Hornby 2015 Announcements now made

Andy Y

I had been struggling to think of what Hornby might do even despite Andy's hints that there were a lot of new products in the announcements.

He certainly didn't lead us astray with that hint.

It's really nice to see Hornby sharing CAD images. We pushed them pretty hard on this and they are responding. It's also nice to see extensive use of 3D printing to build pre-tooling prototypes and share these with us for us to examine. (I know we saw this already with the Radial tank, but there are others here, and to see a J50 and S15 in three dimensions at the announcement is impressive.) Hornby is demonstrating themselves as being a market leader (many others will no doubt do the same thing too soon). Kudos to them for being innovative and responsive.

The S15 is a natural choice. The J50 was a natural choice too, but I didn't think we'd see another LNER 0-6-0 until the J15 was in production, so colour me surprised. I did expect a new Eurostar livery. I thought they might take the opportunity to do the new equipment, but it's not surprising to see them update the old stock.

There's a lot in this announcement. People had complained about the lack of mk3 coaches to even build partial HST sets. Hornby is positively responding to criticism there.

I will happily pick up the GWR Clerestory coaches. I know that they have issues, but assuming they will be nicely painted, they won't go astray behind last year's Star. (They can all have issues together.)

EDIT: I don't want to end this on what some might see as negatively. There's a lot in this year's Hornby announcements for a lot of people and it's really nice to see *any* GWR coaches (and a Toad!) in the range, so thanks Hornby.

It would appear that the re-vitalised big GW tanks have been quietly dropped...

Re-issues of the eight-coupled tanks were announced for 2013. They have not yet arrived. I don't think there was ever a plan to totally re-do them, but I think I remember people making the observation that separate smoke darts were to be fitted on the 2013 versions.

Looking good! BR Hoppers, Fish Vans and Horse boxes on my list together with the BR Parcels fleet.

Hoping the 'hard copy' Catalogue doesn't disappoint - Hornby wouldn't commit when asked if it was going to be a 60th Anniversay Special which, IMHO, it ought to be.

Well done Hornby.

Something for everyone...........

Well, maybe not quite, but certainly a lot for me.

Consider,  

- S15,

- 700s,

- more R4 coaches,

- and in the fullness of time the first of a serious choice of some Radial Tanks.

I could witter on ad infinitum about what there isn't, and readers will be grateful that I have not done so.

Happy Christmas to all and each,

PB

The only model I'll almost certainly get is the Adams Radial in LSWR livery (unless I go for the Oxford model).

In the 'it would be nice to have' category are Castle 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, Thompson B1 no. 61310 in Apple Green (which is a website & concessions exclusive), some Gresley & Thompson suburban coaches and some of the new Pullmans.

Where is the info on the B1 please ??

How pleasant it is to read this thread with generally positive, and certainly pragmatic comments about the announcement, after the bashing and bitching that has sadly become the norm on other Hornby-related subjects.

Unsurprisingly, an S15 (or perhaps more…if availability permits) is top of my list. As for the 0415 - I'll believe it when I see it but live in hope.

Odd, however, that Hornby head their own web site announcement with 'available now'.  Hmmmm !!!

(Edited the bit about the Adams radial).

Looking forward to the J50 and LMS non-corridors, both of which are ideal for my layout and period. I only hope I can buy them at my local model shop and not by having to order them exclusively from Hornby's website! Otherwise, well done Hornby! A sensible selection with a lot of appeal for most modellers!

Regards

Bill

The blue 2Hal is what I need, but hopefully will have time to save up before it gets released. Hopefully the release of the rodded Sentinel will mean they will be available as spares, as I would rather modify model I have. It will probably also be popular for narrow gauge conversion.

Its a pity Hornby see fit to re-release their 'painted' clerestory coaches, and instead of the LMS suburbans(I expect many might actuall buy the Dapol/Airfix ones unless they are that particular), maybe some pre-grooping coaches, starting with LSWR ones in LSWR livery. Would be a good partner for the M7 and the new Radial tank.

Looks like Oxford might have the steel on Hornby if Hornby are not getting their radial tank out till 2016. Oxford have already promised it for mid 2015, and they are ususually good on the promises.

For those who grumble about high prices, well Hornby have to pay for all that over design on the new models that some seem to want, when I would be happy with slightly less detail, good quality running, and a lower price. Those Railroad 4 wheel coaches are subsidising some of those new models, which would be even more expensive if they did not. Heard that from the horse's mouth a few years ago when I was running a model shop.

The responses to the graffiti coach are interesting.

Personally I prefer to purchase pristine coaches, but that's just me. For those that like to weather stock to make it look exactly like it does on the real railways, graffiti is essential - at least for a lot of the tattooed freight stock I see in North America.

Having said that the style of this graffiti looks very modern. I'd have thought for the likely era of operation for a maroon Mk1, the graffiti would have been more of the "Clapton is God" style than current tagging. Nevertheless for a 'surplus to requirements' coach on a poorly secured siding, this coach looks good.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like Oxford might have the steel on Hornby if Hornby are not getting their radial tank out till 2016. Oxford have already promised it for mid 2015, and they are ususually good on the promises.

Hi Simon

There was indeed some confusion about the Hornby radial release date, even at the media briefing,  but I have subsequently been advised by there team that the aim is to have available before the end of 2015 rather than 2016 as you state.  

Also Oxfrod Rail have not to my knowledge have yet confirmed their intended release date as there own website currently states "Pre-production components will be available in Quarter 1 2015 (Q1) We will be giving more information to retailers during the trade shows in early 2015."

• RMweb Gold

It is correct for as currently preserved at Tyseley.

So I now understand - I think the problem actually therefore lies not with the model but the description as it is 'as preserved livery' rather than 'early livery'.  But to get all that right - as at least two of us on here  seemingly didn't - means a bit of careful thought about titling (I don't know how they describe it on their website as I can't find the new announcements there :O )

Biggest surprise......Re-releasing the 4F as a main range model at around £100.00 when it is clearly now a Railroad toy from the dark ages. 

S15...A no-brainer...... Good shout.

King..... I assumed this was going to be the ultimate. Hornby's LNER Pacifics and K1 have the correct and very characteristic 'flat and large' wheel centres. Driving wheels on a 'King' had bosses that stuck out some way from the spokes, all down to a more generous loading gauge than the other Big Four companies. If Hornby doesn't do it, the competition might!

I will admit to getting interested in this release in LMS livery, with some sort of hope this was to be done with new tooling. Has it been confirmed that this is just a reissue of the old one? Oh well!

interested in the S15, always planned to build one but luckily never invested. I posted info on the other thread this morning about the LMS suburbans before this announcement, as the January Model Rail had clearer photos of them, however the photos that Andy has posted are even better. These show that Hornby has changed its strategy regarding added detail on coaches and have recognised that some detail is better added as seperate components rather than moulded on. For the suburbans, all of the end handrails for crew access to the drawgear and roof are seperate wire fittings it appears, also the roof vents appear to be seperate as they are differently coloured on the samples, whereas the passenger door furniture is moulded with the coach body tool. This is a welcome improvement and I suspect recognises that changes were needed to the 'limited added detail' strategy of the last couple of years. Very pleased with the coaches proposed.

I'd be much more forgiving on that score if the 4F was to appear in a S&DJR livery. In the same vein I was surprised to see the Fowler 2P in S&DJR with running number 44. I haven't checked but it feels like they have done that number before. I'm presuming this is the tender-drive version with traction tyres?

The 2P photo does seem to show a tender drive model but I'm sure that Hornby will reproduce the loco drive versions which were available for a short time around 2011 (R3028/9) . The SDJR version was no 45.

Archived