Inspired by Berlin Friedrichstrasse

Claude_Dreyfus

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo, Claude,

Just as an afterthought: there a lot of old postcards (Postkarte/Postkarten or Ansichtskarte/Ansichtskarten) floating around in the German Bight and one can always preview them ... it is an often overlooked way of research especially for Eras I and II, when railway stations were the business cards of their communities. After WW II that was not really the case anymore. Just fish in the German Bight with the search term "friedrichstrasse" and narrow the category to "Sammeln und Seltenes/Ansichtskarten" in the search results - that is my usual approach as you'll cat a wide net thataway.

Just my 0.02€ - your mileage may vary. :paint:

Good Luck,

Christian

P.S.: There was an 3-Rail-AC-H0-Berlin-themed layout in the Primex catalogue of 1987 (Primex was then Märklin's department-store brand). Märklin had a new-in-the-market model of an Berliner-S-Bahn (yellow/red) in that year. If there is interest, I'll post the two relevant images of that layout. Let me know, please.

Edited by cklammer

Hallo, Claude,

Thank you very much - it is just that some consider posting another layout's pictures in a layout build thread rude and I wanted to make sure as not to offend.

Here we go - catalogue page (Copyright by Primex resp. Märklin):

Mi5Ee.jpg

The track plan has been reconstructed in three two different versions with the basic pattern remaining the same by a user "Primexmades" from "Forum Alte Modellbahnen" (http://alte-modellbahnen.xobor.de/) some years ago and it is copyrighted by the author. The originally posted image has since been lost in digital nirvana, unfortunenately: (Edit: I found it but the thread is registered users only at the above mentioned forum) Different trackplans exist and are public accessible via picr.de:

5120470.jpg

5123500.jpg

As you can see at first, the layout is on two levels with the upper level reserved for long-distance trains and the lower level intended for the S-Bahn.

Secondly, it is all passenger traffic - no goods traffic at all. The goods train in the corner does not count, really.

Thirdly, switches have been very sparingly used compared to the numbers of switches usually used in a Märklin-/Primex-catalogue layout.

I hope it helps somewhat.  :scratchhead: This is all the information that is available on that layout. :beee:

I really looking forward to see your club's build progress. :sungum:

Best Regards,

Christian

Edited by cklammer

Hi, Claude,

I am sort of bored - so I found an old postcard for you on zeno.org:

MPK00408.jpg

From site of the S-Bahn Berlin: http://www.s-bahn-berlin.de/events/stadtbahngeschichten/stadtbahngeschichten_7.htm

stadtbahn_friedrichstrasse_5.jpg

German Federal Archive: http://www.bundesarchiv.de

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-12245-0002,_Berlin

Wikipedia Commons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Friedrichstra%C3%9Fe_station

Bahnhof_Berlin_Friedrichstra%C3%9Fe,_188

From Bilderbuch Berlin:

berlin_bahnhof_friedrichstrasse_547b3885

Misc. images:

00031853.jpg

How to find stuff: Google Image Search https://www.google.de/search?biw=1920&bih=943&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=s-bahn+friedrichstrasse+berlin&oq=s-bahn+friedrichstrasse+berlin or https://www.google.de/search?biw=1920&bih=943&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=s-bahn+friedrichstrasse+hochbahn+berlin&oq=s-bahn+friedrichstrasse+hochbahn+berlin

Some more links:

http://lexikon.freenet.de/Bahnhof_Berlin_Friedrichstra%C3%9Fe

http://www.dw.de/erinnerungen-an-den-geteilten-bahnhof/a-15307879

DSO-HiFo (for research register there): http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?17,6745523,page=all

Berliner Verkehrsseiten: http://www.berliner-verkehrsseiten.de/

Not related to Friedrichstrasse or S-Bahn but U-Bahn Berlin: http://www.berliner-verkehrsseiten.de/u-bahn/Stellwerke/Stw_Go/body_stw_go.html

Architectural model: http://berlinmodelle.com/wp/traenenpalast-modell/ (Angie likes it, too :senile: )

Stadtbahn Berlin: http://www.epilog.de/berlin/eisenbahn/Stadtbahn/Stadtbahn_Handke.htm

Much more links but time's up :no:

I am not a Berliner but ask me nevertheless - I'll help you with research or translation - slowly but steadily. :scratchhead:

Best Regards,

Christian

Edited by cklammer
  • Like 10

A couple of views from 1978.  I'm not sure whether these were actually taken in Friedrichstrasse, but if not certainly nearby (tram routes 4 and 13 may give a clue).  Hopefully they convey something of the atmosphere and vibrancy of East Berlin at that time.

post-10122-0-70399100-1416350428_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-30646300-1416350426_thumb.jpg

Didn't there used to be (probably still is) a bookshop in Friedrichstrasse almost opposite the station?  I seem to remember scanning for magazines there on a more recent visit.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Totally - well almost totally (if that makes sense!) - unconnected to this, this week sees the club's now biannual jaunt to the Cogne show (I cannot go due to work commitments :-(). Await with interest the goodies that will turn up at the club next week!

A couple of views from 1978.  I'm not sure whether these were actually taken in Friedrichstrasse, but if not certainly nearby (tram routes 4 and 13 may give a clue).  Hopefully they convey something of the atmosphere and vibrancy of East Berlin at that time.

attachicon.gifPICS3136.jpg

attachicon.gifPICS3135.jpg

Hi, railsquid here. These pictures were taken in the Eberswalder Straße in the Prenzlauer Berg district, somewhat to the north of Friedrichstraße. The elevated railway line in the background is former U-Bahn line A, now the U2, running along the Schönhauser Allee; Dimitroffstraße station (now Eberswalder Straße) is just to the left, though not visible. The former Dimitroffstraße itself, now Danziger Straße is the continuation of the Eberswalder Straße on the other side of the U-Bahn line. There are also trams running on the Schönhauser Allee parallel to the U-Bahn line, at least one route (I forget the old numbers...) would have run through to Friedrichstraße, although at the time the trams were routed around the back streets to the east of the station and changing there wasn't very convenient.

If the photographer had turned round and marched down the Eberswalder Straße to the west, he would have found the Berlin Wall blocking his path, and the trams terminating shortly before it. The tram line has been since extended to the west, along what is effectively Berlin's inner ring road, and is currently being extended to the new Hauptbahnhof. The old turning loop is still there and in occasional use.

I know this because I lived in the immediate area for many years from about 1991 and spend some time in the area last month :)

Didn't there used to be (probably still is) a bookshop in Friedrichstrasse almost opposite the station?  I seem to remember scanning for magazines there on a more recent visit.

Dussmann.

• Like 1

There are some drawings of the viaduct and a cross-section of Alexanderplatz station in The Engineer for 01st April 1887:-

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/The_Engineer_1887/04/01

Fascinating, thanks. I believe the viaducts had to be strengthened at some point with the addition of an inner arch of bricks; I'll see if I can find the source if anyone's interested.

• RMweb Premium

There are some drawings of the viaduct and a cross-section of Alexanderplatz station in The Engineer for 01st April 1887:-

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/The_Engineer_1887/04/01

Wow, thanks! That is a find. I'll be handing this over to our club's tame architect (well, as tame as one can be without a cage and anchor chains) to see what he can do with this...

• RMweb Premium

Well, believe it or not work is actually being carried out on Friedrichstrasse. Track laying has recommenced  :yahoo:  

post-6831-0-03573000-1417380215.jpg

The plate-laying committee (minus chief-platelayer) position the second track...making extra sure we have sufficient clearance.

post-6831-0-70679600-1417381223.jpg

Some nice sweeping curves...I'm really looking forward to seeing them completed.

As mentioned in an earlier post, a number of our members had a few days in Cologne, visiting the large numberof model shops in the area, as well as the exhibition. A few goodies were obtained, and last Friday night was show-off night. Highlights were the ESU class 155 (with full sound) and this really impressive V220...also sound-fitted. The sound on this is incredible. Oh yes, and when you drive it slow enough around a corner you get the wheel squeal, but this only occurs below a certain speed. Brake suddenly and you get spark flashes around the bogies. 

post-6831-0-91226200-1417383479.jpg 

post-6831-0-30300100-1417383527.jpg

I can just hear it at shows...'excuse me mister, your train is on fire'.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 6

Well, believe it or not work is actually being carried out on Friedrichstrasse. Track laying has recommenced  :yahoo:  

attachicon.gifTrack Laying.jpg

The plate-laying committee (minus chief-platelayer) position the second track...making extra sure we have sufficient clearance.

attachicon.gifTrack 1.jpg

Some nice sweeping curves...I'm really looking forward to seeing them completed.

As mentioned in an earlier post, a number of our members had a few days in Cologne, visiting the large numberof model shops in the area, as well as the exhibition. A few goodies were obtained, and last Friday night was show-off night. Highlights were the ESU class 155 (with full sound) and this really impressive V220...also sound-fitted. The sound on this is incredible. Oh yes, and when you drive it slow enough around a corner you get the wheel squeal, but this only occurs below a certain speed. Brake suddenly and you get spark flashes around the bogies. 

attachicon.gifV220 1.jpg

attachicon.gifV220.jpg

I can just hear it at shows...'excuse me mister, your train is on fire'.

I got spark flashes from the wheels on my HO brass US Trolley cars back in the 70's. Mostly due to having designed my own bemf controller which could deliver +/- 5 Amps of correction power into the Pittman open frame motor. :jester:

Andy

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Update time!

As with most things, progress has been slow over the Christmas/New Year period, however now we are back into the swing of things, work has been going apace on Friedrichstrasse...

The main progress has been the addition of the S-Bahn bridge across the river. This is a modified kit (Kibri I believe), which certainly suits its location. Last night we started work on laying the S-Bahn tracks.

post-6831-0-09398200-1420888811.jpg

post-6831-0-05341200-1420888829.jpg

post-6831-0-80979700-1420888842.jpg

post-6831-0-51490200-1420888859.jpg

post-6831-0-61245100-1420888883.jpg

post-6831-0-54190100-1420888932.jpg

post-6831-0-51379800-1420888950.jpg

post-6831-0-20006600-1420888967.jpg

post-6831-0-69335200-1420889026.jpg

Once the track laying and ballasting has been completed, along with the required painting, the final support struts will be added to the top of the lattice girders to prevent the slight bowing that is currently in evidence.

The bare wood between the tracks on the main lines is the site for the platforms, which will extend over the river. The main lines will be carried on a steel arch bridge with simple plate girder sides. Not 100% sure what form the road bridge will take as yet, but a simple more modern concrete arch is currently the favourite.

• Like 12

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, it has been three months since the last update, and again there is not too much visible progress, although the track laying has now been completed. In terms of electrics, we are more or less finished; just bits and bobs to ensure complete reliable running. Now for some proper playing testing! 

post-6831-0-42363500-1428252978.jpg

The S-Bahn line has been tracked...

post-6831-0-69647800-1428253002.jpg

A new arrival for Fredrichstrasse - a Fleischmann class 38 (very pretty).

post-6831-0-13575400-1428253058.jpg

Just the ticket!

post-6831-0-01484100-1428253082.jpg

The design for the main bridge has also been sorted out - ready for the Silhouette cutter!

Time to look seriously at the scenery...

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A frequent issue surrounding exhibition layouts is a lack of activity - sometimes due to a rigid adherence to operational practice, a total lack of adherence to something called organisation, or simply a lack of bodies. Part of a solution to this is the automation of some aspects of the layout - namely the trams.

Friedrichstrasse has a simple tram circuit controlled via laptop, which is divided into sections. This enables a number of trams to follow one-another around the circuit, bunching up at the various trams stops. It takes some fettling, towards the end of the evening, our electronics lot managed to get it running quite smoothly. 

post-6831-0-25107200-1433669589.jpg

Our resident tram collector has a really nice selection to choose from, including a number of the Kato 4-wheelers. 

post-6831-0-27976600-1433669700.jpg

This one has had a minimal amount of modification, mainly involving a fine wire brush and the addition of new decals; make a huge difference to the appearance.

post-6831-0-21729400-1433669807.jpg

post-6831-0-24862500-1433669827.jpg

post-6831-0-50486300-1433670138.jpg

Testing in full swing. The intention is to have four trams operating simultaneously - which we managed to do for a while last night.

post-6831-0-49683200-1433670226.jpg

post-6831-0-45411800-1433670243.jpg

In other news, a full test was carried out the other week on the main line, which highlighted some running issues across the board join from the end boards to the main layout. Our track gang have been hard at work over the last couple of weeks relaying across the joints. Some sections of the track has been painted and is now awaiting ballasting. The track on the right in the second picture is the S-Bahn line, which like the trams, will be automated - this will have a shuttle unit fitted; all we need to do now is conjure up something suitable to run on it!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Just by way of a further update - the first of the bridge sides have been fretted and test fitted.

post-6831-0-49943800-1433793068.jpg

Picture taken by a colleague on a work day the other week - one of many work days I could not attend!

The original thought was to use the silhouette cutter for the side, but a slightly sturdier option of wood was chosen. Lots of work to do on the bridge - but at least it's some tangible progress!

• Like 9