"The Estate"

Sam '43003' Tanner

Ok, I'm back in with the Challenge.

For those that have seen my blog, you will have established that "The Mall" is a non-runner. (Mods: You can lock the thread. I won't be using it, but it can stay for future reference and for those who may wish to give it a try)

Ok, so, upwards and onwards.

For those that don't follow the blogs, the plan is thus:

4mmLight.jpg

A simple 3 turnout plan in a space 48" x 12" on a board I have spare. What I have omitted to mention is that the MDF top will be replaced with plywood.

The general theory is that the terminus links a private estate with a mainline connection. Being a independant 'Railway', with second-hand deteriorating stock, the location can be generic depending on my mood. The stock itself would be primarily 0-4-0 locomotives, 4-wheel coach(es) and short wheelbase wagons.

A discussion with James Hilton on my blog regarding the permanant way has enlightened me as to what direction I should be taking. The initial plan was to utilise Peco Code 75, but the move to using C&L Finescale '00' bullhead rail is one which will give a better sense of the derelict and rough nature of such a line.

That's it for now. The layout is being constructed to act as a proving ground for the layout in 7mm. If the concept works, then the same trackplan will be utilised in the scale to prove to the countless numbers of modellers that you don't need a barn conversion to model in 7mm, you actually need the same space for a 4mm layout. The plan for that is thus:

7mmLight.jpg

Scenic: 96" x 24", Fiddle Yard: no more than 36" long, so a branchline terminus in 7mm, in under 12' (144"). If you work out the cost's for stock in the repsective scales for the same 12' x 2' space, it would generally work out the same:

4mm: A couple of DMU's, a few locomotives, coaches, goods stock and wagons

7mm: 2 Loco's, 2 Coaches, no more than 8 wagons

If you do the scenic's correctly too, even these can balance out.

If you have the space and money for a 12' layout in 4mm and want to try 7mm, do it..!

G'night all. B)

Pleased I could be of help Sam - it sounds lovely. I think I suggested using the forthcoming Heljan railcars - as if BR have some running powers for a hardly used passenger service.

What engines are you thinking? RTR or kit built? I keep wondering about a MSC Railway tank engine - lovely compact 0-6-0 design and a few in preservation - but need to get the Sentinel and pointwork built first! In RTR I can only think of the Hornby Pug and Austerity tanks as being useful? The last of the Austerities at Bickershaw and Bold collieries in the North West in the early 80s are quite inspiring, worth taking a look at, and would make a nice super detailing challenge. I guess it depends on what era you're concentrating on.

I'd definitely stick to short wheel base wagons, tank engines, 4 wheel coaches and just a railcar - rather than 2-car DMU and tender engines.

Pleased I could be of help Sam - it sounds lovely. I think I suggested using the forthcoming Heljan railcars - as if BR have some running powers for a hardly used passenger service.

What engines are you thinking? RTR or kit built? I keep wondering about a MSC Railway tank engine - lovely compact 0-6-0 design and a few in preservation - but need to get the Sentinel and pointwork built first! In RTR I can only think of the Hornby Pug and Austerity tanks as being useful? The last of the Austerities at Bickershaw and Bold collieries in the North West in the early 80s are quite inspiring, worth taking a look at, and would make a nice super detailing challenge. I guess it depends on what era you're concentrating on.

I'd definitely stick to short wheel base wagons, tank engines, 4 wheel coaches and just a railcar - rather than 2-car DMU and tender engines.

You did yes. I'll probably end up getting one anyway, even though such a line may not have lived past the early 1930's (so there's my era I guess). Combine the railcar with the Heljan Class 15 and I'm definatly heading to East Anglia!

The kind of loco's I'm thinking of would have to be kit-built. Peckett's, Hawthorn Leslie and Avonside loco's being the prefered choice I think. I like the quirky nature of these smaller 0-4-0 locomotives. Most of these would come from Agenoria Models The one's I have my eye on are Kit No. AM2 & AM4 in 4mm. Kit No. AM18 & AM41 are currently only 7mm, but I'm hoping that someone produces them in 4mm. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Anything above even an 0-6-0 tank would look daft on such a small, derelict line. :lol:

Archived