Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

Can you imagine the collective dummy-spitting breakdown there will be on these forums on the 29th if a Class 87 is announced based on some reactions to the announcement of the 90?  Andy will have to put up the Samaritans hotline number at the top of the website.

actually no dont do that.

the number and i kid you not for The Samaritans is 08457-90 90 90!

thats likely to tip the dummy spitters over the edge.talk about rubbing salt in their wounds.....

i was of the view that Hornby had a good strong stable of ACs that it could retool for using a common chassis to update its 86/87/90 models but alas i think that horse could now have well and truly bolted. 3 new possible models......gone. i cant see Hornby retooling their 86 or 87 now.

I agree that I think it makes Hornby very unlikely to produce a new 86/87/90. However I think it was unlikely before, they wouldn't be a retool, they would have to be basically new models, and therefore just as easy for anyone else as Hornby to produce. The Heljan 86 , despite it's faults also reduced the likelihood of Hornby doing a new 86

• Funny 1

same thing really.....

However I think it was unlikely before, they wouldn't be a retool, they would have to be basically new models

is that not what a retool is? essentially an all new model.....i think the points been understood though ;)

Maybe Hornby will release the 90 in their Railroad range to compete? They do it with the 47 and if I remember correctly the Northern Belle wasn't available for very long and it seems a bit expensive too for what it was. 

• Agree 1

Maybe Hornby will release the 90 in their Railroad range to compete? They do it with the 47 and if I remember correctly the Northern Belle wasn't available for very long and it seems a bit expensive too for what it was.

Other forces were at play there as I understand it...

To "Railroad" their 90, Hornby would have to be producing it in simplified liveries to get the cost down - not sure how the liveries that would be popular would withstand that. I don't think we've seen Hornby retire any tooling all together because a competitor has come out with a version (hell, the 86 is still in the main range...) so I suspect that the 90 will be hanging around for some time yet in one or other of the ranges.

• Informative/Useful 1

This is awesome news for the 'rare breed' that is the OHLE modeller. I'll be picking up a couple, dispite them being too er... 'modern' for my not-so-modern image tastes (Northwest WCML circa may 1974). I've always had a softspot for 90's. And as has previously been stated, this opens the door for some re-motored Lima/ Hornby 87's (still need to find a fix for the cab windows) and even turning a Hornby 86 (still a fantastic model BTW) into 86/2's, which expect I will try to do once I can get my hands on a bachy 90 cheap enough for the project(s). This announcement pretty much put the brake handle into emergency possition my Helimby 87 project.

ClikC

Edited by ClikC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know they may well be a long time coming, but a set of the freight connection locos would be fantastic, I'd certainly have the set to replace my Hornby repaints (no yellow ends on three of them though please, just as they were displayed!).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Atthe new 90 certainly is a gamechanger for ac enthusiasts like myself with its potential for an 87 follow up. at least its good now that there is more choice. pay around £120 for a top draw model or less than half that if youre happy with the old Hornby version.

I wouldn't take Hatton's heavily conditional pre-order price too seriously.

The Bachmann model is unlikely to arrive for the better part of two years and I'll be surprised if they get within £20 of that by the time it does.

John

never was a problem when i bought my 85s from them on pre-order.

besides i'm not the type that would lie awake at night fretting over a couple of quid either way.it aint worth worrying about and tbh its unlikely i will find a better price anywhere else if it does end up costing more than initially advertised. i'm having one regardless of the wait or cost :)

done no different ordering my mk2f's and dbso.

i might even make a trip to hattons and check my first 90 out before handing over the readies. get it on the test track too.

Edited by ThaneofFife

I know they may well be a long time coming, but a set of the freight connection locos would be fantastic, I'd certainly have the set to replace my Hornby repaints (no yellow ends on three of them though please, just as they were displayed!).

About 20 years ago a club I'd recently joined inherited a WCML layout, and since stock already existed for the blue era, I thought I'd contribute a loco for my era. This was 90027 in ICML with a Hurst pan and directional lights that stayed on. Then Shawplan were selling the correct Freightconnection paint off cheap at the Bristol Show, and one loco became four (and eventually about 30....).

post-6819-0-25521600-1406055069_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-08670300-1406055116_thumb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

I wouldn't take Hatton's heavily conditional pre-order price too seriously.

The Bachmann model is unlikely to arrive for the better part of two years and I'll be surprised if they get within £20 of that by the time it does.

John

I think now we know the state of play their pre-order price is an informed estimate rather than a number plucked out of thin air. I doubt it'll stay at £119, but I also doubt it'll change by a noticeable amount. 

• RMweb Premium

About 20 years ago a club I'd recently joined inherited a WCML layout, and since stock already existed for the blue era, I thought I'd contribute a loco for my era. This was 90027 in ICML with a Hurst pan and directional lights that stayed on. Then Shawplan were selling the correct Freightconnection paint off cheap at the Bristol Show, and one loco became four (and eventually about 30....).

attachicon.gifIMAG0974_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0976_1.jpg

Nice collection.

My mate did the official repaints for the presentation locos - I built up the front valances using blocks of plasticard for them and then made the wooden plinths for the locos.

I wonder where they are now?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was wondering how they could make them in original paint with 'fit yourself' yellow ends. Didn't come up with a solution tho :(

• RMweb Premium

actually no dont do that.

the number and i kid you not for The Samaritans is 08457-90 90 90!

thats likely to tip the dummy spitters over the edge.talk about rubbing salt in their wounds.....

0845 868790 would be the real bed-wetter.......... :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• Friendly/supportive 1

Wonder why the yellow on the DB went up beside the windscreens?

Probably to satisfy BR's requirement for a certain percentage of the visible front end being yellow. The space below the driver's window is yellow on the other two, the DB one had a big white panel so needed as much yellow as possible elsewhere.

I rather like the Belgian livery of the 3 locos repainted above.. oh no not another country to model! 

I liked the 90s when they first came out on the wcml  at a time when I travelled on it quite a bit, and found they've given me a bit of interest in the current railway scene, with freights (that aren't hauled by yet another 66!) and they are still running express trains from Liverpool st to Norwich, so not another emu/dmu.  One freightliner runs from Coatbridge nr Glasgow to Felixstowe most days and I've by coincidence seen that train in a number of places  hauled by a 90. Could be the longest freight route in the UK? Not sure.

Anyway, an interesting loco but really too late a period for the layout and it's stock. (Quite apart from the ohle etc). But I'm now thinking, perhaps my maroon mk1 tso rake could be a charter train, hauled by a 90 (or indeed any "preserved" or current loco) if I don't look too closely at semaphore signals etc.  Also perhaps overhead wires could run from a hidden siding (representing another route) to the passing station then an electrically hauled train could have the electric loco taken off and changed for a diesel for the main part of it's run round the rest of the layout. Only need the wires for a short stretch then.

Think I should look out for a 90 model, even if it goes on a shelf in a display cabinet.

• Like 1

Other forces were at play there as I understand it...

To "Railroad" their 90, Hornby would have to be producing it in simplified liveries to get the cost down - not sure how the liveries that would be popular would withstand that. I don't think we've seen Hornby retire any tooling all together because a competitor has come out with a version (hell, the 86 is still in the main range...) so I suspect that the 90 will be hanging around for some time yet in one or other of the ranges.

As the railroad range varies in price from £27.49 - £119.99 RRP I am sure they could fit a few nineties in there no matter what the livery. The class 92 in GBRf can be had for £77.25 RRP.

Edited by thebritfarmer

As the railroad range varies in price from £27.49 - £119.99 RRP I am sure they could fit a few nineties in there no matter what the livery.

But then those ones wouldn't be in the Railroad range now would they?

im sure most folk dont need a crystal ball to know the Hornby 90 will be with us for a while as the Bachmann 90 has to be at least 18 months maybe 2-2.5 years away ala the class 85 turned out! BUT provided they are still shifting them.thats the caveat. otherwise if numbers of brand new 90s being sold/demanded is so low even before the Bachmann 90 arrives its almost not worth clogging up a valuable production slot to make more of the same.

i would wager that most of the people who say they like to work with the old Hornby model to bring it up to a standard they find acceptable arent those same people that are buying the brand new off the shelf 90s. buying secondhand would be more likely and so whether Hornby retire their model is down to that factor-the bleedin'obvious to all but a few sleepy heads. if they are not selling anymore in viable numbers then from a hard nosed business pov kill it off.

and of course time will come when bachmanns 90 starts to filter onto the used market and youll then probably see folk who detailed the Hornby verdion migrate to the Bachmann model as a better base.

all that said.....id consider running a few final hoorah liveried Hornby 90s especially if they have ready to go chassis and unpainted bodyshell stocks.

• Agree 1

I think it is more complicated than that. It could end up with Hornby selling more due to the price differential and the lack of knowledge of the buying public. I don't do modern image so I am not au fait with the differences of the 66 for example. If I was a casual buyer I would pick the Hornby one on price.