Heljan class 17

M. Jones

I believe I was lucky with my D8568 purchased from Signal Box on pre-order when it first arrived. Admittedly, it takes a while to "warm-up", unlike any other Heljan loco., (Hymek,27), but then runs well. I'm kinda tempted with a D8500 to make a pair, but may wait until someone, anyone, gives a review of one from the new batch on RMWeb to see whether they are really different, or wait until my pre-ordered 15 from T4U arrives. Any comments welcome.

cheers, Peter C.

I believe I was lucky with my D8568 purchased from Signal Box on pre-order when it first arrived. Admittedly, it takes a while to "warm-up", unlike any other Heljan loco., (Hymek,27), but then runs well. I'm kinda tempted with a D8500 to make a pair, but may wait until someone, anyone, gives a review of one from the new batch on RMWeb to see whether they are really different, or wait until my pre-ordered 15 from T4U arrives. Any comments welcome.

cheers, Peter C.

I've just ordered a D8500, should arrive tomorrow or Sat. I'll report on its running qualities when it appears.

1st one ran at a scale speed of 5mph and died after 5 yards

2nd one ran at a scale speed of 10mph and died after 10 yards

Paul

?maybe you need to run them at a scale speed of 90000mph to get your worth from them? But i digress. I think your comments sum up a lot of what us '1st batchers' are wondering. You're right, it doesn't look a good sign

So it's going under the DC kits Class 74 - the length & wheelbase is just right - very lucky icon_e_biggrin.gif

Without meaning to wee on your fireworks there's a bit of a difference between the two, according to the CLAG wesbite anyway. The 17 has a 8' 6'' bogie wheelbase with a bogie spacing of 28', whereas the 74 has measurements of 10' 6'' and 27'.

It's temptingly close to a 21/29 though...

Pix

I think Paul's point was that after the long wait with the Clayton in the 'stored unservicable' pool, there is an expectation that Heljan would get it right. Maybe thay have, maybe they haven't, but the very fact that we're having this debate rather underlines the uncertainty that people have about this particular model. The reason that i'm wondering if mine will work (find out tommorrow), is that i'm quite sure Heljan put a great deal of R&D into the model only for it to fail spectacularly. Nowhere have i read the definitive reason for why they fail and as usual, these forums are full of opinions, not facts; some more voiciferous than others. Until that changes, i'll have my reservations about the Clayton. Hope that clears things up.

I bought my Heljan 17 from D&F models in Glasgow in July. I saw it on the shelf and asked David, the proprieter, how they were running. He took his glasses off, looked at me intently for a couple of minutes then asked "what have you heard?"

To cut a long story short he explained the problems they have encountered then showed me an example that they had altered themselves. 5 minutes later, after a lengthy test, I paid ??79 and walked out with a (D&F modified) example and have never regretted it, it runs excellently. David also said when the replacement chassis arrive he would replace it with a new one if I was dissatisfied. I'm not, but have spent a lot of money with D&F models since then, not only because I'm a great believer in supporting local businesses, but because I'm just a completely satisfied customer. I'm eagerly awaiting the second batch and will buy another example from D&F, I wouldn't be that keen on buying an example on mail order however!

And in the same way your two are not a "representative sample" either all I know is that the two I tried died and they had the replacement chassis, maybe they were the only faulty ones out of the entire batch, neither you or I can possible know the answer to that one.

With respect to the matter of two not working - until it becomes a 100 out of a batch fault, then two is not only hardly represenative of any manufacturing problems, but two "failures" out of a batch is to be expected in manufacturing terms, in all honesty. Not every single model which comes off the production line will be perfect, even if they have been put together with identical components...

Do you realy not get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or are you just trying to do a wind up

In no way am I trying to wind you up.

In all batch manufacturing there will be samples which are faulty. That is a fact of manufacturing. When the problems with said samples occur is completely arbitrary as to the extent of the problems with said samples. In the first batch of the 17s, there were indeed problems which I would call a problem in manufacturing, as opposed the usual run of a batch with a few faulty models. I have no doubt that in every batch of models produced this year for the British market, at least one or two in a hundred has been faulty and only discovered after reaching the consumer or retailer.

Cheers,

Simon

Was at the Morecambe train shop this afternoon - Richard had received his initial batch of replacement Clayton chassis' - they ran smooth enough but the green chassis' have been spray painted after assembly so they have green fuel tanks and green bogies (or the lower parts) too! Another problem

Richard was less than impressed especially as all will need four resolders to get the headcode lights working again!

Mike

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Well, I've re-fitted seven of these tonight. One was a little noisy, but otherwise perfectly smooth. All performed very nicely and their performance is a world apart from the initial chassis.

Based on the evidence I have seen with my own eyes tonight, I'm quite confident that the vast majority are pretty certain to be every bit as good.

There are going to be a few happy men in the Debatable Lands this weekend! :)

Dave.

Do you realy not get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or are you just trying to do a wind up

Enough now please gents, of the gainsaying over statistical analysis. We're all entitled to make our own judgments - positive or negative - on what we've seen, but it's not likely that anyone's changing anyone else's opinion in this way.

Previous topics on this loco, on the old forum, have become ridiculously unproductive and required very strict control from us, action which we'd rather not have to put the time into. This is already our second intervention in this one.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Guest Max Stafford

Was at the Morecambe train shop this afternoon - Richard had received his initial batch of replacement Clayton chassis' - they ran smooth enough but the green chassis' have been spray painted after assembly so they have green fuel tanks and green bogies (or the lower parts) too! Another problem

Richard was less than impressed especially as all will need four resolders to get the headcode lights working again!

Mike

Pardon me if I'm misinterpreting your posting here Mike, but two of the batch I'm refitting here are the 'Ribble Cement' variant. Those are finished with all green underframes by design. I hope he's not confusing the Ribble chassis with the BR green variant! :unsure:

Dave.

Pardon me if I'm misinterpreting your posting here Mike, but two of the batch I'm refitting here are the 'Ribble Cement' variant. Those are finished with all green underframes by design. I hope he's not confusing the Ribble chassis with the BR green variant! :unsure:

Dave.

You might well be correct but Richard said he'd had no problems with the Ribble cement version he'd sold - so presumably hadn't ordered replacement chassis' He was expecting BR Green and BR Blue only. The same over spray is also mentioned by Alistair Barrie on MRE this morning

Mike

Guest Max Stafford

Contract job Jamie, I'm re-fitting most of the Claytons in Cumberland and Dumfriesshire! I've got a couple of replacements for my own but as some of them came from The Signal Box, Hattons and T4U, I don't have replacements for all my own. Got replacements for three of them though so far!

There are one or two negative comments about the latest batch of Claytons but on a positive note, recieved mine today by Hattons usual good service, it is a Green one 1707, it runs like a dream and there is no sign of any green overspray, its also nice to recieve a model without any work to do on the bufferbeams.

Hi all,

Replacement chassis runs perfectly. Having now done the brass bush mods on the original chassis it to runs well - so it will go under the DC kits Class 74. Didn't know that the the bogie wheelbase is 18 inches too short and the overall bogie centres 12 inches too long however, it does look right but then I also like the Dapol MBA / MCA 's :D

Received my D8500 today from Liverpool.

Ran smoothly both ways straight out of the box on my test circuit - the wheels are clean!! (the track isn't though so I was pleasantly surprised)

A bit noisier than my other Heljan locos, more on a par with a Bachmann 24 or 25.

Picked up mine today and as per D6975, ran fine, albeit a little noisy. I await to see how it runs in. On the matter of "green overspray", my dealer was horrified to unwrap the bubble wrap and see this, having assumed that all the chassis' would be black. It isn't an overspray - they are green, full stop. In fact, a little bit of detailing has been picked out in black. Must say, they look very odd. This is how the Ribble Cement is meant to look is it?