Connoisseur LSWR O2 for Pencarrow

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

A bit late now but what I do is to tin the underneath of the beading, measure where the centre line is on the cab and on the beading and then form the beading to the rough shape. Then I press down on the beading ( with a small piece of wood ) and start to sweat on the beading starting at the centre line and working outwards, works for me every time.

Martyn.

PS,   I use a piece of wood rather than a pair of pliers or tweezers, so not to cause a heat sink issue, and it also stops the smell of burnt finger tips  :O .

Thanks Martyn, a vast array of coffee stirers, bits of dowel and clothes pegs were used. Still had the smell of overly warm fingers though!

The tricky bit was equalizing the two ends that support the hand rails. The second side was easier. I did go for the complicated single etch option - Jim also includes the beading in two over-long lengths that you can trim and join in-situ.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Confession time. My back heads are glued in after painting!!!

A sensible compromise Paul. The interior will be a s0d to clean, prime and paint in-situ.

Good work Chris!

Dare I ask about the "other loco" ???

It's still on the naughty step.

• RMweb Premium

The one following the Friday when the 1366 is complete........  :O

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the O2 will be in traffic first Paul...

Which Friday?

Obviously the Friday that it's finished.

That looks like one of the Towcester mill beers.

Mike

No, I'm saving them for special occasions.

• RMweb Premium

It might be sensible to glue in the tool box as well. I guess it will be tricky to fit the footplate assembly if that is soldered in place. It will be difficult to paint the cab thoroughly as well, especially below the toolbox.

Are you going to spray paint the O2?

Yes, using Halfords finest grey primer and black paint.

Observations so far:

- heat still travels quicker in brass than NS.

- I still don't have asbestos fingers.

- Jim's instructions are the clearest I've come across.

- All the parts fit and appear appropriate to the loco I'm building.

I'm quite enjoying this kit.

No surprises there. (I don't think it's too much to expect to enjoy a kit - but so many seem to have been designed by sadists.)

Are you planning to make the roof removeable?

Chaz

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Gold

Halfords supply an etching primer. I have a can, but have not used it on brass yet, so cannot report on its effectiveness.

Coachmann recommends Acid 8 etching primer but uses cellulose paints.

• RMweb Premium

No surprises there. (I don't think it's too much to expect to enjoy a kit - but so many seem to have been designed by sadists.)

Are you planning to make the roof removeable?

Chaz

Yes Chaz, I'm planning on making the roof removable. I may use an arrangement similar to the Toad brake, not sure yet.

The sadist contingent don't appear to have brought Jim into line. It would be good if his accuracy and attention to detail would rub off on others...

Good old Jim, he even spends time to type in some tips like the BluTack.

When I built a couple of his GWR bogie bolsters, he had even etched some Railway warning signs in what could of been just scrap etch, top man.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

The cab interior had to be fitted in the end. Once the cab sides and ends were in place it was impossible to drop the interior into place. The various cab returns saw to that. So I had to unsolder the cab front sheet, fix the interior and then 're-fix the cab front sheet.

I suppose when you have built one loco then the second one is a dodle, that's looking as its going together very well.

Mike

Not necessarily so. My first was a Connoisseur J50, which went well followed by a Wallsall Models J52 which was pretty dreadful. I suspect the O2 is just a very much better kit than the Agenoria 1366 and shows it up. Yes, Chris?