Exciting New Arrivals ?

Ian Hargrave

"some very special locomotives"

(A bit sarcastically)

Which ones would those be? Ones where all the correct parts are permanently attached? Ones where the packaging doesn't scrape the paint? Ones where the paint doesn't have milky blotches?

(End sarcasm)

It is really nice to see the flow of models improve. This is a really good sign that Hornby has a fighting chance to return to profitability and it encourages me a lot.

Having said that, let's also hope that the newly manufactured models have a quality consistent with what we had come to expect from Hornby a few years ago. Quality has been very uneven recently and seems to vary from excellent to poor according to reports I see here and from my own experience.

Ian, do you have a reason to suspect that this promotional tease is something substantive? Or is it just the arrival of long expected items?

• RMweb Gold

The phrase comes in their now frequent newsletter.Misinformed sources quote a complete set of P2 's 2001 to 2006 each with its own individual detailing and set of alternative accessories covering all tweaks received by each before their storage in wartime.To be presented in a solid walnut case.

The phrase comes in their now frequent newsletter.Misinformed sources quote a complete set of P2 's 2001 to 2006 each with its own individual detailing and set of alternative accessories covering all tweaks received by each before their storage in wartime.To be presented in a solid walnut case.

How disappointing - I was expecting mahogany.

Bill

... a complete set of P2 's 2001 to 2006 each with its own individual detailing and set of alternative accessories covering all tweaks received by each before their storage in wartime. To be presented in a solid walnut case.

I'll tak two?

Doubtless this was intended as a referendum tie in that's just a wee bit late.

It is really nice to see the flow of models improve. This is a really good sign that Hornby has a fighting chance to return to profitability and it encourages me a lot.

Having said that, let's also hope that the newly manufactured models have a quality consistent with what we had come to expect from Hornby a few years ago. Quality has been very uneven recently and seems to vary from excellent to poor according to reports I see here and from my own experience.

Ian, do you have a reason to suspect that this promotional tease is something substantive? Or is it just the arrival of long expected items?

I agree that quality has been variable, and I suspect the ' exceiting new arrivals' hype is about the actual arrival of many planned for this period. Happy to be proven wrong though.

The small things which are faulty on a couple of my recent purchases are chimney on a main range CotN slightly high at front, and running board on Castle 'Wellington' being slightly bent up and front and centre. They both run fine and in neither case are the faults visible unless looked at very carefully. Sometimes I wonder if there isn't a hint of rose-tinted-glasses in our view of models from the 2002-12 decade.

Rob

typo edit

Sometimes I wonder if there isn't a hint of rose-tinted-glasses in our view of models from the 2002-12 decade.

I don't think so.

I think the QA issues started around the time of the T9 Greyhound where the tender frames were attached backwards.

The 'hi-spec' Schools when released was a wonderful model from a QA standpoint, as were the King Arthurs. They did not have any of the issues that later models often have - like parts loose in the packaging, some glued that came off, some that were never glued. The Maunsell coaches are from this time. The Hawksworth coaches are also very good.

Tintagel Castle had a litany of problems that people reported here - WR smokebox with number plate on the GWR version. Milky paint splotches. Multiple bits falling off - the chimney was wobbling in it's socket on mine. Models like the Schools had none of these problems.

Then there's the B set coaches with the wrong bogies. This was fixed after market, unlike the bogie wheels on the Star. I think there are very evident trends in Hornby's QA and we are not imagining that things were better in the good old days.

• RMweb Gold

QC issues were evident long before that. My first original airsmoothed light pacific 34081 (R2220 ?)  circa 2001/2 had valve gear that fell to pieces.Similar issues with that area occurred with A3 Flying Fox,a Clan and a 38XX. I have also experienced the notorious split gear syndrome withn a number of rebuilt Bulleid Pacifics and a King Arthur.

Rob.....you are quite correct.There is a history.

Dont tell me that Hornby have done a secret NER B16 design, able to model all varients that comes with DCC Sound, smoke, grime, lights and the grin on the drivers face and language from the fireman. Extra function on sound chips being the sound of steak cooking on a surprisingly clean shovel....?  

:O

Nahhhhh....

It'll be a Black 5 in 1968 condition, with dual built in smoke generators, one oozing "steam" from every gland, the other pouring black clag from the chimney. DCC sound will be a constant squeal of ill-lubricated parts and the loco itself will grind along at no more than a scale 30MPH.  Other effects will include a litany of well judged, ritualised "language" from both driver and fireman and the sound of a hammer being repeatedly applied to something solid that won't move.

Of couse, in the real world, ANY new* loco will be welcomed with open wallets!

* New meaning not a rerun or relivery of something previously produced.  Whats been on the back-burner for so long that its become mythical?

Nahhhhh....

It'll be a Black 5 in 1968 condition, with dual built in smoke generators, one oozing "steam" from every gland, the other pouring black clag from the chimney. DCC sound will be a constant squeal of ill-lubricated parts and the loco itself will grind along at no more than a scale 30MPH.  Other effects will include a litany of well judged, ritualised "language" from both driver and fireman and the sound of a hammer being repeatedly applied to something solid that won't move.

Of couse, in the real world, ANY new* loco will be welcomed with open wallets!

* New meaning not a rerun or relivery of something previously produced.  Whats been on the back-burner for so long that its become mythical?

A new updated Black Five, now that really would be something, problem is how long would it take to to hit the shelves ???? :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Does this announcement relate to arrivals (ie actual locos arriving here) or announcements of new ones?

Can anybody say for sure?

I did hear that the J15s and D16s are now well advanced, so perhaps they have landed but do they qualify as "very special"?

It would be a great boost for Hornby's reputation if they have been working in secret on something and pull a very nice rabbit out of the hat, all finished and without a great long wait before we get our sticky mitts on it!

How about a P2 as "Prince of Wales"? Is that "very special"?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Dont tell me that Hornby have done a secret NER B16 design, able to model all varients that comes with DCC Sound, smoke, grime, lights and the grin on the drivers face and language from the fireman. Extra function on sound chips being the sound of steak cooking on a surprisingly clean shovel....?  

:O

Nah, it's the Q6 quickly brought forward from next year's announcements in a bid to beat DJM in cornering the North Eastern market  (presumably the grin on the B16 Driver's face meant that he'd been expecting a B1 and got a B16 instead?).

• RMweb Gold

Roger...confirm that. Gloucestershire Old Spot just overflew house with trotters down on final approach to EMA. Hornby are bringing home the bacon....you wish ?

Are they - I'm having no trouble opening it.  Maybe they mean 'Bittern' is about to land as it is shown as 'special edition' with the two tenders?

In all probability their understanding of 'very special locomotives' is very different from ours because whilst we are most likely to think of something not previously announced, say a D16/3 in green, they might well consider the fact that something already announced but new tooling and now arriving for sale - say the 700 or the Crosti 9F - is 'special'.

But whatever it is they have achieved their aim - frothing and getting their name talked about around the 'net with a bit of build-up to whatever it might be; that's marketing folks.

Archived