ROSAMUND STREET (LOW LEVEL) SIDINGS

br2975

Having arrived home from this afternoons jaunt to Rosamund Street, I took my WTT off the shelf and a copy of Page 116, one of the pages devoted to local trip workings is attached below.

A chat with the crew revealed that D3256 had been rostered for the duty today, but had failed to start this morning with flat batteries so they stole the carriage shed pilot !

I'll be back there with my camera later this week as D3256 is one of the few local shunters still in green with radiator ladders; it's also long overdue a trip to Swindon.

Watch this space.

Brian R

E76 Rosamund Street Trip Pilot.docx

• Like 1

The local council are taking advantage of the school holidays and will be carrying out the refurbishment of Rosamund Street Council School.

So today we took the long bed lorry down and delivered a triple sixteen, crawling boards, hand shovel, buckets, rope and waste bags................. because next week yours truly will be up in the school hall attic crawling around, shovelling up over a hundred years of pigeon guano from between the joists then lowering it down by the bucket load.

Already got a buyer - one of the scaffolders has got an allotment.

Meanwhile, across the road, and now for the second day running,  Canton's air braked 4176 is still on the 9E76 trip.

Even more surprising, it's coupled to a shunters 'gig' - now becoming rare (but not unknown) in the area. 

The crew (still underworked) tell me that whatever happens, 4176 will not be on 9E76 tomorrow.

The shunter gave me a spare copy of the Sectional Appendix and pointed out the sections relevant to working this trip, I'll post them later.

Brian R

post-1599-0-24659800-1444301059_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Very much my sort of thing this, Brian. Run down, hidden away, on its last legs - wonderful stuff!

Make sure you keep hold of these 'Private and Not for Publication' documents, in 30 or 40 years time modellers will find them invaluable.

Very much my sort of thing this, Brian. Run down, hidden away, on its last legs - wonderful stuff!

Make sure you keep hold of these 'Private and Not for Publication' documents, in 30 or 40 years time modellers will find them invaluable.

Those documents won't be going anywhere Adrian.

• Like 1

Having been conceived and constructed against the deadline of an exhibition date, Rosamund St. initially made do with predominantly modified and weathered RTR vehicles, especially Bachmann vans and 'pools' (16 ton minerals).

Now, with one eye on the next project -  a different theme is under preparation.

This will be turn of the '70s South Wales.

Coal and steel products will predominate; hence the current project to create a rake of unfitted four wheel coil wagons.

"Coil J" - not too difficult a proposition, just cut down a few of my drawer full of Hornby 'Iron Ore' Tipplers, and a few cut down Parkside Tipplers.

These wagons appear to have superceded a fleet of 16 ton mineral wagons (from a variety of diagrams ) used by Richard Thomas & Baldwins (RTB) to carry coil around South Wales.

The converted 16 tonners are catered for by Bachmann and Parkside, with removable floors, timber baulks and cross pieces.

Only the lettering will be an obstacle in finishing the RTB wagons, 'Railtec' coming to the rescue with the "Coil J" conversions

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1854

A smaller fleet of wagons were the "Coil C" conversion of Pig Iron wagons with panelled sides and planked floors.

I have considered scratch building a few in a batch.

However, today I visited a Toyfair at Cogan Leisure Centre where an enjoyable hour or so was spent with other RMwebbers including Wayne37901, Baz and 'naturol'

Being prone to rummage in the undertable boxes, I came upon a British Trix Pig Iron wagon, never seen one before, didn't know they existed.

Over thick sides on what looks like an LMS style underframe.

But the dimensions are 'about right' and there just may be potential there, with a Parkside underframe, scratchbuilt baulks etc.

So, watch this space..................

Brian R

post-1599-0-92016500-1444491245_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-81057700-1444491265_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

HillsideDepot, on 08 Oct 2015 - 12:42, said:

Brian. Run down, hidden away, on its last legs

That's not a very nice thing to say about a fellow modeller.

Mike.

"Run down" - definitely

"on its last legs" - most days.

So, two out of the three ain't bad !

Brian R

Some good stuff going on here - a good read and innovative - you are in the right area for inspiration.

....see you next weekend.

#coyw #pne

Ian

Thanks Ian

I might give it a miss next week, need to start saving for France 2016.

Brian R

• Like 1

Being of a 'certain age' I can remember the 'nine-fivers' working around South Wales; and admit to having a soft spot for them.

One of their last jobs was 9H57 a trip pilot based on Penarth Curve North, a small group of sidings adjacent to Canton depot, and which took in Newtown / Long Dyke, Ferry Road / Ely Paper Mill and Radyr - which passed my school, hence my being placed in the 'B' stream !

The Canton 86A allocation as at July 28th. 1967 comprised:-

D9500/02/06/13/14/18/19/26/27/28/30/38/48/49/50/51/52 =17 locos.

The Canton duties for the class at that time were:-

(The first location refers to where the loco would normally ‘stable’ )

Newport, Ebbw Jct. – Uskmouth Branch trips.

Newport, Ebbw Jct. - Bedwas Colly. & Trethomas Coking Plant.

Pontypool Rd. – Abergavenny trips.

Pontypool Rd. – ROF Glascoed trips.

Aberbeeg trips.

Aberbeeg banker (to Ebbw Vale).

Severn Tunnel Jct. – Chepstow/Tintern/Lydney trips

Canton, Cardiff area – Barry/Barry Docks/Radyr trips

Canton, Cardiff area – Newtown Yd./Ely Paper Mill/Radyr trips.

Canton, Cardiff area – Penarth Town/Penarth Cement Works trips.

Aberdare, trips to Mountain Ash.

Aberdare, trips to Abercwmboi Phurnacite Plant

Abercynon, trips to Lady Windsor Colly. (Ynysybwl).

Barry, trips to Aberthaw.

Radyr, trips to Aber Jct. via Taffs Well.

Radyr, trips to Cathays/Gabalfa Coal Yard/Stanton & Staveley

Radyr, trips to Treforest/Maritime Colly./Pontypridd.

Treherbert, trips Rhondda Valley.

All had been withdrawn by April/May 1969; but I can remember standing on the footbridge at Canton depot one evening in November 1969, being warmed by the exhaust of a withdrawn example as it shunted the Brickyard sidings opposite the depot. It could have been D9500 which left Canton about the 16th. of that month for a new life with the NCB at Ashington.

Or, it could have been withdrawn D9555 which arrived from store at Landore and was repaired at Canton where it was the shed pilot on 19th. December, it was sold to the NCB in March 1970.

So, one was a must for Rosamund St. - unfortunately it still awaits a chip and weathering.

The photo shows how traffic has declined in the few years since the 'nine fivers' (no one I knew called them 'Teddy Bears' or Paxmans)were withdrawn.

The pitwood has come from either Bell's Yard at Marshfield on the south side of the SWML, or W.O.Williams yard at Wern Tarw near Bridgend.

The baled scrap may well have come from one of the yards on the Riverside Branch, (Bill Way or Western Metals ?).

As for the coal, bound for Homer St. coal yard - if Mr.Blakey delivers any of that rubbish in the one wagon to my mother he'd best look out !

Brian R

PS

This evening, whilst listening to Wales v Bosnia Herzegovina I've knocked up a jig to assist scribing the outline of doors and flaps on the inside of the Bachmann 'pools'.

post-1599-0-98555700-1444512055_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 5

Saturday 11th September 1971 and we're home to Sheffield Wednesday.

The walk from to the pub and later to the ground takes us past Homer St. coal yard, where from the gates I caught sight of a brake van at the rear of some 'pools' - disappearing out of the coal yard.

My WTT shows the trip is only a morning shift on Saturdays.

Expecting the van to disappear into the distance toward Riverside Junction, it doesn't.

A few moments later the van comes into view, leading the minerals, then come a handful of vans and from behind the plentiful undergrowth appears the full yellow ends of a 'six-eighter'.

Luckily, I had my Instamatic with me, and it even better, it had a film in it ready for the following Saturday's trip to Crewe Works Open Day.

I left the boys to walk to the pub, and get me in a 'pint of light' and sprinted the short distance to Rosamund Street.

The crew were only too happy to tell me there was no pilot available....... 4176 had obviously returned to its duties as shed pilot, and D3256 must still be in the main shed receiving attention.

So, here for your delectation is a remarkably clean GFYE 'six-eighter' about to leave Rosamund St. for the depot, it's mornings work over.

Brian R

post-1599-0-51920100-1444556080_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 11

Good timeline description Brian :) it's as it was.

I was too young for Crewe Open day that year - but we were on the WCML as 10 year olds watching doublehead 50's (D400's) pounding up to Shap - hooked for life after that.

As regards next Saturday always like to see your boys up here for the banter in (the Garrison as it was - now gone) there is usually a Dragon Colour flying (shortlived) in the Sumners

beer garden.

You have been on the end of some memorable scorelines at Deepdale - should be interesting.

Ian

Good timeline description Brian :) it's as it was.

I was too young for Crewe Open day that year - but we were on the WCML as 10 year olds watching doublehead 50's (D400's) pounding up to Shap - hooked for life after that.

As regards next Saturday always like to see your boys up here for the banter in (the Garrison as it was - now gone) there is usually a Dragon Colour flying (shortlived) in the Sumners

beer garden.

You have been on the end of some memorable scorelines at Deepdale - should be interesting.

Ian

Let's get the importants stuff out of the way first Ian.

My first visit to Deepdale was in the September of the 75-76 season, our manager was the late Jimmy Andrews, and we were thumped 3-1 by North End. Our goal was scored by the prolific Tony Evans (walks on water la,la,la,la,la !).

As was the norm, post match we went hot foot to Blackpool, B&B and a night on the Golden Mile.

Blackpool holds a place in Cardiff City fans hearts - all true City fans will say "I was at Blackpool when Barry Jones broke his leg"

If that is true, Cardiff and the Valleys must have been empty that weekend !

In 75-76 we had a stand off outside the ground, usual handbags at forty paces, all fluster and no action.

Went back many times over the years, especially when the job took me back to Lancashire and the 'real' grounds like Deepdale, the old Bloomfield Road, Turd Moor etc.

Crewe Works Open Day 1971, what an experience for a South Walian spotter, on the works that day were the following:-

201, 226, 229, 247, 252, 254, 261, 267, 270, 285, 297, 302, 305, 324, 325, 331, 370, 382, 385, 389,

405, 406, 407, 416, 437, 442, 443, 447,

1101, 1102, 1103, 1107, 1109, 1110, 1111, 1517, 1521, 1522, 1529, 1541, 1562, 1573, 1583, 1587, 1608, 1634, 1642, 1643, 1654, 1659, 1676, 1716, 1724, 1731, 1765, 1822, 1837, 1859, 1864, 1868, 1871, 1876, 1916, 1936, 1941, 1947, 1961, 1965, 1966, 1974, 1975, 1999,

3068, 3095, 3467, 3868, 3984,

6879, 6944, 6955, 6976, 6977,

8046, 8054, 8133, 8146, 8150, 8165,

E3005, E3018, E3019, E3046, E3049, E3050, E3051, E3055, E3060, E3077,

E3106, E3116, E3118, E3122, E3127, E3144, E3146, E3161, E3170, E3173, E3184, E3188, E3191, E3200,

E6101,

Crewe Electric Depot

E3006, E3057, E3091, E3139, E3142, E3154,

025, 033, 038,

I'll be back

Brian R

• Like 2

Set out again this morning in an effort to catch green 3256 on the Rosamund Street trip.

No sign of life at Rosamund Street, Homer St. coal yard or Riverside Junction.

As is the norm, 3256 was working at Long Dyke and was caught on its way back to the depot by my good friend Brian Tucker.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/briantrailandmore/13979051953/in/photolist-nihi88

There's always tomorrow ?

Brian R

• Like 2

“Depend upon it, Sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.”
So wrote Dr. Samuel Johnson in 1777.
But Johnson wasn't a railway modeller.
If he had been, he may have written:-
“Depend upon it, Sir, when a modeller has an exhibition in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.”
Even worse, and more forebidding, he could have written:-
“Depend upon it, Sir, when a man knows his layout is to be photographed on Friday, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.”

Hence a few evenings attending to all those fiddly jobs I couldn't be bothered with, until now..........
Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 2

Just seen 3256 trundling up my way with a brake van, it could do with going through the washer though.

Tony

Damn you sir !

I expect it was working 9E68 Radyr - Pontypridd Goods - Treforest coal yard - Pontypridd Goods - Maesmawr and Radyr.

And there's me, one film at the chemists being developed and no money for another until Friday.

• Like 1

As I mentioned earlier, this week the local council have had me shovelling 100 years of pigeon guano out of the roofspace above "Rosamund Street Council School" hall.

Scaling a swaying triple sixteen to get through the attic hatch gave me an insight into what it must be like to be the button boy at HMS Ganges.

Anyway, from the roof I have a wonderful view of the one end of Rosamund St. sidings.

The distinctive sound of a shunter told me it was time for some fresh air, and lo bouncing into view came........ 3595 operating DBV (diesel and brake van).

Again, 3256 has eluded me, but this one was worth a photo.

3595 emerged propelling the brake from No.1 road, reversed, then ran back toward the junction along the exchange road, as my mother would say "didn't even stop to knock!"

The hunt for 3256 continues.

Brian R

post-1599-0-84084000-1444753923_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

At last !

Leaving the job at Rosamund Street Council School yesterday and walking for the bus, that familiar sound, the rattling bonnet doors of a shunter echoed under the High Level bridge. 

Unable to walk on by, I scrambled up to look over the wall, and there she was Canton's green 3256, bonnet ladders intact and standing drawing a loaded Weltrol out of No.1 road.

As the loco ran around and attached the brake van, the shunter and guard told me this was an extra trip to collect part of an old steam engine  BSC have donated to the National Museum of Wales, and which had to be brought out by rail to be be tripped from Riverside Junction to Roath coal yard overnight.

I grabbed a couple of quick distance shots from under the bridge, but my new found friend the shunter tells me that he, the guard, driver and loco are on the same diagram all day tomorrow (today now) and they'll look out for me.

So I'm off to work, Instamatic in my pocket and loaded with a new slide film. 

More news and pictures later - hopefully.

Brian R

post-1599-0-84911900-1444886311_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-29439600-1444886344_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 10