• RMweb Gold

They were special days for sure

The count wasn't as high in other visits - full days on Reading station in December and January! Brrrrrrr

4/12/75 - 12/81

9/1/76 - 13/95, included 40175 on cartics

21/5/76 - Westbury - 3/17

And then the rot really set in

4/10/76 - 4/94, including 8 HSTs with 252001 amongst them.

My last record of one on a service train was 8/12/76 - I know its been seen on here before but some how it seems more than appropriate on this thread, hope you don't mind Neil

http://www.miac.org.uk/class52.html- 5th picture down, Mike King (now chairman Worcester Loco Society) took the shot, I was there...

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

A very historic shot Phil! Just wish I knew the other Warships in the photo though.

Neil

Absolutely Neil! 856 distinctive as OH flash in front of not behind drivers door and low position of data panel

Is on our list to do when those Bacchy 43s arrive - could I use this as our master shot please?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Trying to narrow down what the green D8XX might be.

In the meantime let's go back to June 1968 and watch the up Cornish Riviera approach Teignmouth behind D822 and D827........

If its a 43 I reckon 833 845 852 or 854

All went blue late in 69 except 845 which was the last GSYP surviving in to 1970

AM sure Graeme wont mind me linking to his Flikr string

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6309614977/in/set-72157627920981333

Not so well up on 42s!

Cheers

Phil

Edited to correct 834 to 833 - thanks Peter

Edited by Phil Bullock

And then the rot really set in

4/10/76 - 4/94, including 8 HSTs with 252001 amongst them.

My last record of one on a service train was 8/12/76 - I know its been seen on here before but some how it seems more than appropriate on this thread, hope you don't mind Neil

http://www.miac.org.uk/class52.html- 5th picture down, Mike King (now chairman Worcester Loco Society) took the shot, I was there...

Cheers

Phil

Interesting.

I was probably working on 4/10/76, but on the next day I travelled from Slough to Paddington for a day on the station and the situation was even worse. I only saw 3 all day. D1009, D1048, and D1054 (which seemed to be active almost every day I went out). I also saw 8 HSTs including the prototype, but I did see a Tyseley DMU set at Paddington which was not a common sight - M50812 M51112 M56267, which presumably had been purloined by RG to stand in for one of their failures.

My last working loco was not quite as late as yours, but was D1023 on 29th November 76 at Reading on a very cold evening, for which I was only kept warm by the large amount of alcohol I consumed whilst on the station. I can tell by the writing in my notebook that my overall co-ordination was beginning to decline towards the end, but I had already seen three 37s and a 73, so when Western Fusilier turned up I was well happy.

• RMweb Gold

I've looked through my 1977 logs recently of Westerns still in service around Bristol in January and February that year.

My last service trains included D1022 (on a BNS-South West service) and D1023 (on Stratford-Danygraig Freightliner). Will edit for dates and service identification when I get back to Plymouth on Monday where the logs are.

Neil

If its a 43 I reckon 834 845 852 or 854

All went blue late in 69 except 845 which was the last GSYP surviving in to 1970

AM sure Graeme wont mind me linking to his Flikr string

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6309614977/in/set-72157627920981333

Not so well up on 42s!

I don't think it can be a 42 as most were either blue or maroon at that time.

D824 appears to be in works from which it emerged in blue.

D810 had a full yellow end, and D800 was withdrawn/stored outside on the Laira scrap line IIRC.

• RMweb Gold

Think the picture was taken Summer'69.

Green D8Xx could be 845, 852 or 854. Not 834 though as that was maroon.

Sorry Peter - fat fingered typo - meant 833! Original post edited

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Yup! Can we take it any further than that? The loco liveries plus the presence of the motorails mean its got to be in the duration of the summer timetable 1969, choose 1 loco from 4...although is that a data panel above the number?

Phil

And the number of the blue one in front of it appears to end in a '7'.

Which rules out D817 maroon, D827 blue but with serif D & numerals, D847 had BR symbol above the nameplate, D867 maroon.

• RMweb Premium

This thread is superb - thanks for sharing Neil!

Zoomed in- not sure it helps, but the green Warship sure looks like a 43.attachicon.gifClass 43s Newton Abbott 1969.jpgNeil

Might be my eyes but the closer bodyside grille appears to have the central dividing bar, which would put it as somewhere between D800-12. Trying to find some decent shots of 807 with double arrows to see if the data panel, OHLE patches and red dot all match, but they seem to be quite thin on the ground.

Please keep 'em coming Neil.

Pix

EDIT - underframe on the original also matches one from the first 13.

Edited by Pixie