Chris T's photo archives

attachicon.gif690409 Exeter St Davids.jpg

Here's one for Jonny777 as a big "thank you" for all his help and assistance; Exeter St Davids on 9th April 1969.  Perhaps he's on the platform?

I'm afraid that I was not on the platform there for another 4 months, but thanks for the memories. It is amazing how a few photos can shorten 45 years to seem almost like yesterday.

• RMweb Gold

Agree entirely Chris - this is a great resource

Its the fact that they are 6 wheelers and there is a van in the middle of the train that gives it away - plus the fact that the train is running under class 3 head code, oil would be class 6 at this time. Both fully vac fitted but milks ran to generally faster timings due to perishable nature, although by the headcode these are empties heading back west

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif680828 Bruton D1018 Western Buccaneer.jpg

Continuing our journey deep into the West Country this is "Western" D1018 "Western Buccaneer" on a train of oil milk tankers at Bruton on 28th August 1968.

attachicon.gif680828 Bruton D823 Hermes and D870 Zulu.jpg

Coming in the opposite direction here's a couple of "Warships", D823 "Hermes" and D870 "Zulu"

attachicon.gif690409 Exeter St Davids.jpg

Here's one for Jonny777 as a big "thank you" for all his help and assistance; Exeter St Davids on 9th April 1969.  Perhaps he's on the platform?

attachicon.gif690409 Exeter St Davids D803 Albion.jpg

Same place, same time: "Warship" D803 "Albion"

Chris Turnbull

OMG.

He's at it again.

Can I have a warning next time please Chris, need time to get the little white tablet under my tongue, my heart can't take much more!!!!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Superb pictures, I am in the process of building a layout set 67/68 set in Norfolk.

It is a terminus called Cley on sea and is based on the assumption that the port at Cley didn't silt up and Cley became an important port

I have some pictures but can't work out how to upload them

I have a Colchester - Glasgow in a May 70 - May 71 WTT 17:12 ex Colchester as 1S38, Chippenham Junc 19:09

There used to be a train that came through Bury St Edmunds headed north during the evening rush (or as much as things ever “rushed” at Bury St Edmunds) in the mid ‘60s because for a time it was powered by Gateshead EE type 4s.  This caused great excitement amongst us trainspotters as a Gateshead loco at Bury St Edmunds was very unusual which is why it sticks in my mind.

Sadly no photographs of Gateshead type 4s but the Brush type 2 could well be hauling that train.

Chris Turnbull   

1S11 has been spotted by a friend. It passed Three Horse Shoes signalbox, between March and Peterborough during 1966 according to the train register book. I will be more precise when i get the scan.

That also answers one of my questions. I had been wondering what route it took at March.

• RMweb Gold

Chris, this is a fantastic thread with some great pictures and other information following. Back in 1966 I headed to the Far East  and when I look at the dates on the photos I always think back to where I was on those dates.

The date of August 9th, 1966 was two days after I left the UK on the P&O ship "Chitral" on my way to Hong Kong so on the 9th was probably bobbing up and down in the Bay of Biscay on the way to Gibralter.

Have you, by any chance, got any pictures of Lowestoft? My grandfather was a fitter at Lowestoft Shed with his house overlooking the run-in to Lowestoft Central Station so I have to blame him for my interest in trains.......

Looking forward to seeing some more great pictures.

Keith

On 10/11/2014 at 20:20, tetsudofan said:

Chris, this is a fantastic thread with some great pictures and other information following. Back in 1966 I headed to the Far East  and when I look at the dates on the photos I always think back to where I was on those dates.

The date of August 9th, 1966 was two days after I left the UK on the P&O ship "Chitral" on my way to Hong Kong so on the 9th was probably bobbing up and down in the Bay of Biscay on the way to Gibralter.

Have you, by any chance, got any pictures of Lowestoft? My grandfather was a fitter at Lowestoft Shed with his house overlooking the run-in to Lowestoft Central Station so I have to blame him for my interest in trains.......

Looking forward to seeing some more great pictures.

Keith

All the photos of Lowestoft that I have are recent ones.  But as a taster:

1986126290_090307Lowestoft(3)P.JPG.3da4fa76ca426a361146d33c54750a13.JPG

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 6

2112918456_690417PlymouthD1035WesternYeomanK6_34.jpg.650f85610f6bb0bebc905d2fb04e4fd1.jpg

One last step even further into the West Country: "Western" D1035 "Western Yeoman" stands at Plymouth on 17th April 2014 - and now its time to head home.

577022876_680830ReadingBluePullmanK3_36.jpg.1a0b62624b6feddbec6b1d63463afa45.jpg

A Blue Pullman hurtles through Reading on 30th August 1968... 

228576331_680830ReadingD6579K3_31.jpg.df9bc8081b6a33e2a0f70fdba8910518.jpg

...while Birmingham R.C. & W. Co. type 3 D6579 trundles in the opposite direction with a train of vans. 

893645043_690417LiverpoolStreetK6_36.jpg.6ccd7240a3f6dd21aa04843edd1fd326.jpg

Here we are safely arrived at the "Gateway to East Anglia": Liverpool Street station on 17th April 1969.  Enterprisingwestern can come off his medication now.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 18

I've found it, and it is not a mistake. In the 1966 WTT 1S11 was the 1715 Colchester to Glasgow Queen Street, which would explain the Gateshead type 4.

Its balancing working was 1E38 the 2200 Queen Street to Colchester, although this was booked through Peterborough around 0645, so it would have passed Bury before 8 a.m.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

HI Chris

In the photo of the "real" Liverpool Street the coach next to the buffet car is a diagram 72 First Open. It has no first class branding or dining car branding, the table cloths indicate it is a dining car.

In the late 70s some of the later diagram 73 FO were reclassed RSO, and then SO. These renumbered both times. I am unaware of any re-classification of diagrm 72s to RSO or SO.

Over to the coaching stock experts.....

• RMweb Premium

Ah, Mr Mortimer.  I'm glad you are with us.  I found this tonight and thought of you.  A tank wagon (tar?) made from an ex-GE loco tender chassis.  Even I know this isn't a milk tank!  Cambridge, early 1980s  

attachicon.gifTank wagon.jpg

Hi Chris

Is that a challenge? How long have I to build it?

• RMweb Gold

I bet it will be made out of plastic card!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

It seemed to live a charmed life, that strange tank wagon!  It was there until relatively recently (late 1990s?), not that it ever moved!  A couple of pictures of similar ones (DE962033 and 961881) taken at March appear in 'Odd Corners of the Eastern' by Eric Sawford.

• Like 1

Where was it parked, Steve?  I used Cambridge every day from 1996 - 99 (and a fair bit before that) and I don't ever recall seeing it.

Those cement tanks which were there for years, on the other hand... I know they've gone now but they witnessed my entire career working for the University.