diverted in order to build the yard, sending it round and under those bridges being built in the film (which as you say, John, are all still there although only a couple of them still carry lines). You can see the stub of the old road going past Long Acre Farm on the OS Map of the area (which you can get on Bing Maps). I seem to remember that they also had to divert the River Team too. I can maybe dig out the booklet and try to scan it if anyone's interested.

Arp

I can maybe dig out the booklet and try to scan it if anyone's interested.

Ya mean this one...

post-508-0-28210000-1403190366_thumb.jpg

For some reason the printers decided to flip the image of the Yard operator. Give me a couple of days and I'll probably be able to find out his name. (And the colour of his underpants)

The booklet also didn't go into to much detail regarding that most of the track had recently been laid new on the Stainmore Line (to get the operating costs up thus aiding the case for closure) and then recovered for use in the yard.

Many years ago a railwayman described this to me as, "Politcally sensitive but bl**dy good accounting!"

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

The Tyne Yard repeater Tower of BRs innovative microwave radio telephone system installed between York and Newcastle Central stations in the early sixties.

There were six Antennae, in total. Three small towers atop of York, Darlington and Newcastle Central stations plus 3 "tall" towers. One at Woolmoor, North East of Thirsk, one adjacent to the old Ferryhill Grammar School between Ferryhill / Kirk Merrington and Tyne yards.

There's also a link to Consett/Tyne dock in the pic. That is, the young man bottom left of the picture had the annual task of re-profiling the wheels of the 56 ton hopper wagons and their Redcar/Consett successors. Normally during shutdowns and holiday periods.

post-508-0-06993800-1403197930_thumb.jpg

P

• Like 3

When was that pic taken as the tower is not there anymore but I don't know when it was demolished.

Apr.2008 Still there in the Tornado phot. That was 28 Feb. 2009.

I see it's still shown on Google and Bing maps but noticed it had gone in some of your pics.

P

Ya mean this one...

attachicon.gifTyneYardBooklet1.jpg

For some reason the printers decided to flip the image of the Yard operator. Give me a couple of days and I'll probably be able to find out his name. (And the colour of his underpants)

The booklet also didn't go into to much detail regarding that most of the track had recently been laid new on the Stainmore Line (to get the operating costs up thus aiding the case for closure) and then recovered for use in the yard.

Many years ago a railwayman described this to me as, "Politcally sensitive but bl**dy good accounting!"

Porcy

That reminds me of the occasion when I visited Cayton signalbox near Seamer on the Hull line. The bobby invited me into the box and among other things told me how BR had ordered several thousand tons of ballast for the line but it all went straight to the ECML and the ballast on the track outside was still colliery ash from NER days!

I thought you lads may like to see these 3 views of Tyne Yard as it is in the Trainz 2012 rail simulator which includes the ECML from KX to Newcastle and many of the branches.

33419985.10d6b78d.1024.jpg

• Like 5

More from 20 June 2014:

66200 heads north with a train of empty coal wagons:

P62002523_zps61fc0dde.jpg

and 66018 arrives light engine:

P62002632_zps5c7545a3.jpg

66746 parked right under the bridge:

P6200266_zps66561100.jpg

P6200261_zps97808483.jpg

66132 & 66121:

P62002482_zpscf00b591.jpg

P62002492_zps11bd2d17.jpg

66553 shunting a ballast train:

P6200260_zps846f353f.jpg

John

• Like 2

Great pics again John.

Looking at the second last pic showing 66132, the background definately looks model-like. In fact, many of the photos have a model railway look due to the overhead viewpoint.

Loads of useful reference, not only weathering on the locos but also the grass and track overgrown with weeds. I'm inspired to build a mini Tyne Yard!

Mal

21 June 2014

The yard was full this afternoon with 66s from EWS, Freighliner and DB Schenker. Rumour has it Colas are going to start using the yard soon so it'll get a lot more colourful.

P6210247_zpseaa5afeb.jpg

P6210246_zpsa6cc0a4e.jpg

P6210248_zpsb6e97423.jpg

66527:

P6210249_zps94f3eba8.jpg

66121 and 66554:

P6210250_zpsc056fca2.jpg

P6210254_zps4629e6f6.jpg

P6210253_zpsddd4c3a0.jpg

P6210255_zpsda0f75f0.jpg

Some yellow stuff:

P6210256_zps769958fe.jpg

P6210257_zpse2df3488.jpg

66553 leaves with a ballast train:

P6210269_zpsf909701b.jpg

P6210271_zpsb697f7e4.jpg

P6210273_zpsfe05ba92.jpg

John

• Like 3

Great pics John.

I also went along to  this afternoon to check out the rejuvenated Tyne Yard. I was amazed at the amount of activity going on with all the Network Rail ballast trains and the bridge offers a great viewing point.

Most of my pics are similar to yours, but here are a couple more.

post-7898-0-99717600-1403371119_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-39946600-1403371155_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 3

Great pics John.

I also went along to  this afternoon to check out the rejuvenated Tyne Yard.

Mal

It's a popular place, I was there at around 3:30 and there were 5 of us on the bridge at one point...

John

Hello.

Question about the last picture in post #41.

The two ballast hoppers seem to have the discharge chutes in different positions; I can understand the position of the first wagon behind the locomotive but the second wagon looks as though the discharge chutes are open. It is loaded, so what is stopping the contents coming out?

Hello.

Question about the last picture in post #41.

The two ballast hoppers seem to have the discharge chutes in different positions; I can understand the position of the first wagon behind the locomotive but the second wagon looks as though the discharge chutes are open. It is loaded, so what is stopping the contents coming out?

The ballast is retained by the hopper doors, which are at the top of the shutes, and not visible from this angle; I suspect the wagon with the folded-up extensions on the shutes is intended for use in third-rail country, where the extensions would stop the ballast being deposited on top of the third rail.

Really enjoyed reading through this thread , fascinating as I regularly drive my wagon over the motorway bridge and have often wondered what the yard was called. Just as further information to my somewhat sketchy knowledge of the area , where in relation to Tyne Yard is Tyne Dock ???

My journey to the north East takes my to Ashington north of Newcastle where there seem to be all sorts of freight lines going in different directions , what were there purposes ????

Really enjoyed reading through this thread , fascinating as I regularly drive my wagon over the motorway bridge and have often wondered what the yard was called. Just as further information to my somewhat sketchy knowledge of the area , where in relation to Tyne Yard is Tyne Dock ???

My journey to the north East takes my to Ashington north of Newcastle where there seem to be all sorts of freight lines going in different directions , what were there purposes ????

Mainly coal, but also there was aluminium from the smelter north of Blyth, and there is still alumina traffic from Blyth to Fort William. If you think there's a lot now, you should have seen it in the early 1980s..

Edited by Fat Controller

The ballast is retained by the hopper doors, which are at the top of the shutes, and not visible from this angle; I suspect the wagon with the folded-up extensions on the shutes is intended for use in third-rail country, where the extensions would stop the ballast being deposited on top of the third rail.

Thank you for the explanation.

I had the wrong end of the stick - what I thought were chute doors on the second wagon are in fact extensions to the chutes. It would make sense that the bulk of the load wasn't retained by small doors on each chute :-)

Perhaps odd that they have different types of wagon in the group of 5; either the set works on third rail territory or it doesn't?