Kernow OO gauge LSWR Road Van

DJM Dave

I emailed Cambrian Models a couple of weeks ago with reference to both their LSWR D1410 Van and the proposed LSWR "New" Brake van D1543. Barry replied saying that he hoped the D1410 van would be ready for the Chatham show last weekend, however work on the D1543 guards van wouldn't be started until next year, no mention of when though.

I'm not sure though if the D1410 van is on sale yet or not. The website doesn't suggest that it is.

Sorry to go off topic, but it seemed partly relevant!

Kind regards,

Nick.

Good news on the Diagram 1410 van.  As soon as available I will order through Kernow MC (keeps this sort of on topic) as I have with Cambrian products in the past as I can no longer order direct being in the former colonies (although in my case of Spain)

Good news on the Diagram 1410 van.  As soon as available I will order through Kernow MC (keeps this sort of on topic) as I have with Cambrian products in the past as I can no longer order direct being in the former colonies (although in my case of Spain)

No sign of anything ''NEW'' on the Cambrian stand at Chatham so I didn't investigate further ! ......... if I remember rightly there have been a couple of D1410 vans on the market before and I've got a resin body ( from, I think, Martin Finney of all unlikely suppliers ) and an etched/whitemetal kit in the 'To Do' drawer : the latter is probably from the late lamented D.&.S. stable which - to get this almost back on topic - also did the D1545 brake in both widths ( was the S.R. Diagram number the same for both ? ). If I remember rightly, the D1410 kits both have wide planks as built rather than whatever combination the vans ended up with and I never found a picture of one I was happy to reproduce : might have to invoke Rule 1. Not sure, off hand, whether Gramodels do an L.S.W.R. van - they certainly do a selection of opens but they never quote diagram numbers so I'm not quite sure what they are !

No sign of anything ''NEW'' on the Cambrian stand at Chatham so I didn't investigate further ! ......... if I remember rightly there have been a couple of D1410 vans on the market before and I've got a resin body ( from, I think, Martin Finney of all unlikely suppliers ) and an etched/whitemetal kit in the 'To Do' drawer : the latter is probably from the late lamented D.&.S. stable which - to get this almost back on topic - also did the D1545 brake in both widths ( was the S.R. Diagram number the same for both ? ). If I remember rightly, the D1410 kits both have wide planks as built rather than whatever combination the vans ended up with and I never found a picture of one I was happy to reproduce : might have to invoke Rule 1. Not sure, off hand, whether Gramodels do an L.S.W.R. van - they certainly do a selection of opens but they never quote diagram numbers so I'm not quite sure what they are !

To answer my own question Gramodels offer one L.S.W.R. wagon WITH Diagram Number quoted : 1410 ! ( the opens ARE unspecified 8-plankers ).

• 2 months later...

I emailed Cambrian Models a couple of weeks ago with reference to both their LSWR D1410 Van and the proposed LSWR "New" Brake van D1543. Barry replied saying that he hoped the D1410 van would be ready for the Chatham show last weekend, however work on the D1543 guards van wouldn't be started until next year, no mention of when though.

I'm not sure though if the D1410 van is on sale yet or not. The website doesn't suggest that it is.

Sorry to go off topic, but it seemed partly relevant!

Kind regards,

Nick.

The Dia 1410 van was marked 'Coming Soon' on the Cambrian stand at Scaleforum ...........

Relevant for me as I will be ordering several D 1410 kits through Kernow when available. When the D 1543 becomes available, Kernow will be my source for that too.  Cambrian's misguided insurer prevents direct sales by Cambrian to North America.

And I have the Kernow/DJM LSWR road van on pre-order too (keeps it on topic).

• 1 month later...

I might consider buying one, but I have had a set of the Gated Stock push-pull coaches on pre-order for the last few years.  I realise that it would be impossible to produce new items as quick as they are desired, but I am feeling a little disenchanted with the idea of pre-ordering something that might not be ready even in 4 or 5 years time.  An alternative for me might be to feel virtuous and have a go at one of the Smallbrook Studio kits.

I can sympathise with your point of view. No doubt there are very good reasons for the delays. However, if I pre-order something, I put the money aside because not to do so is inviting trouble if lots of things arrive at once. Currently, so much is arriving from a plethora of manufacturers that that’s where my money goes. When it looks as if something might emerge soon, then I might pre-order.

Don't forget two advantages of pre-ordering : -

1 )   It tells the manufacturer that you're interested and it might actually be worth producing the thing - however long it may take.

2 )   If it turns out to be a particularly popular choice - 30064 for instance - you can get your name on one before they sell out !

• 9 months later...

hmmmmmmmmm ........................ almost three years from announcement & nine months since any discussion here - without any sign of change on the Kernow website ........... are these really still 'expected during 2017' I wonder ?

I doubt that we will see them this year. If my memory serves me correct  , I think these are next in line for production after the Gate stock are released.

Cheers,

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have two on order. Be interesting to see if the apparent sharp practice which appears to have afflicted the release of the Gatestock has a knock on effect with other exclusives such as the road vans......

Rob

• Like 1

I made an enquiry yesterday about this van and got, in part, the following from Kernow:

“The first CADs are done for this model, but is some way done our list of priorities at present with several other models ahead of it in the queue. We may see delivery during 2018 but it cannot be guaranteed”

Cheers,

David

I think the Smallbrook version uses a Dapol chassis. They have also tooled the MSWJR version which is similar but I can't find a pic in GW livery as at least one lasted until 1935. One of those research tasks that is in the pending pile. Being non GW, there is no reference in my usual sources.

I think the Smallbrook version uses a Dapol chassis. They have also tooled the MSWJR version which is similar but I can't find a pic in GW livery as at least one lasted until 1935. One of those research tasks that is in the pending pile. Being non GW, there is no reference in my usual sources.

The Smallbrook one uses its own resin chassis. I have one in build at present, along with two other designs from the same source. The 18t one is all but finished, but the other two are still under construction, awaiting final paint touch-ups and glazing.

37513546822_267346ef4b_o.jpg

37544878031_2a612900bb_o.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Was it this one?  Although some of Smallbrook's kits don't include a chassis it appears that this one does.

The prototype had a 10' 6" wheelbase, a RTR chassis with the correct wheelbase (42mm) is not made.

I bought a Smallbrook LSWR road van kit and began to build it before Kernow's model was announced. It did have a ready to run chassis. It was the first resin model I have attempted to build and I think I got as far as painting the model before assembling it. Unfortunately I have lost the model now.

As a temporary measure I repainted a Bachmann brake van in LSWR livery while the two Kernow models are being made. I have not received any adverse comments about running it on my layout and it looks quite attractive behind an Adams Radial tank and some private owner wagons.

• Like 2