RMWeb Members Day, Taunton 2015 - serious menu choices!

Captain Kernow

Pasty or Pie; pie or pasty?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Pasty or Pie; pie or pasty?

• I intend coming to Taunton and I'd go for the traditional pasty.
    • I intend coming to Taunton but I'd opt for the innovative pie proposal.
    • I intend coming to Taunton and can foresee I will be hungry enough to go for both.
    • I intend coming to Taunton but all the above are too meaty so I'd like a delicate cheese & onion pasty please.

• RMweb Gold

Oh Captain! Where have you been?

It might be called something different down your way.

ISTR a 'trampie' being a full pasty, not one of the half round things. It has a dividing strip of pastry down the middle, say from 12 to 6 o'clock. 

The left hand is pasty, the right hand is fruit (normally apple) filling.

Care is needed when eating, to get the correct half first!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Never leaving a stone unturned, especially where grub is concerned, I found a recipe for a 'Cornish Tin Miners Pasty' on Google. It looks alright, and is what I'd expect a 'Trampie' to be. I understand canal folk called 'em Trampies, and they were a full round size.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Never leaving a stone unturned, especially where grub is concerned, I found a recipe for a 'Cornish Tin Miners Pasty' on Google. It looks alright, and is what I'd expect a 'Trampie' to be. I understand canal folk called 'em Trampies, and they were a full round size.

Ian

Only seen a tinner's pasty a couple of times but they were still normal pasty shape, just bigger. Seem to remember there's something about the tail on the crimping which tells you which end the fruit is

• RMweb Gold

There will be no cake voting buttons appearing just yet, this all depends on the outcome of separate and highly classified discussions... :sungum:

I'd better not start a new thread else knuckles will be rapped! :nono: ....so I'll get in early here with a request for lemon drizzle cake please.........! :P

• RMweb Premium

Pastyomyelitis jabs will available on the NHS one month before the event.

You are also reminded that it might be in your interests to protect against Taunton Trots, M5-Jamphobia, Emmetitis, and Haemoscrumpycomatosis.

• RMweb Gold

I can neither confirm nor deny that an agreement may or may not have been reached by the Swagonian Committee for Public Cake Consumption on the final line-up for a cake poll, or not, as the case may, or may not be.

It is nice to see things are back to normal

Don

I can neither confirm nor deny that an agreement may or may not have been reached by the Swagonian Committee for Public Cake Consumption on the final line-up for a cake poll, or not, as the case may, or may not be.

Thank you, Sir Humphrey Appleby...

• RMweb Premium

Will someone please let me know where the membership day is and what is involved?

I understand it is on Sunday 26 April 2015 but I have not been able to get much useful information on this web site.

Patience.  The good Captain Kernow will be making a formal announcement very soon.  The location is Staplegrove Village Hall, Taunton.

Will someone please let me know where the membership day is and what is involved?

I understand it is on Sunday 26 April 2015 but I have not been able to get much useful information on this web site.

And on the day the Captain will have arranged an excellent selection of modelling - some of them are layouts, some of then demonstrations, there's a little commercial support 

Best thing is to look down here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/43-rmweb-events/for previous years events

• RMweb Gold

Some members of this forum who generally are frequent posters get together to enjoy some fine examples of modelling and have a good natter fortified by tea pastys and cake. There may also be some railway related activity on a saturday for those who make a weekend of it.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Greetings all,

I am now in a position to request of our Dear Leader a further poll, this time on the subject of cakes. Well done to those who picked up on the earlier clues...

These are potentially some of the proposed cakes. These are not necessarily the final offerings, the Committee for Public Cakery has issued a Statement that neither confirms nor denies the definite (or possible) existence of plans to produce (or not produce) any of these cakes, but the results of the poll will inform the kitchens of Kernow Towers and Pugsley Mansions as to which way the winds of baking may be blowing...

- Chocolate & Guiness cake (popular last year)

- Date & Walnut cake (essential for Jerry Clifford)

- Ginger Cake (won't be tampered with by the Captain, doesn't like ginger)

- Gluten-free sponge cake

- Lemon & caramel cake

- New York cheese cake (may or may not be one of the Captain's favourites)

Thank you, and good morning.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin,

Just to expand a bit on what some of the others have said, the event is essentially a free model railway exhibition, with layouts, demos and trade stands in a village hall setting, for RMWeb members and their invited guests. There is, therefore, no entry charge and (as a general rule in most cases) those bringing layouts etc. don't charge expenses either, unless they have particular costs due to distance etc.

Any profit (from catering sales and our auction) is donated to The Railway Children charity, yet Warners (via Andy Y's good offices) cover the cost of hall hire and insurance.

The whole atmosphere is very informal and relaxed, and it would be great to see you and any other members who've not managed to make it yet. We started doing these events in 2008, so this is our 8th Taunton Members Day.

I will be putting more information up in a couple of weeks or so, once I've finished sorting out the floor plan and other details, but the date of the next Members Day is indeed Sunday 26th April 2015. Staplegrove Village Hall is about a 20 minute walk from Taunton Railway Station. It does have very limited parking in the hall's own car park, but there is also sufficient local residential road parking close by. The doors open at 1000 and the event finishes at 1600 hrs.

• RMweb Premium

Ginger will be fine thanks.  If it doesn't make the cut (groan intended) then chocolate and Guinness should top out the pie and pasty courses nicely.

Vote will be recorded when the poll is opened.

Thank you for visiting Kernowcake where your bytes are transformed into bites.

Pastyomyelitis jabs will available on the NHS one month before the event.

You are also reminded that it might be in your interests to protect against Taunton Trots, M5-Jamphobia, Emmetitis, and Haemoscrumpycomatosis.

What the hell are all these illnesses ....never. Heard of them but very worried. particularly the Taunton Trots

Because I am moving to take over a bed and breakfast just outside bishops Lydeard in two week's time

Not so worried about Haemoscrumpycomatosis, in fact looking forward to that one

Archived