• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I admit that I have just spent ten minutes counting using that system - clever! Similar to that is something I have half-remembered from an inset training day, which was that in Olde London Towne back in the day (think Samuel Pepys and crew), street traders had a system of counting by tapping various parts of their anatomy that allowed them to do calculations incredibly quickly, as there were separate movements representing every number from 1 to 144 (a gross). We know they had such a system, because it is mentioned in Mr Pepys's writings but not in enough detail to be able to reconstruct it. It was a system developed and passed on by itinerant traders, and has been lost in the mists of time, although it is believed that the "tic-tac" signalling system by bookies at race meetings is* similar to it in execution.

Steve S

* Or should that be "was", as tic-tac itself is also seen less and less...

Bringing this back on topic, Northern shepherds have their own language for counting their flock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yan_tan_tethera

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Didn't get to count them, but had an invasion by local farmer's sheep,  they almost cleared my Veg. patch in double quick time!  I say almost cleared because it seems that sheep don't like leeks.

This may not be a statistically valid sample of sheep taste preferences, but I have not seen any rebuttal of the conclusions drawn. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

29 minutes ago, DonB said:

Didn't get to count them, but had an invasion by local farmer's sheep,  they almost cleared my Veg. patch in double quick time!  I say almost cleared because it seems that sheep don't like leeks.

This may not be a statistically valid sample of sheep taste preferences, but I have not seen any rebuttal of the conclusions drawn. 

We need an experts opinion. Speaking of which has anyone seen or even heard from Rob?

From sheep free ...........?

48 minutes ago, DonB said:

Lots of Sheep....Wales....Leeks....makes sense....

• RMweb Gold

If you live in the Forest of Dean sheep invading the garden is a daily hazzard. Even if your walls fences and hedges are really secure it only needs the postie or delivery person to leave the gate slightly ajar and they will be in. When we first moved there the hedge belonging to the neighbours was full of gaps. Our dogs had been trained by a neighbours sheep in Shropshire to ignore sheep. Our garden would be full of them Jack the bigger dog would wander out  and be sniffing about amoungst them. Forest Sheep were not aware of sheep tolerant dogs and would gradually edge away from him. Soon there would be a circle of sheep about 20 radius from Jack  and then suddenly they would run away. Jack would look up wondering why.

Don 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Whatever next?!

Whilst watching the delightful travels of Paul Merton and his wife Suki Webster on Channel 5, CTMK and I became aware of the facility to take sheep for a walk in the Brecon Beacons - https://www.visitwales.com/activity/jacob-sheep-trekking-farm-experience-2168717

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Whatever next?!

Whilst watching the delightful travels of Paul Merton and his wife Suki Webster on Channel 5, CTMK and I became aware of the facility to take sheep for a walk in the Brecon Beacons - https://www.visitwales.com/activity/jacob-sheep-trekking-farm-experience-2168717

Well that's it. Robs gone for a walk in the Brecon Beacons. Thank you CK for informing us. I was getting a bit concerned that he might be getting up to no good on the Bank Holiday weekend.

On 28/08/2021 at 10:44, Winslow Boy said:

We need an experts opinion. Speaking of which has anyone seen or even heard from Rob?

From sheep free ...........?

I understand that he was working yesterday and the day before, if that's any help.

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

I understand that he was working yesterday and the day before, if that's any help.

Chris

I have been in touch and he's alive but a tad busy with real life...I think its fair to say that yesterday he was still working from the day before......

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Whatever next?!

I hope they provide chaperones

Don

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Whatever next?!

I wonder if a similar experience is available with pigs.....

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I have been in touch and he's alive but a tad busy with real life...I think its fair to say that yesterday he was still working from the day before......

He has posted elsewhere so all is well.

• Like 2