Heljan class 47's

Summer_Saturday

The biggest mystery of all is how they carry on selling something that is so far out of scale, and an even bigger mystery is why people keep on buying them.

The Chassis issues reported elsewhere may not help the Heljan cause going forward if it becomes a more widespread problem.

I know the other posting concerning chassis problems directly has been closed to comments, but have just gone through my fleet of ten 47's and very relieved to find that none of them are suffering any noticeable chassis/body problems or damage. I can't provide a definitive list of which model 47's they are, as some are resprays and others are made up of separate bodies and chassis purchases. However mine tend to be RES, Virgin, Swallow and RFD liveried versions if thats of any help. With all that said I have decided to store the bodies separately. I don't have a complete layout at the moment, so rather than risk taking another look in six months to find that there has been some form of damaging corrosion. I shall err on the side of caution.

• 7 months later...

According to REX modeller the 47’s will be back in Q3 / Q4 this year:

BR green full yellow ends.

BR Green half yellow ends.

BR Blue.

Large logo.

Hopefully large logo without black headcode box and blue with headlight!!

Had a look in the Heljan cabinet at Warley and was disappointed to note that the BR Blue variant was as before with no headlight and black headcode. Unfortunately - can't remember if the LLogo was Black or Yellow headcode - doh!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the Largo logo 47 comes without transfers!!! not that they are any good, use fox instead.

Yes Owen - personally I prefer the Modelmasters LLogo transfers. Yet despite the new packaging (similar to Bachmann) one of mine still managed to arrive with the buffer beam step broken. Howes (as of 7-1-11) had not received any new supplies of 47 spares....YET! Strangely, the Ltd edition 47508 came in the old style packaging!! Looking forward to reducing its value with a re-identification to 47477.

The biggest mystery of all is how they carry on selling something that is so far out of scale, and an even bigger mystery is why people keep on buying them.

Firstly, it's not that bad... It can look stunning if properly detailed!

Have a look at this -

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/mostyn/Mostyn14GB.jpg

Now I think that looks pretty good.

Firstly, it's not that bad... It can look stunning if properly detailed!

Have a look at this -

http://www.barrowmor.../Mostyn14GB.jpg

Now I think that looks pretty good.

I agree with James. Properly treated the Heljan ones scrub up very well. Also there is more to it than just the appearances; I have both Bachmann and Heljan 47s but still prefer the running qualities of the Heljan. It all comes down to personal preferences and priorities.

• 2 weeks later...

The Heljan 47 is a good starting model, the width is the biggest problem, after spending severla weeks working with Bachmann, Vi-trains and lima and Hornby models, you can see the width discrepency that aside the Heljan 47 looks like a 47 should and knocks the spots off of the Lima and Hornby models, especially the latter, the Heljan model has nice moulded detail, and the variations of details are impressive, however for me the running isnt smooth from a standing start, and the motor just draws a big amount of power

NL

Archived