Withdrawal date of GWR 70 foot van 833 diagram M13 lot 1165

• RMweb Gold

A question for those with the Hayes kit, did it come with a brass roof?  I am trying to work out how to fit the roof to mine but it seems to be about 1mm too narrow (and is about 8mm too long)  It was clear in the box that someone has been swapping parts around (it had a pack of American bogies rather than the 7ft plate, and a bag of cast doors from a Concertina kit) so I am guessing the original plastic roof may have been replaced with a self rolled brass one (for which they got the dimensions wrong).  I think I am right in saying no one does an extruded aluminium roof close to that continuous arc profile, I do have a Geen plastic roof in the parts box that I could try.  But before I do I wanted to see if I am missing something obvious trying to get the brass one to fit.

VOrignal kits came with vac formed roof, usually in black plastic. Using the Comet Ali roof needs careful planning at building stage. I have been able to use the Ali roof on a Dreadnought but hat to remove all top folding strength tabs and cut down bulkhead parts, all whilst still on the flat etch

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1