• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Try slip-ons. 

Always happy to help...

Thanks John but I'm not prepared to give in........yet.....

2 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Velcro beckons.....

Noted but have you ever tried using velcro when you're covered in wool. No. Thought not. 

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Rob, hope you're feeling better today.

This is no real help, but I was just wondering what 'type' of LFT you're using? My daughter and family all went down with something and did a number of tests with the 'nose only' LFT's that showed -ive. However with no improvement in symptoms they had PCR tests done (when they were still available) which came back +ive.... 

Keith

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Keith, 

I'm using the NHS supplied Rapid Antigen Tests. Throat and nose swabs. They've been accurate on previous occasions. 

To be honest, the symptoms I had when I tested positive in April weren't as severe as those I had earlier in the week  and I didn't have this continuing feeling of lethargy. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 8

23 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

To be honest, the symptoms I had when I tested positive in April weren't as severe as those I had earlier in the week  and I didn't have this continuing feeling of lethargy. 

That's the trouble now though isn't it, the symptoms seem to be constantly changing - I managed to leave my Welsh government inspired isolation to finally leave the house and get to the dentist for the first time in two and a half years on Tuesday. Bwfore being let in they asked me if I had any of the traditional symptoms - cough, taste, smell changes, fever etc.. But when daughter and co had their second dose they had none of those - just as mentioned  in other posts what seemed like colds and overwhelming fatique. Dentist didn't ask if I had anything like that!

Anyway, get well soon.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry to hear that the lurgy is still with you Rob. Hope you get better soon.

On a more downbeat note I was intrigued to learn about you wearing shoes. I didn't know sheep could but to be honest you are a very clever member of the ovine race so I shouldn't have been surprised.

Cheers Ian 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that normal colds etc that we'd usually brush off fairly easily, are affecting us more, as we've been less exposed to them for the last two years, and so some of our resistance has worn off - usually you'd get one every few months that'd have the side effect of topping off the antibodies.

• Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I do like the building to the left of the signal.

I'm getting distracted again.

Nick may well have a point that our natural immunity has probably taken a knock during isolation. Rather like children who aren't allowed to get dirty.

Hope you're over it soon Rob and back to normal - whatever that is...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all, 

Yes, I'm inclined to agree regarding immunity. I normally shake off sniffles like this and I haven't this time so something has gone wonky. 

Regarding bucolic backwaters, thanks to The Wolfstar, I have a particular favourite, namely The Bishops Castle Light Railway. In particular, Horderley. 

1454301665_horderleystation4.jpg.dff11cafae5bdb485d036d62fcd2d127.jpg

1756274151_horderleystation5.jpg.f4c44156e6d06e0af58f0ebf94a8058a.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
Just now, JustinDean said:

Those MBR trees are just great mate. 

Jay

Hi Jay, 

Absolutely. They are now an established part of the armory. I have a couple spare and they will be popping up on Sheep Dip.  In the meantime, I'm putting in another order to add onto SD. They won't get here for the Exeter show but I hope to have a few more on there  by the Cardiff Show in August. 

Their Willow is just lovely but the silver birch I have in also stunning. Just need to place it on Sheep Dip where it will be joined by a couple more. 

That said, the Beech is pretty good as well......in fact, they are all good and save so much time. 

20220416_153141-01-01.jpeg.17c987ecdbada1b8231f678d088815f6.jpeg

Rob. 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

Yes, I'm inclined to agree regarding immunity. I normally shake off sniffles like this and I haven't this time so something has gone wonky. 

Regarding bucolic backwaters, thanks to The Wolfstar, I have a particular favourite, namely The Bishops Castle Light Railway. In particular, Horderley. 

1454301665_horderleystation4.jpg.dff11cafae5bdb485d036d62fcd2d127.jpg

1756274151_horderleystation5.jpg.f4c44156e6d06e0af58f0ebf94a8058a.jpg

Does this mean that I'm in trouble with Mrs NHY?

I do think that your modelling style would lend itself very well to a homage to Horderley though.

It's been very well photographed for a station which closed in 1935.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

Excellent weathering Rob.

Can I ask what varnish you use to seal the weathering powders?

I’ve used Humbrol Spray but it leaves a white tint and the models look ‘dusty’

Buenas noches, El Dee. 

That sounds like you had a touch of 'blooming'. 

I warm the can in warm water prior to use and give it a damn good shake about. 

I also avoid spraying during damp weather as this is not a good thing. 

Finally, light coats and spray from a good distance say 18 inches and avoid continuous squirts. 

If you do get a dusty look after all this, then try flicking the model using a large make up brush. This might provide a bit of burnishing which will offset the dusty look. 

It's not infallible but certainly following the above  has  given me consistantly better results. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Does this mean that I'm in trouble with Mrs NHY?

I do think that your modelling style would lend itself very well to a homage to Horderley though.

It's been very well photographed for a station which closed in 1935.

No, I think you're safe, Rob. 

However, you did get the old woolly cells going which led to this........

20220526_213744-01.jpeg.c47edc79140b17a210eb88075229da35.jpeg

I agree, something akin to Horderly would really appeal. 

Rob. 

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Buenas noches, El Dee. 

That sounds like you had a touch of 'blooming'. 

I warm the can in warm water prior to use and give it a damn good shake about. 

I also avoid spraying during damp weather as this is not a good thing. 

Finally, light coats and spray from a good distance say 18 inches and avoid continuous squirts. 

If you do get a dusty look after all this, then try flicking the model using a large make up brush. This might provide a bit of burnishing which will offset the dusty look. 

It's not infallible but certainly following the above  has  given me consistantly better results. 

Rob. 

Thank you Rob, you’re a fountain of knowledge!

I’ll give that a go tomorrow. I did think the issue lied with my application rather than the product

Thank you!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, LDM34046 said:

Thank you Rob, you’re a fountain of knowledge!

I’ll give that a go tomorrow. I did think the issue lied with my application rather than the product

Thank you!

You're very welcome and very kind. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LDM34046 said:

Excellent weathering Rob.

Can I ask what varnish you use to seal the weathering powders?

I’ve used Humbrol Spray but it leaves a white tint and the models look ‘dusty’

What Rob says above, but also, might I suggest Mig "lucky" ultra matt varnish. It's more matt than the Huubrol, and dries smoother.

Alex

• Informative/Useful 8