Withdrawal date of GWR 70 foot van 833 diagram M13 lot 1165

Hi Steve

Info I have about this vehicle, GW coaches 1903-1948 Jim Russell, pg 61/2, plus more some courtesy John Lewis

Into stock October 1908, 9' American bogies, gas lighting, presumed brown

Bogies changed to coil sprung 9' in 1911

1917, footboards lengthened by a foot... Presume new ones fitted, believed to be painted lake at this refit

Some time between 1922 & 1925, re painted choc & cream

Electric lights 1929,

7' bogies were fitted (with blue axle boxes) by December 1930

Painted all brown April 1936, again dec 37 & July 41. No records for colour after the war

Photos in Russell not dated, looks pretty grubby brown,

Russell says "when I knew it" so presumably he saw it regularly during his work - might help your question

I have to thank you for asking the question, it poked me into getting it out of its stock box and putting the transfers on it! I need to dirty the roof a bit, white isn't reasonable. Pure conjecture but I have put blanking plates where the lamps were. You'll notice if you're eagle-eyed that the number is currently "8", I'll add the "33" when it's all dried as the methfix transfers are a bit old and unsticky.

The siphon F was a purchase from the B&B at reading last year. I'm not sure what to do about it as it sits about 2mm too high and it shows. Trouble is, most of that discrepancy is in the body itself. I can lose perhaps half a mm between bogie & body, but it'll still show I fear. Nice bit of brass tho, weighs about a kilo!

post-20369-0-96548900-1413398852_thumb.jpg

post-20369-0-29291200-1413398937_thumb.jpg

Sorry I can't help with the original question

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 4

Thanks

Although the pictures haven't shown up,

Looking at the pictures in the Russell book it looks a very grubby brown to me and the coach its next to looks to be in blood and custard although I can't say for definite.

Apparently there may be withdrawal dates in the appendix of the Russell book but I only have the first edition

Are you going to build one - I assume there isn't a kit - I did some scale drawings on the CAD, which I could let you have?

S

There was a Hayes kit - I have one in the pile somewhere. I'll try and dig it out and see if there is any additional historical information in the instructions (I wouldn't hold my breath - it would likely be cribbed from Russell anyway).

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

Steve

yours looks nice - it would be interesting to see them together!  I managed to get the Blacksmith 70 toplight kit too, got it running but lots to do to finish it - you don't need many of these to fill a windowledge!!!

I can see the photos of mine (on different computer to the one I loaded them from) - do I understand from your comment "pictures haven't shown up" that they aren't visible on your screen?

best

Simon

The Haye instructions do not have a withdrawal date. They acknowledge that it was repainted into brown (from brown and cream) in 1936 and that it went from 9' American bogies to 7' plate bogies in Sept 1929 (date probable), but that is it.

Harris (Great Western Coaches from 1890) says:

No 833 was an oddity - a 70' newspaper van with outside framing in 'Siphon' van fashion - with sliding doors and a guard's compartment. It received 7ft bogies in the late 1920s and survived into the 1940s, then going to Oxford MPD, for internal use.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

The Haye instructions do not have a withdrawal date. They acknowledge that it was repainted into brown (from brown and cream) in 1936 and that it went from 9' American bogies to 7' plate bogies in Sept 1929 (date probable), but that is it.

Harris (Great Western Coaches from 1890) says:

No 833 was an oddity - a 70' newspaper van with outside framing in 'Siphon' van fashion - with sliding doors and a guard's compartment. It received 7ft bogies in the late 1920s and survived into the 1940s, then going to Oxford MPD, for internal use.

Adrian

I have a photograph of Weymouth yard taken around 1951 - 2 and the van is visible in the background.  It appears to be in traffic as it is with other parcels vehicles but as it is a black & white photo I cannot help with the colour - the lettering is also not visible under the grime.

• 3 weeks later...

How about doing some proper research - not everything is on the web?

However I have it very good authority that the one-off M13 was condemned 5/57.  It was known to the railwaymen of the time as the 'Noah's Ark'.  In my early 1950s photo it is so grubby it is impossible to see any lettering so I 've no idea what the BR livery was.

Hope this helps.

Gerry

• 7 years later...
On 03/04/2022 at 23:04, scratcher said:

I've just acquired an M13 from a well-known auction site. Any possibility that folk could re-attach their photos to their posts, there's a few details on mine that aren't exactly right.

Images I have in my collectiom. The Hayes kit is still available from David Geen as etches only. I bought one form him a couple of weeks ago.

Mike Wiltshire

833_lr.a.jpg.17e78ae7e29ea4bd764b015e47cc2ee4.jpg833_lr.c.jpg.854d2eb0522dfacd652a70f19053ba88.jpg833lr.b.jpg.8bf30499919db26191b936c3443bac9a.jpg

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, it would appear that I got the transfers wrong :(  I wish I’d had those photos when I did it!

image.jpg.f28196e6c881f0b7a90441eab9c4348e.jpg

image.jpg.c3873ba0b477ff19cda7c343ae566f60.jpg

the lack of window bars is noticeable, and not too difficult to address.  The lack of riveted plates over the framing joints is less easy to fix.

Edited by Simond
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Are you still interested in the date?

The Hugh Longworth book has it as withdrawn in 6/1957, which with the idea that they usually worked to about a month date wise fits in with Bulwell Hall's information.

On 11/11/2014 at 08:43, Bulwell Hall said:

How about doing some proper research - not everything is on the web?

However I have it very good authority that the one-off M13 was condemned 5/57.  It was known to the railwaymen of the time as the 'Noah's Ark'.  In my early 1950s photo it is so grubby it is impossible to see any lettering so I 've no idea what the BR livery was.

Hope this helps.

Gerry

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Just purchased a kit for one of these via eBay, I hadn’t planned to but couldn’t resist….

I hadn’t done my research in advance so glad to see it lasted past 1947.  Will have to have a good look through the books once I get home, to see what prototype

images are available other than those earlier in the thread.  Certainly glad to see it should be all over brown in the 40s.  Which choc and cream looks rather nice I don’t fancy the masking over all those ribs 

• Like 1