Agenoria WR 1366 Pannier for Pencarrow Bridge

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Here are the pictures. I build the frames then fit the bearings or horns. If fitting horns I use springs to gently push the them onto the frames whilst lining up and soldering. One of the axles goes through the hole that has the axle jig in it. stops everything falling of when moving it around.

attachicon.gifd.jpg

attachicon.gife.jpg

Snap!

Flat pack Ikea style - arrived in less than 18hrs from placing the order!

post-6675-0-08559200-1405106598_thumb.jpg

Contact details in case anyone else wants a set

post-6675-0-15370400-1405106600_thumb.jpg

10 screws later

post-6675-0-07650300-1405106602_thumb.jpg

(1 less excuse to start!)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I take it you don't need a jig to get the jig square ?

That has crossed my mind...but let's not go there.

Think I'll clamp it down to a peice of polished granite worktop i have. That should do it. 

• RMweb Gold

Fire iron or pricker ?

Could well be, but seems an awkward place to store it, given that GWR men were fastidious about their locos and thereis a set of hanging hooks behind the bunker ( and yes, I know this is a BR livery, but no doubt had the same crews).

• RMweb Premium

I reckon it's Weymouth quay.

I went initially from the large bank behind the loco and the fact there was a tanker there...but then I noticed the lack of rough ballast and then something watery looking. I suspect you're right then with somewhere foreign like Weymouth. 

Feel free to post photos of them on the B&W to make up for this. 

• RMweb Gold

What's this on 1370, that's not on 1369 ?

attachicon.gif1370.jpg

Perusing photos of the class the only photos I have seen are 1369 and 1367 showing the pipe one on the other side are of the locos on the docks probably Weymouth. Something to do with the street running?

Don

Street running is an interesting point, happened in Birkenhead docks too, and I'm sure, many other places where locos, people, horses and road vehicles used the same streets.

I wonder what the rules were for "covering up" as the various tramways, standard and narrow gauge, needed to do, whereas it was clearly not needed in other locations.  Man with a flag?

Perhaps the docks were not "public roads" and thus subject to different regulations?

best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

What are the lengths of wood called that shunters used to lever and pin down brakes on wagons?

Cos that's what I think it is......

It (or rather 'they' because there appear to be two) look very much like shuntng poles to me - which is what Shunters used to couple and uncouple wagons and what naughty/stupid Shunters with a deathwish sometimes used to get the final bit of leverage on a brake handle when pinning down brakes.   Using shunting poles for that was prohibited (except where specially strengthened poles were in use) as they had a very nasty habit of eventually disintegrating when so misused, and that could, & did, hurt people quite severely.

Brakes should be applied with a 'brake stick' - a piece of timber squared at one end (about 3"x3' or a bit bigger I would think) and round at the other end to make a handle and around a couple of feet long - nice and sold for holding down a brake lever and quite useful for chasing off yobbos and undesirables.

A sprag is totally different from either of the above - tapered at both ends and much thicker in the middle - you put it through an axleguard (ideally) and into the hole in a stationary wheel or between the spokes in order to stop the axle rotating, i.e. it acted as a brake.  Also, with a few fishplates, very useful for surreptitious re-railing hence they tended to be found on GW Shunters' Trucks.

Sorry, have come a little late to this thread. I have built one of these kits recently and very nice it is too. The etchings are very good indeed (although mine didn't come with pre-folded tanks) but I found the castings a bit of a mixed bag-I threw away the chimney and safety valve covers and got some suitable ones from JPL, I am fortunate in that I am only a fifteen minute drive from their shop. My only real criticisms were the aforementioned castings and the confusion over the tank rivets(or lack of. Fortunately, I looked at plenty of photographs beforehand). I'm not totally convinced that the cab isn't a touch too narrow, judging by photographs but I can't be certain.

As for the compensation arrangement, I found that it didn't work particularly well, not freely enough, so all I did was remove the beams, put a stop above each of the leading axleboxes and let the centre ones find their own ride height. Seems to work. Due to the design of the kit it is not really possible without a lot of butchery to fit a large motor, I used a second-hand RG7 from the aforementioned JPL and it performs admirably, runs nice and slow too. I would recommend fitting plenty of weight in the tanks, there's loads of room. I soldered some offcuts of lead sheet in them. The loco will haul eight heavy coaches up the slight incline on our club layout. I think that's good enough.

Hope all this helps. I also bought a copy of The Pannier Papers Number 6 by Irwell Press on this class and the 1500s, some very useful photographs. A dig around flickr and the Rail Photoprints website will also turn up some useful photographs. I will be away from my laptop for a fortnight from Wednesday but if I can help just ask. Photos attached of my slightly battered 1367-I spent an hour in the cab of the real one at Wadebridge in 1964 so just had to build one.

Jeff

post-12187-0-36667800-1405253649_thumb.jpg

post-12187-0-36226100-1405253698_thumb.jpg

• Like 8