Hornby 2015 Announcements now made

Andy Y

Great stuff Hornby!

Particularly pleased about the S15, especially as it is supposed to be a summer release. I find the confusion around the Adams' release date a bit strange, as it appears to be the furthest along of the four steam engines.

The WWII train packs look pretty good, and its great to see the Silver and blue A4s in the normal range.

There appears to be a stronger partition between Railroad and the normal range, which is a huge relief.

A very ambitious and exciting range of brand new products. I'm a little disappointed by the re liveries available, particularly with several older toolings resurfacing, whilst the likes of the 8F and Q1 stay hidden.

The graffitied Mk1 is a bit of a strange one...

The Pullmans are a bit of a curveball! Not an unwelcome one, but its making me wonder whether the 12 wheelers will ever resurface?

The Dapol LMS non-corridors are lavatory coaches to period 2, XF2. These are ordinary period 3 non-corridor (sometimes called 'Suburban' stock). 

Where's the re-issued Stanier 2-6-4T loco for haulage though? I would have thought that was a no-brainer!

What QC issues with the Great Goodbye sets did you encounter?

I had all sorts of issues from missing detail, broken parts and squint application of the LNER lettering on the tender!   One was so bad it was 5 mm lower at the 'R' that it was a the 'L'!   Would seem an easy thing to get right in this day and age!

Dave,

Off the top of my head:

Tender corridor spectacle plate fitted inside out.

Cabside/tender lettering not lining up.

Circular lettering around access hole for "cods mouth" opening mechanism present on the left hand side only.

Front bufferbeam numbers placed too high and actually being astride the coupling hook.

Smokebox numberplates and top lamp iron placed too high on the BR liveried models - they should have been fixed lower than the pre war locos.

Smokebox numberplates on a couple looking like they'd been cut out by hand as the top edge had a distinctive gradient to it.

I expected much better for premium priced locos, especially considering Hornby were capable of avoiding these issues with previous editions.

Of course some of the usual condescending know it alls on here will say that these faults can be solved with "modelling", however if I wanted to do that I'd have just bought 6 A4s off Ebay and converted/renamed/renumbered them myself, but I chose (like many others) to pay a premium for models from a long standing and respected manufacturer where the work should have been done by them.

The only model I'll almost certainly get is the Adams Radial in LSWR livery (unless I go for the Oxford model).

In the 'it would be nice to have' category are Castle 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, Thompson B1 no. 61310 in Apple Green (which is a website & concessions exclusive), some Gresley & Thompson suburban coaches and some of the new Pullmans.

I seldom comment on these things but the new Platform Signal Box bears more than a passing resemblance to that at Weybourne on the North Norfolk Railway.

And my eye was caught by that intriguing-looking halt building. Is that a Mid-Suffolk design?

Paul

Pleased to see a couple of EWS options for the Class 67 as I don't have one of these yet, plus long been wanting a NR yellow Class 31!

Although I notice that only 67016 is available to pre-order on the Hornby website?

Confess I was hoping for a couple of Class 60's (especially a "standard" DB Schenker Red one!) but as a D&E modeller I am quite pleased and Hornby's stated commitment at the start of the thread is very positive, if the manage to deliver on it. 

There are the Network Rail NMT power cars listed for pre-order on the Hornby site today, but no coaches to go with them?

And nothing in N....

Gotta say it - "Nothing in it for me"

Sorry.

Did you read this part of the announcement? It's under the last building on the list.

"In response to a specific question about the possibility of extensions to Hornby's N gauge range I have been advised that there may be a separate announcement at a future point; my guess would be that could happen during January."

A few items for me there! :)

The S15 is very welcome and if it's half as good as the N15 we're onto a winner.

The BB sentinel shunter is interesting too, will look good in my engineering yard I think.

Not sure about the Adams Radial, it's relevant to East Kent so a good excuse for me to buy one. However not sure whether to buy Hornby's or Oxford's.

Knowing it will be at the risk of many disagrees, I like the Mark 1 coach and its graffitti - on the basis that I model what I see/saw not how I would like it to be/have been. Each to their own?

On the other hand, the graffiti on the HAA was the wrong choice IMHO. It is too much of a "one off"?

I presume the B/G VEP counts as 2014, arriving, we now think, on 22 Dec!

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone clarify the livery of R3327, the S15 in "SR livery"? The actual colour isn't mentioned here nor on Hornby's website (they both say SR livery) but Graham Muz's site says olive green, while Pat Hammond on MREMag says black.

Peter

Peter

I had it confirmed to me by one of the Hornby Design team on Monday morning that the SR livery version will be Olive Green.

• RMweb Gold

There are the Network Rail NMT power cars listed for pre-order on the Hornby site today, but no coaches to go with them?

I made a lucky guess on the Flying Banana on the pre-annoucement thread, so have smug face on! And they've been re-tooled from the photos as only one car has buffers now.

The lack of coaches is an odd omission, I'd have thought the previously released coaches could be re-released to bolster sales. The latest pair of Mk3's remain available, but surely there are sales/profit in enabling a larger mutli-car set?

The EWS 67's are a good addition to as it is a great model.

An awful lot of new stuff, but what have retailers been told as there seems to be no mention of them. Can we pre-order through them or only via Hornby website?

• RMweb Premium

Interesting locos and coaches. I wonder if traction tyres for 4-4-0s and 0-6-0s have been done away with? D16/3s are particularly interesting.

As for the 2-HALs, I wonder what possessed Hornby to design incorrectly sized inside coupling sockets, not to mention design clever lack of lighting (that includes the route indicator, which existed for my 1950's 2-SUB!). There is a certain lack of logic of putting lighting in coaches and leaving it out of quality EMUs. Also missing from these EMUs is the power cable located just below roof height, which if fitted could have supplied conductivity for internal lighting.

Grouse over, I wish them well.

Firstly the blue grey BG is no use for Mk2e coaches as it is not a bog standard one (cant Hornby fit correct B4 bogies?).

I'd rather have a blue grey Mk1 tso, bsk and sk than this silly graffiti coach. There are decals for that and anyway "tagging" was not a 1960 thing as far as I remember. Not so affluent then to buy all that spray paint? Now broken windows and missing seats that would be more realistic. Wrecked footex in siding if you have the space.

Plain blue class 50 (D400) please.

J50 is great for those cross-London freights and has regional spread (and i want one), but I'm a little surprised the more branch-friendly (and passenger-friendly) J67/9 wasn't chosen. And they'll do a loco that was mostly (one exception?) always black but oddly still haven't bothered with a black 08. 

But my qualified delight is more than outshon by those Sentinels... :sungum:

The J50 will never seem the same without the K's driver leaning from the cab (for those with long memories).

I'm guessing that the J50 fits a standard Hornby 0-6-0 chassis, whereas a J67/J69 would require a completely new development.

Archived