Rudy's Model Railway: a Folded Dogbone, HO, 3x3m

RudyB

Six trains running around under Traincontroller

Today a lil video was created that show six trains running around on the layout under control of Traincontroller.

A few lil 'tricks' have been used to get a smooth brake behaviour, whereby trains already slow down one block ahead, bot for schedules stops as for an anticipated red signal. Trains that have no scheduled stop or have green signals maintain their high speed.

Link to the video on de blog

PS: Please notice the wonderful piece of 'scenery' in the upper left corner! :)

24093516gm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tail-, Cabin- and Flash Lights for the NS2433 Loco

Past December I purchased a Roco NS 2433 cargo loc and an ESU Lokpilot Standard at the monthly model railroad trade show in Houten (NL), for the combined price of €95,-.

The loc had only 2 white headlights ... hence the project started to build in some more lights. I wanted to add red tail lights, cabin light and I liked the two blue flashlights on top to be working.

More details on how this was done and a video that shows the result is available on the blog via this link.

24286116ej.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Arduino DCC RGB LED Strip control with 6 PWM outputs.

The RGB LED strip that is mounted above my layout (see this post) can be controlled via the remote. I thought it would also be nice when it can be controlled via the Traincontroller PC user interface, or via the command station.

The Arduino came to the rescue. It has 6 PWM outputs via which we can control the LED strips using nMOSFET's to switch the 12V power.

With those 6 PWM outputs we can control either:

- 2 RGB LED strips

- 1 RGB and 3 one-color strips

- 6 one-color strips

Often a combination of a RGB strip with a (warm) white strip is used, this can perfectly be controlled with one Arduino.

The Arduino RGB_LED_Control software is available as a free download. It is included in the Arduino DCC / S88 software package which can be found on the blog Download page.

The software offers 3 modes of operation:

- Individual channel control. The intensity of each of the 6 channels can independently be increased or decreased.

- Selection of a preset. A preset is combination of 6 PWM outputs (0-255), a transition time (max 64 s) to gradually fade to the new preset color and a hold time (max 255 s) for use with the sequencer.

- Sequencer. Of the sequencer is switched on, it steps through the presets, using the per preset configured transition time and the hold times.

The software offers 3 options for control:

- The PC keyboard (via the Arduino Serial Interface)
- Digital inputs (connected e.g. to push buttons)
- DCC commands

A User Manual is included in the download. It explains the hardware needed and how to configure and to operate the software.

Link to the blog with a video and the software download.

24379362ui.jpg

• 2 months later...

A DCC hand held throttle for €6,-

Thanks to the on board Ethernet of an ECoS it is possible to use iPhone or an Android phone as a handheld throttle. Always nice for precision shunting work. However ... most people prefer to have a physical knob on their remote throttle.

This was recognized by ESu / Piko, they launched their 'Mobile Control'. A nice throttle with lots of functionality. But it sets you back some 300,-.

There's also the well known Roco / Fleischmann 'Multimaus'. It has a wire, and needs to be connected to the ECoS via the DCC sniffer input.

This DCC sniffer input put a thought in my mind ... would it be possible to use an Arduino to create a hand held throttle? The answer is ... yes it is. The result is a fully functional remote throttle for the price of €6,-.

More info and a video is available on the blog.

25172385cp.jpg

Archived