Connoisseur LSWR O2 for Pencarrow

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Not necessarily so. My first was a Connoisseur J50, which went well followed by a Wallsall Models J52 which was pretty dreadful. I suspect the O2 is just a very much better kit than the Agenoria 1366 and shows it up. Yes, Chris?

Chalk and cheese so far Chaz. It shows that there's no real reason for some kits to be so bad.

Have you built more than 2 models if so how did you fair with them.

Mike

If you are asking me Mike have a look at my Dock Green topic for info.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58132-dock-green/

If you are mainly interested in etched brass locos I have built several and have a couple on the go...

I wont say more here as this is not my topic....

• RMweb Premium

Well, having had comments regarding the size of the iron I was using, I thought I'd give my original 25w Antex a go.

post-6675-0-69105700-1420394803_thumb.jpg

Not impressed. Two smallish parts to join. Brass got warm but the solder never really got to its nice fluid state.

post-6675-0-60083100-1420394934.jpg

Not a good join and it reminded me why I bought the bigger iron.

• RMweb Premium

Won't that iron stand be acting as a heat sink and cooling your tip?

I've been using a 25w Antex for the lever frame I've been soldering together and it has been up to the job (which is 0.4mm nickel silver).  My 25w has worked much better since I replaced its old tip.  That said I do have a 40w Antex and a RSU to call upon when I need them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst the big iron was cold I took the opportunity to replace the bit. This one has lasted 12 months and developed a crack over the weekend.

post-6675-0-12891800-1420396151.jpg

It opened during this afternoon's work and started smoking. Thankfully I had a spare.

Is it a coincidence that I used some Carrs yellow flux last week?

• RMweb Premium

Won't that iron stand be acting as a heat sink and cooling your tip?

I've been using a 25w Antex for the lever frame I've been soldering together and it has been up to the job (which is 0.4mm nickel silver).  My 25w has worked much better since I replaced its old tip.  That said I do have a 40w Antex and a RSU to call upon when I need them.

Tip in the 25w is almost new. The iron was held away from the stand and the job for about 15s before making a start. Should have been ok.

Returning to the big iron with fresh tip and the job was done in seconds.

• Like 1

Some progress shots...

Ends and join on the boiler.

attachicon.gifrps20150104_184709.jpg

Placed for fit.

attachicon.gifrps20150104_184831.jpg

Smokebox former placed.

attachicon.gifrps20150104_184855.jpg

Smokebox wrapper - probably needs a little more work on the fit...

attachicon.gifrps20150104_184937.jpg

This is so much nicer than the last one..

.... at least you weren't put off

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A lot less swearing that's for sure...

Looking the part Chris.

The splasher/sandboxes look fun - so there is potential for some language there.

The frets are starting to look quite empty in places.

• RMweb Premium

It sounds like you're etching to finish it.First class work Sir.How will you attach the castings out of interest.Low melt solder ?

Low melt solder Rob. I'll be replacing the chimney with a brass one from Laurie Griffen. Nothing wrong with Jim's whitemetal one but brass is more robust.

• RMweb Gold

In and out quick with a big iron is working well for you. Progress seems quite rapid. Making the model of some key assemblies can be a great help with painting especially where lining is involved.

Don

Mine's just about done.

I used a pair of Slaters hornblocks on the rear drivers, with a branchlines motor and gearbox. Also removed the spring from the rear bogie. Some extra lead in the boiler over the drivers. Like this, I think it will cope better with our club layout which has some big steps and gaps in the track.

The Slaters 5/32 bushes for the bogie are 5mm, so the ones in the kit need drilling out to accept them, unless I've got the wrong ones. According to Slaters they are going to pack the bushes with the wheels.

Altogether it was a joy to build, and the first kit I've not had to put aside while I think of a solution to a problem.

Just got to wait for some warm weather to paint it, and then work out how to line it.

Mike

post-6143-0-96698800-1420563771.jpg

• Like 10

Low melt solder Rob. I'll be replacing the chimney with a brass one from Laurie Griffen. Nothing wrong with Jim's whitemetal one but brass is more robust.

Most of my kit-built locos have white-metal chimneys and domes. I have never damaged one yet. Unless you are planning to hurl your model about (you're not - are you? :jester: ) Jim's white metal fittings should be fine. it's up to you of course and I imagine Laurie Griffin's brass fittings will be excellent. I would advise you to replace the buffers and brake hoses with brass however. 

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Below are the destructions for the stage I finished on Sunday.

post-6675-0-55608400-1420579624_thumb.jpg

And this is the last page before Jim recommends putting the body to one side to complete the chassis.

post-6675-0-44279000-1420579712_thumb.jpg

I'll be following Jim's suggestion.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Credit should also go in Jim's direction for providing annotated images of each fret. The numbers even tally with the pieces in the step by step instructions.

post-6675-0-79163600-1420580078_thumb.jpg

Makes life easy for the novice.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Don.  You need to come up with a 'cunning plan' to make the boiler / smoke box assembly fixed by a couple of screws to the running plate and cab.  The obvious places ( to me at any rate!) are underneath the smoke box to the running plate and a fixing at the rear of the fire box to the front spectacle plate, which would be hidden by the backhead.

Quite so, sub-assemblies are always useful in a big tank engine.  Theres an example on my Narrow Gauge workbench thread here:   http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35253-dlts-ng-workbench-upgrading-some-old-wagons/   towards the bottom of the first page.  The rear end of the "half-boiler" sits on supports attached to the tanks and slides into the cutout in the cab front; and is secured by a screw through the footplate into the smokebox.

I think on the O2 the boiler butts up against the cab front?  A couple of brass pins soldered to the inside of the boiler could poke through holes in the cab front to prevent the boiler lifting?  If the piano lid is fixed to the footplate the smokebox could drop in behind it, thus holding it longitudinally, and one screw to hold it down.  And Voila! one removable boiler assembly!

Not sure if I've explained that very clearly!

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quite so, sub-assemblies are always useful in a big tank engine.  Theres an example on my Narrow Gauge workbench thread here:   http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35253-dlts-ng-workbench-upgrading-some-old-wagons/   towards the bottom of the first page.  The rear end of the "half-boiler" sits on supports attached to the tanks and slides into the cutout in the cab front; and is secured by a screw through the footplate into the smokebox.

I think on the O2 the boiler butts up against the cab front?  A couple of brass pins soldered to the inside of the boiler could poke through holes in the cab front to prevent the boiler lifting?  If the piano lid is fixed to the footplate the smokebox could drop in behind it, thus holding it longitudinally, and one screw to hold it down.  And Voila! one removable boiler assembly!

Not sure if I've explained that very clearly!

Dave.

Yup, that was the sort of thing I was thinking about. The only complication is the the top of the tank fronts curve in over the boiler.

post-6675-0-77786600-1420585312_thumb.jpg

This will prevent the boiler lifting upwards so it will have to come out forwards.