Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

I think it may be mentioned earlier in this thread that the issue with the front bogie can be cured with a bit of attention from an emery board. Worked with my earlier version of this loco and it copes with my wibbly wobbly track.

Regards

Chris

I think it may be mentioned earlier in this thread that the issue with the front bogie can be cured with a bit of attention from an emery board. Worked with my earlier version of this loco and it copes with my wibbly wobbly track.

Regards

Chris

Did you take something from the bogie or the loco body ?

From memory a shade off the loco

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:14

Gunslinger, on 26 Nov 2015 - 19:04, said:

I'd noticed a tendency to stall in particular spots on the track with wheel spin too - not associated with curves or the load attached. This (+ my uneven track) may be the cause. Think I'll wait to see if others have similar experience before getting the file out!

I had this trouble also - blame my 30 year old baseboards and my less than perfect tracklaying. I whipped the front bogie off, little bit of filing just over the coupling box, bogie back on and fantastic

Edited by Chrisr40

From memory a shade off the loco

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:14

Gunslinger, on 26 Nov 2015 - 19:04, said:

I'd noticed a tendency to stall in particular spots on the track with wheel spin too - not associated with curves or the load attached. This (+ my uneven track) may be the cause. Think I'll wait to see if others have similar experience before getting the file out!

I had this trouble also - blame my 30 year old baseboards and my less than perfect tracklaying. I whipped the front bogie off, little bit of filing just over the coupling box, bogie back on and fantastic

The original batch did not have enough up play, the new ones fix that but don,t have enough down play.

30584 arrived today, and was quickly tested on the rolling road on DC analogue power. After running for a few minutes, I removed the body and fitted a DCC Concepts direct plug-in decoder, which just fits below the bunker floor. Another quick test on the rolling road showed all was well, so she was allocated number 584, had CVs 3 and 4 altered to values of 25 and 18, then was tested briefly on the running lines. There were no hesitations or problems running light engine.

She was then set on the rolling road again for an hour of running in each direction for running-in purposes, then tested on the running lines again with a load of three Hornby coaches and a Bachmann PMV. Once again, there were no problems whatsoever.

Currently I have the radial running with a slightly lighter load, with the Bachmann PMV (again) and Hornby's 2-set of ex-LSWR coaches. 

Running qualities are very smooth and controllable, although it seems just a teeny bit buzzy. That may settle down with further running. I think the hauling power is commensurate with the real Adams radial tanks, or possibly even better. 

• Like 1

Finally got around to DCC fitting my LSWR model today. As has been said space inside the bunker is very limited. However... if you remove the socket and wiring loom beneath you will find a wafer thin PCB with four tags very handily marked as motor left, motor right, track left and track right. So even a larger decoder can fit in quite happily if you don't mind removing four wire tacks. You can also reattach it later on if you want to return it to factory condition and sell it :)

EDIT: The tabs aren't particularly close together either if your not super accurate with a soldering iron ;)

Edited by Mr chapman

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone.

I was working on my EKR Radial tonight & while bringing it up to eye level I caught the rear coupling on the edge of the baseboard & snapped it off where it meets the chassis.

Can anyone advise me on how I can remedy this as the coupling base seems to be part of the chassis.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to drill the die cast chassis >

Unless I stick a coupling box under the rear of the metal chassis.

If I decide to do that what would be the best adhesive to use ?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tony.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran in my Southern Adams Radial on the South Dorset Modellers test track at Winterbourne Kingston Village Hall. It ran very well on radius 2 curves and track which was not completely level at the join. It ran silently and looks splendid in Southern livery. No-one noticed the lack of daylight under the boiler. I am surprised that Hornby has not produced one in Southern Maunsell green to match Hornby's ex LSWR coaches. It is rule 1 locomotive for the purist as I am modelling the Swanage Railway and there is no record of 3520 ever having run there. If it had it would probably have been on the reserve list as 0520. Another member said that the Oxford Radial will run on first radius curves.

post-17621-0-13901700-1486159724_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well I have a pair of East Kent Railway books. The livery appears to represent the loco from 1928.

The coal rails should be open (the model has them closed which was later), and the green is stated as "Southern Railways 2nd shade of Green". Not sure what green that is, SR stations could use a second lighter green like the one on the model.

Be nice to know.

Hi Everyone.

I was working on my EKR Radial tonight & while bringing it up to eye level I caught the rear coupling on the edge of the baseboard & snapped it off where it meets the chassis.

Can anyone advise me on how I can remedy this as the coupling base seems to be part of the chassis.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to drill the die cast chassis >

Unless I stick a coupling box under the rear of the metal chassis.

If I decide to do that what would be the best adhesive to use ?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tony.

Update on this.

I sent an email to Oxford & they were able to send me a new coupling including the chassis fitting for a small payment.

They were very helpful until I asked some questions about the Dean Goods,then the emails stopped

• Like 1

I just posted more or less the following on the Hornby Adams Radial page.

Much criticism of Oxfords minimalist space under the boiler, apro po Hornby's version, but little praise - if any - for Oxfords radial's, chassis supported rear buffer beam, v images of the Hornby radial unsupported beam with daylight showing behind it!   Daylight where there shouldn't be?

Which is correct supported or apparently unsupported, and does it matter?

Peter

The position about whether there should be daylight above the pony truck has just been covered here and at the Hornby thread. Oxfordrail should be congratulated on mounting the radial truck with no daylight above it and on making a model that will negotiate tight curves. A member of the Purbeck Model Railway Group told me that his Oxfordrail Radial will negotiate radius 1 curves.

At the Radial trials last night my Oxfordrail Southern green Radial number 3520 took three laps of our layout at the first floor of the stables at Godlingston Manor, Washpond Lane,Swanage to catch up with Oxfordrail LSWR green 488 both with two Hornby ex LSWR coaches. It looks like later versions of the Oxfordrail Radial are getting better. 488 struggled with the load but this is more a reflection of the stiffness of the coaches than the pulling power of the Radial tank.

post-17621-0-09320500-1486839846_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Oxfordrail Adams Radial 3520 departing from the original Swanage Station with a set of ex LSWR coaches. Not strictly correct as the Adams Radials that ran on the Swanage Railway were on the duplicate list before being scrapped in the 1920s and the LSWR coaches were converted later. It does give an impression of a Swanage branch train in early Southern days. The original Swanage Station is a diorama on a 4' x 1' 10" board that I am working on this year.

post-17621-0-45285100-1486925714_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Update on this.

I sent an email to Oxford & they were able to send me a new coupling including the chassis fitting for a small payment.

They were very helpful until I asked some questions about the Dean Goods,then the emails stopped

What was the e-mail address please?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone else had problems with excessive wheel spin on the Adams? I have exchanged mine twice but still the same problem as the driving wheels have no traction and it comes to a grinding halt on any point or crossover - Peco code 100. I know that the response will probably be "its your track laying", but the track is good and many small tank engines, including a Hornby Peckett whistle along without missing a beat! And they can pull a coach or two or 4/5 wagons, which leaves the Adams at a standstill.

Many thanks,

Paul

Anyone else had problems with excessive wheel spin on the Adams? I have exchanged mine twice but still the same problem as the driving wheels have no traction and it comes to a grinding halt on any point or crossover - Peco code 100. I know that the response will probably be "its your track laying", but the track is good and many small tank engines, including a Hornby Peckett whistle along without missing a beat! And they can pull a coach or two or 4/5 wagons, which leaves the Adams at a standstill.

Many thanks,

Paul

Paul, are they from the initial batch? After the first batch, Oxford increased some clearnaces and the free play on the unpowered wheels because others had the same problem you are experiencing. There are some easy solutions in the earlier pages of this thread just after the models were released. Post #1296 on this page is about the right timeframe. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91184-oxfordrail-adams-radial/page-52