Cardiff Clarence Road station

Jongudmund

• RMweb Gold

That would be nice. I recall our clubroom was on a balcony. We had two rooms accessed via a lovely cast iron set of stairs and onto the balcony.

Lovely red brick building...

G

Good afternoon Mr. G Smoke esq.

Are these the premises to which you referred ?

On an old map in my possession they are referred to as being used by " HM Submarine Miners "

Just think - a decent developer could have turned these into something plush and expensive................

Brian R

post-1599-0-81863300-1408274177_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-30883000-1408274194_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• Those with a long memory, well one that stretches back to Post #18 of this thread will recall reference to 'the lane' where a siding connection ran from the Riverside Branch to connect with the Glamorganshire Canal Railway.
  • The first picture, taken in the late 1980s is looking south toward the former Clarence Road station and shows " the lane " running to the left of the warehouse (formerly Burton & Sons a shipping company, and later used by Cardiff Corporation for storage).
  • The Riverside Branch trackbed can be seen to the right, and which nowadays, together with the buildings on the right hand edge all form part of the Century Wharf housing development.
  • The second picture, taken about the same time is looking in the opositedirection from the rear of Burtons warehouse and the one time west bank of the former Glamorganshire Canal and where the GCR 'main line' ran - looking along the lane across Dumballs Road toward the Riverside Branch.
  • The firms car, an Austin Maestro waits patiently for my return, it must have been a Sunday morning
  •  
  •  Brian R

post-1599-0-81193400-1408274666_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-36623800-1408274867_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yep. That's the one. If memory serves me right our club rooms were up the stairs and along a bit.

Rob

post-14122-0-66244500-1408281010.jpg

Speaking of The New Sea Lock - members of both the Llanedeyrn MRC (later the Bay MRG) and Cardiff 4mm should recall this lady, her hospitality and "lack of awareness relating to permitted hours !"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jbsees60/512001923/

Brian R

I remember with great fondness a similar attitude displayed by the landlord of original The Mountstuart, one of many wonderful dockland pubs now simply a memory.

Tony

I was driving through the bay yesterday on my way home and was telling my wife about this thread and "Rat Island" and the swingbridge that had rusted shut and everything you guys have stuck on this thread. And I said I wish I had a time machine to go back and see it all how it was then.

Thank you everyone for sharing your memories and photos. I really appreciate it.

I was driving through the bay yesterday on my way home and was telling my wife about this thread and "Rat Island" and the swingbridge that had rusted shut and everything you guys have stuck on this thread. And I said I wish I had a time machine to go back and see it all how it was then.

Thank you everyone for sharing your memories and photos. I really appreciate it.

It's good to have you aboard.

But, if you want to be a real 'Cardiff boy' - it's 'the docks' - always has been, always will be ............ not 'Butetown, and definitely none of this yuppified "Cardiff Bay" mularky.

And even the locals always referred to it as 'the docks' (or very rarely, "below the bridge" )

There's a good photo of James Street swingbridge  here:-

http://education.gtj.org.uk/en/blowup1/31832

The photo is taken looking west towards Grangetown.

The tall building, like a signal box is the control tower for the swing bridge, and it also housed a weighbridge.

The Glamorganshire Canal Railway ran along the far wall of the control tower, then crossed James St./Clarence Rd on the level to reach the sand wharves alongside the Sea Lock Pound (or Pond) in Harrowby Street and the later engine shed for the Greenwood & Baley built battery loco.

Gathering the jewels also has some other shots of the area, in which Clarence Road station and other features can be seen, all at:-

http://education.gtj.org.uk/en/blowup1/30337

http://education.gtj.org.uk/en/blowup1/30339

http://education.gtj.org.uk/en/blowup1/30340

Sea Lock Pound 1943 showing the sand wharves alongside Harrowby Street:-

http://education.gtj.org.uk/en/blowup1/30342

The attached photo is dated 1943 and shows the swing bridge from the Sea Lock Pound, and again shows the control tower - which is located where the present Cardiff Bay police station now stands.

Brian R

post-1599-0-11858500-1408295783_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3

Thanks Brian. I'll remember that when I need to fit in with proper Cardiff folks :-) Although, I thought Butetown has been in use longer than 'Cardiff Bay'.

I moved into Grangetown in 1995 and had no connection with Cardiff before moving here. We had the Olympic Torch relay along Corporation Road two years ago and the vehicles that preceded it included one with a sound system saying "Hello, Cardiff Bay!" and the same thing applied. Everyone looked at each other and said, "This is Grangetown, what are they on about?"

• Like 1

(i)

Not Frank Hennessy, please....!!!!!!

(ii)

Do you remember 'Nai for Pri' painted high up on the old Clarence Road bridge for many years after the election ?

(i)

Frank Hennessy - his claim to fame was as warm-up act for Pope John Paul II.

(ii)

But what did it mean ?

On ther subject of political graffiti:- I have a photo (reproduced elsewhere on this forum) from a wall at Swansea St. that read "Jim loves Julian more than Splott"

Brian R

I wonder if "Nai for Pri" was a wish that Aneurin Bevan should be PM?

Chris

Spot on. The cigar's in the post..........

As for Jules et Jim, I've a feeling that Sir Julian got his Knighthood whilst Jim was Home Secretary [and became of the directors of his new bank]. Ah, the good old days of the Welsh Labour Party.  Private Eye used to have a field day with Sir Jules, entitling him The Usurer of The Valleys.

Tony

Graffiti relating to Nye Bevan (architect of the NHS) -  that must have been there for a few years !

Nye wouldn't have had much competition, check out his then PM

"An empty taxi drew up outside No.10 Downing Street and Clement Attlee got out !"

Winston Churchill.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

I wish I'd been blessed with Churchill's wit and repartee.

Again, attacking Clem. Attlee he observed:-

“A sheep in sheep’s clothing... a modest man with much to be modest about.”

However F.E. Smith once said of Churchill:-

“Winston [devoted] the best years of his life to preparing his impromptu speeches”

Brian R

PS

What a wealth of banter here, not just railways and Clarence Road ?????????

Edited by br2975
  • Like 2

I've blathered on during this thread about the Glamorganshire Canal Railway ( GCR ) which was originally constructed by the Bute Trustees in order to link industries and warehouses on the west bank of the canal with the GWR Riverside Branch.

For those who know Cardiff as it is today, the northern end of the line was at West Canal Wharf, just about where Jacobs (Antique) Market is located today and the southern end was alongside the sea lock.

The original engine shed was located near the north end  between the canal ( near Lock No.51 ) and the timber pond, which when filled in became the site of the council abattoir, and is now occupied by Zurich.

Cardiff Corporation acquired the almost defunct canal in 1944, with a view to laying a water main along its course.

The canal from Lock 51 south was till in use at that time, mainy for floating timber and unloading sand dredgers.

Cardiff Corporation also acquired the GCR and its loco - at that time an Avonside 0-4-0ST named "Delwyn"

In 1945 the railway took delivery of a Greenwood & Batley 4wBE, works 2002. 

This continued to work the line until closure in 1963.

It was just before closure that I fell for this line and loco, as my dad worked for Cardiff Corporation at the nearby Trade St. Depot and the loco driver lived in our street - job done, a cab ride.

I'm told that such was my love for the loco,Santa Claus brought me a Tri-ang steeple cab, also in maroon livery the following Christmas.

Imagine my concern when dad and the driver joked about the loco having a mind of its own, and a habit of occasionally  riding up out of the blocked check rails and wandering off down Dumballs Road only to be reunited with the rails by use of a rope and a council lorry ! 

Rumour had it that at the time of closure, the loco had "chunks the size of a half crown missing from the flanges".

"GreenBat" was put out of its misery by Western Metals of Ferry Road, Cardiff in 1965.

The photo below was also acquired by our club when researching for our then Carence Road layout.

Again, the provenance of the (now battered) photo is unknown, but if it treads on any toes, please let me know and I'll act accordingly

Brian R

post-1599-0-71022400-1408385977_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

"A politician needs the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen." –Winston Churchill

• Like 2

there must have been something about Engine drivers living in our streets Bri the shunter/driver at ferry road warehouses lived two doors up from me so there was always a cab ride on the peckett when I visited !!!..happy days and thanks for the picture of the council Loco first one I have seen !

So where was Western Metals on Ferry Road, Brian?  Was it where the leisure centre is now or have they built houses on it? I remember the brick 'British Dredging' building on the corner of Avondale Road with Corporation Road.

So where was Western Metals on Ferry Road, Brian?  Was it where the leisure centre is now or have they built houses on it? I remember the brick 'British Dredging' building on the corner of Avondale Road with Corporation Road.

Cardiff Bay Retail Park, about where Pizza Hut is now.

Ferry Road is a funny street as it is in two parts ............. one part of Ferry Road runs alongside 'The Marl' playing fields - but if you head toward Ikea, when you reach the junction with Clive St. and South Clive St. Ferry Road becomes York Place for about 100 yards, then where the railway overbridge used to be, immediatley before the roundabout outside Ikea, the road becomes Ferry Road again.

Just take a look at the new(ish) flats built on the embankment of the former Ferry Road (actually Ely Tidal Harbour) Branch and you'll see they are in York Place.

And, the bed showroom in York Place at the junction with South Clive St. is the original Cardiff (horse drawn) tram depot !!!

There were several scrap yards in Ferry Road, and, apart from Western Metals - the yard next door was the most famous, run by Bill Way (everyone who needed spares to keep their car going went to Bill Way).

Both yards were rail served, as was the gas works (which had its own shunter) and a number of other industries that are now under the likes of Toys 'R' Us, Asda,  Ben & Jerry's and the Ice House..

In fact Ferry Road was littered with sidings, level crossings etc and the branch o the oil tank farm (by then truncated) only closed in the mid 80s.

In the very early 70s I used to frequent Cardiff Corporation's Ferry Road Tip, and at that time the following companies were located on Ferry Road

Ferry Road, Grangetown, Cardiff

Heading south from York Place.

Wales Gas Board

Dufay Paint

South Wales Paper Co.

Bill Way & Co. Ltd. Motor vehicle dismantlers.

Western Metal Co. Ltd. Scrap metal merchants.

British Car Auctions

Taff Wagon Engineering. Permanent way contractors.

Limmer & Trinidad. Asphalt manufacturers.

A.C.Beresford & Sons. Licenced horse slaughterers.

Howard Oils. Fuel oil distributors.

Frank Platt. Haulage contractor.

A.G.John. Scrap metal merchant.

Mobil Oil Co. Ltd. Oil merchants.

Walter Grenville & Co. Structural engineers.

Uniroyal. Tyre distributors.

South Wales Warehouses Ltd. - Victoria Wharf & warehouses.

Cardiff Caravans. Caravan hire.

John Ford & Sons. Scrap metal merchants.

Express Welding Co.

Crow Oil Co. Ltd.

Glamorgan Oil Services Ltd. (Esso distributors).

Esso Petroleum Co.

Cross over (as all the above were on the Ely River side of Ferry Road whereas the following was on the River Taff side of Ferry Road)

Penarth Railway Hotel. but known to all and sundry as "The Red House"

NOTES:-

Companies underlined thus, were allocated a TOPS location code by BR.

Wales Gas & South Wales Warehouses had their own locos.

This branch could be the basis for a whole new topic.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

Wasnt there a large wagon repair works there as well ? big blue place that eventually became british car auctions and there were warehouses alongside the road further up that sometimes had wagons delivered remember the peckett shunting the vans alongside them one day, and if you were cycling along the road you always had to keep a listen out for any of the Esso atctics coming under the bridge by the red house they didnt take any prisoners !also remember the gas works had a yellow planet loco only seen it working once when it ventured outside the gates!wonder what happened to that?

Wasnt there a large wagon repair works there as well ? big blue place that eventually became british car auctions and there were warehouses alongside the road further up that sometimes had wagons delivered remember the peckett shunting the vans alongside them one day, and if you were cycling along the road you always had to keep a listen out for any of the Esso atctics coming under the bridge by the red house they didnt take any prisoners !also remember the gas works had a yellow planet loco only seen it working once when it ventured outside the gates!wonder what happened to that?

Looking at page 43 of  Cooke, there were two wagon works into the late 1960s. The one nearest the gas works was Wagon Repairs Ltd (I think they became part of Marcrofts), whose Private Siding Agreement terminated at the end of June 1968. The second one was Taff Wagon Co, who seem to have been rail-connected until 1986.

In the last days of the branch, there seems to have been a brief revival of a siding serving a BP terminal, with a Private Siding Agreement dated 12/03/86.