Heljan class 17

M. Jones

I must admit that I, like many others, am getting more than a little fed up with having to look at my collection of Class 17's and Class 47's languishing in the scrap road on my layout. There is, however, one thing I am looking forward to and that is "visiting" the Heljan Stand A10 at the NEC 21/22 November and talking to them face to face - maybe I won't be the only one there that weekend looking for some answers.

Guest Max Stafford

If they've posted a 'show and tell' mind you, it does suggest that the chassis are imminent, so perhaps by Warley things will be on the mend, so don't be too rough on them. In fairness, a lot of the problems were down to the contractors. Being remote from the manufacturing base, I suspect they weren't themselves being made aware of problems during the initial production.

Thanks for the offer Carnforth, I might well take you up on it. :)

Dave.

Re summer saturday's reference to the Heljan class 17 video at http://www.Heljan.dk...d&artikelid=248 I noticed that the demonstrator wiped a small screwdriver across the end of a pritt stick to make it sticky enough to pick up small components and hold them in position. Also having a foam rubber cradle to put small parts on without them rolling away... I'll have to try this (what makes me think I need to? :rolleyes:)

Also, Rails of Sheffield still have the Ribble Cement version for ??59 but it still sounds a risky purchase and I'd have to repaint it green...

Anyone built the "Judith Edge" class 17 kit?

cheers, Bill

The following e-mail has been received from Heljan:

Dear Heljan retailer

Clayton class 17 replacement chassis's

We thank you for your patience and understanding and are pleased to advise that these have now been received here in Denmark. We are busy testing them prior to despatch later this week and all trade customers who requested replacement chassis's will be sent their allocation; there is no need to return the faulty chassis's to us. We will require 'proof of purchase' from your customers to complete our claim with the manufacturer and would ask that these be posted back to us when you have completed the chassis distribution.

There is an informative video on our website ( http://Heljan.dk/faste_filer/modul.asp?vis=nyhedmod&fModul=web588.asp&mode=laesnyhed&artikelid=248 ) showing how the chassis is replaced on the class 17. We will also be distributing a instruction sheet with the chassis's.

Does anyone know what the very latest is with these. I really do want a BR green version.

I have received an e-mail from Rails of Sheffield today saying that the next batch of Class 17s are on their way, together with some Hymeks and the Colas 47s. The BR green versions (with small yellow panels) are Heljan codes 1707 (D8612) and 1709 (D8500). D8500 is cheaper than D8612 (??88.50 and ??82.50), but I don't know why; no indication that one is weathered.

Although announced as 2 separate batches, all reference numbers from 1700 to 1706 inclusive arrived at the same time, give or take a few weeks.

Therefore all of these are potentially affect by the motor problem.

Claytons with reference numbers 1707 onwards, which are due for imminent delivery should have the corrected chassis fitted to them [Please let this be the caseunsure.gif ]

I am awaiting replacement chassis for 3 Claytons,which i understand are due soon

I have 3 slow runners but up to press they are all of the non smoke variety.

I spoke to Howes the otherday and they say the replacement chassis are due verysoon.

So amlooking forward to seeing the real potential of the locos

I am awaiting replacement chassis for 3 Claytons,which i understand are due soon

I have 3 slow runners but up to press they are all of the non smoke variety.

I spoke to Howes the otherday and they say the replacement chassis are due verysoon.

So amlooking forward to seeing the real potential of the locos

Regarding the speed of the Clayton, like one or two others here I re-motored my Clayton [using a Mashima 1626 motor]. I now have a loco that runs and pulls well, but appears no faster than it was with the original motor [which is fine by me!].

The motor runs nice and cool, but I did check out the gearboxes as a precaution, Mine seemed fine as regards input shaft end float, but I did ream out the free end bush as there appeared to be a little misalignement, though I don't think it was really required.

Jerry

I have received an e-mail from Rails of Sheffield today saying that the next batch of Class 17s are on their way, together with some Hymeks and the Colas 47s. The BR green versions (with small yellow panels) are Heljan codes 1707 (D8612) and 1709 (D8500). D8500 is cheaper than D8612 (??88.50 and ??82.50), but I don't know why; no indication that one is weathered.

Curiously, the Hattons website has a similar difference, ??84 for 1709/10 and ??89 for 1707/8.

Guest Max Stafford

Yeah, what's the big joke about it? Do you only 'get it' if you're one of 'the illuminati' or something? <_<

Just because they were kitted out with a 'Friday' gearbox and motor, doesn't mean the rest of the body was bad.

Go on, put your money where your mouth is and tell us what the punchline is.

The false floor in the cab doesn't qualify - we've heard that old chestnut...

Dave.

The JE kit built well gives a 'finer' and slightly better proportioned Clayton, some of HJ's cab dimensions are incorrect if I recall.

It's like many of these stories that get put about- wrong rivets, too small, too big, whatever - no one ever puts any figures round it, any meat on the bone as it were...... The one about the height? of the HJ Clayton came out within the first week of release, and to date no ones put any figures to the difference. Could it be the kit Clayton's are wrong? Who knows without any supporting info? I'm certainly not out to look up or source the appropriate drawings as to be honest (like many of the purchasers) apart from the drive problems it looks better than any Clayton I'd seen modelled previously. In comparative price terms, the HJ - even at full price, are clearly streets ahead. Of course there is room for improvement, but I'd have to say, to me that fact doesn't detract greatly from what HJ produced.

Doesn't make HJ's effort a joke by any means, perhaps an enterprising individual will show us their JE version, though in the way these types of comments have gone in the past, we'll be waiting for quite a while.

Anyone remember the ' better than the NRM Deltic Kitmaster conversion'? ... Still waiting to see it two years on .... blink.gif

Some people are never happier than when they are decrying the latest release. Having returned to modelling a few years back now after an extended absence thanks to BR and the 12" to the foot version, I've been increasingly disappointed by the queue that forms to be the first to pronounce the "next-best-thing" from the manufacturers as a dud, or to spot the latest "oops" as if all the other modellers will be suitably impressed by their wealth of knowledge and prowess. As you say PMP, if there version is that much better and streets ahead of the RTR manufacturers, and yet costs the same price, then lets see it then - Get it out on the table :D

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Well, as I've often publicly stated before, I really don't care about sub-milimetre perfection as long as the overall effect is credible. That most certainly is the case with Heljan's creation and it will be sufficient for my needs.

I would still be very impressed by an expertly constructed JE kit though. I will be having a go at their wee NBL and Barclay shunters in due course. Oh, those compound curves are troubling...! :unsure:

Dave.

Yup - I agree with the above - once uninstalled the old chassis is going to get some treatment to see if it becomes satisfactory - if so, then it's got a future life powering a DC Kits Class 74 that I'm about to build.

Ah - that's what Dapol will be doing as their first dabble into "proper" (not AC) ;) ) electric locos just after I've finished it. :D

I just need to report on the high quality of service from KERNOW models regarding this issue. Bought a Clayton from them in April 09 (defective chassis) - e-mailed them last week about it - new chassis by return the day after - brilliant !! :icon_thumbsup2:

After stripping the old chassis literaly to its component parts last night and doing the brass bush trimming / opening out exercise, it runs quite nicely. So it's going under the DC kits Class 74 - the length & wheelbase is just right - very lucky :icon_e_biggrin:

So if you have a defective Clayton chassis and haven't cooked the motor - it's well worth doing the repairs to produce aworkable chassis.

Now what am I going to do with this spare black beetle ???