Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

And here's me thinking one of these could still be seen trundling up and down the Chacewater branch to Newquay in  the early 1940s..., I'm sure I've seen a photo, somewhere...

And Machynlleth falsified it's paperwork and never returned one of the steam rail motor's originally allocated to the Mid wales division to Swindon. They kept it well hidden, but in the war years it was used again on the Cambrian Coastline. Or so I was told by a now sadly deceased eyewitness....

Edited by Trains&armour
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Though I guess the real question is now the Hattons/DJM are bringing out the 14xx, will Kernow/DJM  bring out a matching autocoach ???

That was part of my thinking behind my earlier post asking about one. Reason 1 - a trailer for the railmotor; reason 2 the same nice Churchward autotrailer would go with the 48xx also being released. Beats using the ancient Airfix mishmash or a Hawksworth one that is only suitable for post WWII modellers.

• Like 1

In this month's Railway Magazine there is an article on the Highland railway's tribulations during World War 1.

The Highland had Great Western steam railcar no.45 on hire from January 1818 to March 1924.  It was used for shuttling Admiralty personnel between Dingwall and Invergordon.

The other locos that surprised me were as follows-  Anti-submarine mines were imported from North America at Kyle of Lochalsh.   They were taken in 11-wagon trains to Dingwall, where the train reversed, then on to Alness where the train reversed again and to the US Navy sidings at Dalmore.  Here they were assembled and taken by sea to Scapa Flow.  What where used to haul these trains?  Four loaned LSWR Adams Radial 4-4-2 tanks!

Perhaps rule 1 needn't always stretch as far as we think......

All the very best

Les

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose drop in replacement em wheelsets being included in the price is too much to hope for.

drduncan

I don't mind if the EM wheelsets aren't included, but designing in easy conversion to EM, and P4, would be much appreciated, and would seriously tempt me to order one!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Les1952, on 02 Dec 2014 - 23:22, said:

The Highland had Great Western steam railcar no.45 on hire from January 1818 to March 1924. 

Perhaps rule 1 needn't always stretch as far as we think......

Frankly, I think that is quite a stretch!

Dave,

Will there be spare parts available for this model. I'm busy saving my pennies to order one but I would also like to get hold of a spare power unit or two for a conversion I hope to make (see my post in the GWR thread) and to scratch build one of the early match board sided motors.

Dave 

Dave,

Will there be spare parts available for this model. I'm busy saving my pennies to order one but I would also like to get hold of a spare power unit or two for a conversion I hope to make (see my post in the GWR thread) and to scratch build one of the early match board sided motors.

Dave 

Hi Dave,

spare parts (100% of the model) will be available at launch, and this carries on to all special commissions and my own range.

cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Hi Dave,

spare parts (100% of the model) will be available at launch, and this carries on to all special commissions and my own range.

cheers

Dave

G'day Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply to my question. I'm trying to find the necessary money to order some of the products you have announced or been commissioned to produce. I've sat around for the last few years lamenting the fact that there is so little in the way of GWR models to buy which take my fancy and suddenly you come on the scene with the railmotor, 48xx/58xx, 1361 and the King. The last mentioned is probably the only one I can't justify at the moment for my collection.

Best of luck with getting everything up and running.

Dave

p.s. A nice, modern standards, Dean Goods would have me swooning with delight!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

G'day Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply to my question. I'm trying to find the necessary money to order some of the products you have announced or been commissioned to produce. I've sat around for the last few years lamenting the fact that there is so little in the way of GWR models to buy which take my fancy and suddenly you come on the scene with the railmotor, 48xx/58xx, 1361 and the King. The last mentioned is probably the only one I can't justify at the moment for my collection.

Best of luck with getting everything up and running.

Dave

p.s. A nice, modern standards, Dean Goods would have me swooning with delight!

Or, how about a nice outside framed Armstrong Standard Goods? Or, a Stella?

Ian

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

cheers

Dave

This is good news, how do we go about ordering a power bogie? - through DJM or kernow? I am scratch building a GCR railmotor , but the power bogie is defeating me.

Many thanks

Richard

• 6 months later...

It's not the money at all, I'm just eager to find out when I can get my hands on it :)

Spoke to Kernow on Monday and they told me it's going to be between 1-2 years ! I might get my Mallard kit chassis built by then !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of the day, the final result is certainly going to be worth it no matter how long it takes. Personally I'd rather they take their time and bring out a fine looking model. From past experience I rather people take their time...

I cannot remember if I've asked this question before, but are there thoughts to doing the accompanying Autotrailers at all?

Ahh... 603.I remember being given a guided tour of her when I was doing work experience back in '94. In those days there was a group working on restoring her and she was in taxiable condition with at least 2 engines working. One of the guys showing me round said one time he'd been repainting the bomb bay when a colleague working in the cockpit pulled the wrong lever by mistake....

So it's sad to see her in such a neglected state now (though I gather plans are under way to clean her up and put her under cover). And of course she has been cannibalised to keep 558 going (sometimes I wonder what would have happened if VTTS had picked her instead as her airframe hours would have been much lower).

All of which has nothing to do with steam railmotors....

• 6 months later...

I would imagine that Kernow needs the profits from one or two completed projects to fund the next. One Bulleid diesel is on order and has been since the fall of the Roman Empire in the west. I’d like to see who is producing it and what sort of track record he/she/it has before ordering the other two.

Hornby or Bachmann will probably release one before Kernow get theirs out.

At this point we can hope that some entity is still trading under the Hornby logo at Christmas time. I expect to see the Kernow/DJM LSWR gate stock long before the Bachmann SECR birdcage stock.

So long as people in Cornwall (and other parts) keep purchasing model railway items, we'll see the railmotor in good time.