Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

One other livery question related to this release . 5801 is listed as being in "unlined BR green with GWR lettering" . The more I think about this the more confused I become......I thought BR Green and GWR Green (of that period) were almost identical but in any event how could a loco be repainted in BR Green and then have GWR lettering applied............unless I suppose it is in preservation.....which wouldnt suit me.

Suprisingly, this is pretty much correct. 5801 lasted in GWR livery to the late 50s out on the wilds of the Cambrian coast line. By this point it had been fitted with a BR smokebox plate so the description could be considered correct (if confusing).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/abermaw/13383709623/

8391985438_fea57ef8d3_b.jpg

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 15

Suprisingly, this is pretty much correct. 5801 lasted in GWR livery to the late 50s out on the wilds of the Cambrian coast line. By this point it had been fitted with a BR smokebox plate so the description could be considered correct (if confusing).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/abermaw/13383709623/

8391985438_fea57ef8d3_b.jpg

Fantastic picture, thanks for posting.

I think that this captures the essence of what makes these little tank engines so enchanting.

• Like 2

I do think the 14XX Class is one of Collett's finest creations in that it looks the part and performed well in the role it was required to play.  In many ways it is a safe bet for Hattons/DJM in that with houses getting smaller the classic GWR branch line will continue to be modeled for the foreseeable future.  The key will be in the design of the three axles and the pickup.  Like others I am not sure about the choice of numbers and liveries (should my Airfix/Comet not work out) but there are lots of opportunities out there to re-number an engine to suit the era and location.

I thought the loco in Titfield Thunderbolt was in wartime black with GWR insignia patched over. 

Hi everyone,

Thought you'd like this..... Taken at twilight with the camera leaning on top of a milk churn, with a long exposure

Last train of the day out of Alresford during their GWR gala of a few weeks ago.

Hope you like?

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-39882200-1417006269_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Oh my, what a surprise......

Llantrisant locos to boot. What's more, no bl**dy topfeed....

Looks like the Cowbridge Branch/Common Branch Junction is a goer, at last.

No Bl**dy topfeed.....

Made my day.

Well done Dave & Hattons, well done...

Regards,

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sods law isn't it! I want a 14xx in GWR plain green without top feed - (and, ideally, with a GLOS shed code). Still, mustn't grumble too much, things are definitely on the up. :-)

Was looking for a BR unlined black 14 without top feed to do 1419, a Fowey branch regular. I'll wait to see if there are any changes in the line-up before placing an order. Never satisfied are we! :)

Just a useful bit of info for any fans of unusual livery/branding combos. 1417 seems to have worn the same combination of lined black and "BRITISH RAILWAYS" branding as 5816. To make it even better, both had no top-feed. If you can sort out the auto-gear, it should be a straight renumbering job to get 1417.

http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/monorail/kg01_htm_files/137.jpg

Hello Dave

Just wondering, will the body be available separately, as a 'spare'? so it could go on a P4 High Level chassis?

Hi mate,

All parts should be available at the loco launch.

However, more than likely they will be unpainted items.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Why oh why are you doing the 14xx yet again, why not the more common 517 which had a longer life and lots of variations.  True they did not run into BR, but they did run late in GWR.  But with the various rebuilds it would be a best selling and long lasting model.

You could even include the only GWR Named Tank Engine ' Fair Rosamund'.

Loconuts

Why oh why are you doing the 14xx yet again, why not the more common 517 which had a longer life and lots of variations.  True they did not run into BR, but they did run late in GWR.  But with the various rebuilds it would be a best selling and long lasting model.

Loconuts

I'm not 'doing a 14xx again', in fact I'm doing it for the first time.

I certainly can't help the fact it's been made before either.

However you seem to be under the impression that it's my model. I'm afraid I'm just the manufacturer.

The commissioning company is one who has for a good many years traded model railway equipment very successfully, and I would venture to suggest know a darn sight more about what they think they can sell than either you or I.

Please feel free to contact them directly with the same question and I look forward to you posting their reply here.

Dave

• Like 2

This, along with the announcement of Bachmann's 64xx, is one of the few things that has made me question if selling my 00 BR (WR) BLT and moving up to 0 gauge was the right choice.

I didn't even bother buying one of the Hornby autotanks for it, they look good for a model of their age but don't stand up too well against the Bachmann 45xx/ 4575 and 57xx in the appearance stakes- and fall down further when it comes to running (from previous experience!)- I bought another pannier instead. A couple of DJ/ Hattons ones would certainly have made an appearance though...

Fortunately my decision to go 7mm was the right thing to do- the Hunslet Austerity is one of my favourite classes, I'm very much looking forward to the DJ Models one ;)

Edited by brianthesnail96

• RMweb Gold

Loconuts

The current 14xx, from Hornby, is basically the Aifix model from 1978, and is therefore 36 years old. I think its about time we had a new one.

• RMweb Premium

The current 14xx, from Hornby, is basically the Aifix model from 1978, and is therefore 36 years old. I think its about time we had a new one.

Agreed. The Hornby/Airfix version is not even on the radar but I *will* be having a Hattons 14.

I wish I could build one myself but I have neither the time nor the eyesight!

I'm not 'doing a 14xx again', in fact I'm doing it for the first time.

I certainly can't help the fact it's been made before either.

However you seem to be under the impression that it's my model. I'm afraid I'm just the manufacturer.

The commissioning company is one who has for a good many years traded model railway equipment very successfully, and I would venture to suggest know a darn sight more about what they think they can sell than either you or I.

Please feel free to contact them directly with the same question and I look forward to you posting their reply here.

Dave

I know what their reply will be, whats a 517?  the fact that the 14xx was just a modernised 517 people seem to over look it.

It is funny that the Airfix model came out in 1978 as that was the year I was commissioned to build a 7mm scale 517 (Fair Rosamund in 1920's condition) for Mike Little, the present owner of 1450.  Scratch built right down to the cab fittings.

I was also commissioned by several customers to build the successful Malcolm Mitchell 7mm scale kit of the 517 when it appeared so that might answer your question on whether it will sell.  To be honest small GWR Locos sell well, look at the Wills Small Metro and the various Pannier Tank kits that have been produced over the years.  The Wills Small Metro sold like hot cakes when it first came out and you were lucky to get your hands on one.

I know this is a commission for you on behalf of Hattons but the RTR trade just seem to be regenerating the same models, is that because they are preserved and can be scanned and less research needs to be done on the prototype?

As for producing well selling models of locos that lasted into BR days, you have been commissioned to do the GWR Steam Railmotor, long gone before WWII but it will sell well as it is ideal for small branch lines, I have built 4 on commission in 7mm scale.

Sorry for being controversial, but just wanted to point out there is a wealth of other locos waiting to be modelled out there.

Loconuts