Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

Its great seeing the new wave of Bachmann 90s out on the market, particularly those in the EWS/DB brand, i hope to add several of these to my stable, modelling era-10 will see my EWS ones get a thorough weathering to reflect their current condition at ''Mecca Electric'', Crewe IEMD. Its slightly amusing they opted for Bill McAlpine as the first of their DB branded 90s, whatever shall I do with my own ''Bill'' .. decisions decisions ...

90's at Johnson Street - Jack, Multimodal, DB Blue and Bill - 11-02-22.jpg

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, NaN said:

Answering my own question, appears yes! It gained them on the cab front sometime before going on hire to Anglia Railways in noughties but as new not a single one.

Maybe no one expected it to run under the wires…….

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, NaN said:

90019 Penny Black arrived here today. There’s no OHL warning stickers anywhere on it - is that prototypical for as new?

OHLE stickers were supposed to be at places where the roof was accessible on legacy locomotives. AC Electrics never had stickers when new, as they were purposely designed not to be roof accessible. I think it was privatisation when the placing of stickers became common, presumably the result of a revised risk analysis.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Maybe no one expected it to run under the wires…….

According to something else I read on here a while back, warning flashes were only required at places which provided access to anywhere above the cantrail (roof-mounted coolant/fuel/lubricant fillers etc).

AC electric locos were deliberately built without access to anywhere above the cantrail, so no flashes were required.

Edit: Beaten to it by the above post!

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Has anyone noticed the slight error on the 90 supplied sound file? F18 is the cab door open/close function, but it only works if F0 (battery switch & compressor) is ON. The first action a driver takes is to open the cab door!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, David12 said:

Has anyone noticed the slight error on the 90 supplied sound file? F18 is the cab door open/close function, but it only works if F0 (battery switch & compressor) is ON. The first action a driver takes is to open the cab door!

Doh! Been there before with factory sounds and had to edit on my LokProgrammer. What chip does the 90 have?

Roy

Spoken with Clive at Bachmann and he has solved the problem:

CV   31 = 16

CV   32 =   1

CV 468 =   1

CV’s 31 & 32 need to be altered before CV 468 is altered

Hope this clears the problem for everybody.

• Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Doh! Been there before with factory sounds and had to edit on my LokProgrammer. What chip does the 90 have?

Roy

Loksound v5. Your programmer will cope with that.

Remember that there is something odd about the 90s board so you will have to remove the decoder to read values from it.

• Agree 1

I have to admit I’ve become a bit obsessed with Bachmann's class 90. I think it’s a superb model and the new versions with sound fitted are well worth the money. These two are something a bit different which I managed to persuade Colin to do as production batches so I could add to my own collection at the same time. 

90034 in its DB branding on the base DRS blue. 90035 was chosen as it was still wearing its very tatty EWS colours with virtually white numbers and letters prior to getting a fresh coat of DB red. Both models are weathered. I was very lucky to pick up the original base model for the EWS one for just £50 with decoder fitted via eBay. It needed work to fix the bogies and pick up wires but easy enough jobs to do. 

I’m not sure how they made it to Morecambe off the wires lol!

All the best

Mark

61453812-400C-4C44-865F-B2B8BE113F37.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

I have to admit I’ve become a bit obsessed with Bachmann's class 90. I think it’s a superb model and the new versions with sound fitted are well worth the money. These two are something a bit different which I managed to persuade Colin to do as production batches so I could add to my own collection at the same time. 

90034 in its DB branding on the base DRS blue. 90035 was chosen as it was still wearing its very tatty EWS colours with virtually white numbers and letters prior to getting a fresh coat of DB red. Both models are weathered. I was very lucky to pick up the original base model for the EWS one for just £50 with decoder fitted via eBay. It needed work to fix the bogies and pick up wires but easy enough jobs to do. 

All the best

Mark

What's evwen more interesting is how are their lights working, never mind how they've got their lights on ...

Kat, Johnson Street IEMD

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

All the best

Mark

I’m not sure how they made it to Morecambe off the wires lol

Maybe coasted from Hest Bank?

Ian_B

• Funny 1

DB Blue (90034) is back out on duty, last week returning to duty on the rotational 4S49/4M30

and this week is on 4M25/4S47 - alongside team red Skoda Christine (90037) ... Team Red DB90s Multimodal (90019) and CB Hall (90035) are nicely paired up in a nicely matching livery pairing of DB Cargo red 90s for the first time since Multimodal and Bill did so in 2020? (i think it was) and are on tonight's 4M30 service. Donald Malcolm (90021) and Bumblebee3 (90020) are also at Mossend to be the second rotational pair on 4M30-4S49.

• Like 3

On 22/05/2022 at 23:16, MRDBLUE17 said:

All the best

Mark

I have two of the 90030’s on order but both will be up for work done to them as I’m looking for 90020 & 90037 both in EWS faded livery I think @Squirrel Rail will have more work to do!

• Like 2

All the best

Mark

Your layout looks great! is there a thread for it that we can see more of it on?

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Northmoor MPD said:

Your layout looks great! is there a thread for it that we can see more of it on?

Cheers!

Thank you for the kind comments. I’ve not got a layout thread for this one. I really should get round to adding it and it will hopefully appear in one of the magazines once I write the article. 

thank you

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on this thread but has anyone been successful in fitting a driver in the cab?

Its not immediately obvious how one would go about doing this and I'm reluctant to cause any damage.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mooresby said:

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on this thread but has anyone been successful in fitting a driver in the cab?

Its not immediately obvious how one would go about doing this and I'm reluctant to cause any damage.....

🙋‍♂️ 

The cab interior unclips once the body is removed, a set of jewellers screwdrivers helps here, then this brings out the cab and a driver can be fitted - I use the cheap unpainted Chinese figures from eBay, give them some amputations and paint them up!

The hardest part with the 90 is taking out all the screws and remembering the different sizes and where they belong, my top tip is to label each ones to aid the memory for fitting them back again 😂

Cheers,

James

• Like 3

On 19/05/2022 at 00:30, Johnson Street IEMD said:

Its great seeing the new wave of Bachmann 90s out on the market, particularly those in the EWS/DB brand, i hope to add several of these to my stable, modelling era-10 will see my EWS ones get a thorough weathering to reflect their current condition at ''Mecca Electric'', Crewe IEMD. Its slightly amusing they opted for Bill McAlpine as the first of their DB branded 90s, whatever shall I do with my own ''Bill'' .. decisions decisions ...

90's at Johnson Street - Jack, Multimodal, DB Blue and Bill - 11-02-22.jpg

Hi Kat, you’d be better off renumbering the factory model to be honest. It’s easy for the numbers to come off, and if you try and renumber the painted one you usually end up with an issue with there being a ‘hole’ in the paintwork. Up to you, of course. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Got my 90s today, thanks to Rainbow! The finish is stunning but one niggle alas, the yellow on 90044 is wrong. 90044 is the oddball of the orange ones with it’s centrally placed logo, but it also carries the standard warning panel yellow. Ironically 90041 has this and is perfect, 90044 should match it. Same issue of course with the recent grey one, which has the lighter lemon shade too in place of standard yellow. 

So what to do with 044… paint the yellow or start major surgery with buffers and logo repositioning… hmmm!

All the best

Mark

If only you’d finished that layout with some wires on ;-)

hope all is well, Mark. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Got my 90s today, thanks to Rainbow! The finish is stunning but one niggle alas, the yellow on 90044 is wrong. 90044 is the oddball of the orange ones with it’s centrally placed logo, but it also carries the standard warning panel yellow. Ironically 90041 has this and is perfect, 90044 should match it. Same issue of course with the recent grey one, which has the lighter lemon shade too in place of standard yellow. 

So what to do with 044… paint the yellow or start major surgery with buffers and logo repositioning… hmmm!

044 also appears to have different coloured logos to rest, though if it's coming off to be relocated it doesn't matter.

The Colas 70 Bachmann did had an iffy shade of warning yellow too. Correct for 801 but they modelled 805. Planning to repaint my Farish one's yellow ends

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

12 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

If only you’d finished that layout with some wires on ;-)

hope all is well, Mark. 

if only you'd finished ...

are they ever finished ? LOL

I guess he could have some single track OLE on there with some form of terminating wire post thingey ...

Kat ;-)

12 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Hi Kat, you’d be better off renumbering the factory model to be honest. It’s easy for the numbers to come off, and if you try and renumber the painted one you usually end up with an issue with there being a ‘hole’ in the paintwork. Up to you, of course. 

Hi Andi,

Yes, I am kinda aware of this ... I just like the thought of

''finally''

having a model which is fit for purpose without needing loads of tweaking ... and my Bill ... well ... erm ... what does one do with him ? I have a few ideas up my sleeve 

Kat :-)

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD

Hi All,

I have just got myself the class 90 in the RES livery complete with sound & I am mightily impressed.

Smooth running with a full suit of effects including (of course) the operating pantograph.

With this particular effect in mind, can anyone advise how I can reduce the height of the pantograph. I believe this can be done but couldn’t see anything in the instructions.

Thanks in advance.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1