Bachmann 009 Skarloey Railway range

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

And replace that rather fat chimney as well. 

The Giesel Ejector is appropriate for a certain period on the TR or Peter Sam guises, but I agree and the conventional chimney will be one of my mods. 

134B1B0A-675F-41DD-BDCF-3B41D1D06671.jpeg.91b0cb97b055e212191eb7ef15863460.jpeg

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Towyn_(Pendre)_Shed_geograph-3278305-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

I really  appreciate that these are available as TTTE versions, but is there any chance that "faceless" versions will become available as the proper Talyllyn  versions (even with inaccuracies) in due course ?

I do not believe so - there was a big kerfuffle that Skarloey and Rheneas were so easily convertible into the TR locos and the TTTE license holder felt that this was pushing the terms of the license somewhat.

Hence why the Rusty and Peter Sam models are not too close to Midlander and Edward Thomas in scale model terms 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

but is there any chance that "faceless" versions will become available as the proper Talyllyn  versions (even with inaccuracies) in due course ?

No because Mattel or whoever it is that currently owns the rights has licensed the whole tooling so it cannot be used. They would have to start from scratch and it’s uneconomic. 

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

You'd have to get Bachmann USA and Bachmann Europe to talk to each other nicely first... All the Bachmann TTTE stuff is US I believe?

Bachmann uk now stock the range it was only barred while Hornby held the license. Note the slate wagons are identical as models of the real thing but the locos are licensed due to the face and name. It’s not an internal Bachmann issue at all ;) 

1 hour ago, Edge said:

I do not believe so - there was a big kerfuffle that Skarloey and Rheneas were so easily convertible into the TR locos and the TTTE license holder felt that this was pushing the terms of the license somewhat.

Hence why the Rusty and Peter Sam models are not too close to Midlander and Edward Thomas in scale model terms 

No they are based on the tv characters so as they were modified more, so are their models. 
Compare images of the tv models, especially later cgi ones and you’ll see they faithfully follow those. It’s not a license fiddle. 

• Informative/Useful 4

10 hours ago, Edge said:

The latter two are just "inspired by" the Talyllyn locos....

Just a thought though - Talyllyn and Dolgoch both appear in one of the illustrations in one of the Awdry books. Does that make them bona fide Thomas characters, in which cas they could fall under the terms of the licence?

(However that would open a whole can of worms as the same could be said to apply to Stepney, Jinty, Pug, City of Truro, Flying Scotsman, Iron Duke, and others....)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

No they are just based on the model makers interpretation of the characters. 
The Reverend stated in the books that all of them were based on the TR locos. Rusty is Midlander they just simplified the tv models and the cgi was based on those. Even the books subtly change the appearance of several locos as the artist changed fairly early on. 

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

Just a thought though - Talyllyn and Dolgoch both appear in one of the illustrations in one of the Awdry books. Does that make them bona fide Thomas characters, in which cas they could fall under the terms of the licence?

(However that would open a whole can of worms as the same could be said to apply to Stepney, Jinty, Pug, City of Truro, Flying Scotsman, Iron Duke, and others....)

No he depicted real locos, they can only license the literary creations. They even tried to stop the Bluebell using Stepney and failed as it pre dated the books by years. 
The TR were given exclusive rights to depict the locos as the Sodor characters in perpetuity by Awdry too which is why the current license holders can’t stop them using them in the book liveries. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, Edge said:

That's not entirely accurate. You'll notice on Peter Sam that he's far close in proportions and major details to Edward Thomas than his CGI model(his entire chassis for instance). Rusty is less obvious, but his chassis is also Midlander accurate.
They're just less so than Skarloey and Rheneas...cause their CGI models are soooo far from the real life prototypes, unlike Skar and Rhen who's CGI models are...close enough for Bachmann to "fix" the major dimensions and proportions to match the prototypes. It's why Rusty is sort of hit or miss for both RWS/IRL modelers and TVS Modelers, Rusty is scaled to Midlander proportions but his body is the CGI body, which in turn is the Large Scale model body, used cause midlander had a long since been rebuilt by the time Nitrogen Studios went to measure the TR engines.

There's been no kerfuffle, not for the NG range that is.

But yeah, basically Peter Sam isn't as close to ET compared to No.1-2 cause the CGI model is quite a ways off for ET, Bachmann clearly did what they could but they can't make 100% of course. Frankly I think settling for a completely accurate chassis was the best call for them, body is definitely at least 60-70% ET vs CGI based.

It's why Sir Handel will probably be a "return to form", cause his CGI model is already as close to Haydn as No.1-2's CGI models are to their prototypes.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Apparently this was something of an issue with the TV adaptations, and producer Britt Allcroft was concerned that by using real life engines, it opened up the possibility of people quite legitimately making models of Thomas characters but being able to claim they were just producing models of the real life engines. So in the TV series, the only real engines that appear are Stepney (who is specifically identified as not working on the real Bluebell Railway, but on a fictional branch line on Sodor) and City of Truro (who is never named in dialogue).

Where the TV series does use real life railway companies, it alters the liveries. Thomas wears a sort of bluish green LBSC livery, Ryan is in GNR purple, Flying Scotsman has two tenders but also smoke deflectors (a combo the real engine never carried).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steven B said:

Has anyone any insight to what the Blue and Red brake-vans (#77206 & 77206), or the High-Sided wagons (Red #77304, Brown #77305 and Green #77306) will look like?

The Bachmann catalogue (pg 16+17) just has fuzzy pictures.

Steven B.

High Sided wagons are likely to be the Ffestiniog wagons they're based on. The brakevans, no idea what they'll actually look like yet, same for the vans

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, SomethingTrainLover said:

High Sided wagons are likely to be the Ffestiniog wagons they're based on. The brakevans, no idea what they'll actually look like yet, same for the vans

Technically the brake vans are TR no.6 but the tv added duckets. Some pics of the tv ones under ‘livery’ on here. 

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/Brake_Vans_(narrow_gauge)

• Like 1

On 15/02/2022 at 15:02, PaulRhB said:

Technically the brake vans are TR no.6 but the tv added duckets. Some pics of the tv ones under ‘livery’ on here. 

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/Brake_Vans_(narrow_gauge)

Aye but I meant more it closely based on No.6 as a base(with added ducketts) rather than any of the various No.6-inspired ones seen over the years, especially the CGI one which just looks wrong lol.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

To get the body off there are three screws and two small green clips on the cab back. 

D772AD3F-3BC9-4CDC-B406-9121B58D2DA4.jpeg.921bad897e2482ef4733cef313c478c6.jpeg

A3B974AE-86D5-4649-89DD-83913E2D6F24.jpeg.b7cb77cc295fab66342953b0d90748a3.jpeg

I removed the flat plates under the tank with a slitting disc and filed the edges back. 

841B5FA7-390E-4347-AA7F-08A9C353ED2D.jpeg.bccf9529b9c1da1fc2ebde98ae4c5ba2.jpeg

44D9754D-05C2-4518-933E-D3925DDAB392.jpeg.a39a0fe066665fdd0be847e2dd4d4dc9.jpeg

Once the rough cuts above were tidied up I painted the motor and brackets black.

F6E4D38B-EB01-498E-A749-46262D066496.jpeg.b548aa25d9b72c1c47fb4864464324ea.jpeg

8B77E721-5D67-48C2-836E-B350A50A0009.jpeg.ea8f7b8e9c2980eb9805793a09a02b4d.jpeg

Before . .1C972E77-63AE-42B8-8B53-FFD525B7150D.jpeg.de177f54f157a3fa7581014a5ffaed7d.jpeg

After.

64AC2963-91BD-428C-8A24-525560D9317B.jpeg.d39f11529095b925c3688203bcb79d75.jpeg

Next I intend to hide the worm with a suggestion of the curving boiler and add the pipework too. 

Edited by PaulRhB
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
On 18/07/2022 at 22:32, PaulRhB said:

To get the body off there are three screws and two small green clips on the cab back. 

A3B974AE-86D5-4649-89DD-83913E2D6F24.jpeg.b7cb77cc295fab66342953b0d90748a3.jpeg

Am I correct in understanding that the rear trailing wheels are also geared to drive? I am impressed that they made a tiny flywheel out of the front worm gear.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2022 at 23:22, PaulRhB said:

No they are just based on the model makers interpretation of the characters. 
The Reverend stated in the books that all of them were based on the TR locos. Rusty is Midlander they just simplified the tv models and the cgi was based on those. Even the books subtly change the appearance of several locos as the artist changed fairly early on. 

No he depicted real locos, they can only license the literary creations. They even tried to stop the Bluebell using Stepney and failed as it pre dated the books by years. 
The TR were given exclusive rights to depict the locos as the Sodor characters in perpetuity by Awdry too which is why the current license holders can’t stop them using them in the book liveries. 

Hence also the NVR's ex-British Sugar "original Thomas" which is significantly different from any illustration, but was the original inspiration for the blue livery with red wheels and the large #1 on the side tanks. Awdry himself named the loco in the early days of preservation and after a certain amount of "who blinks first", the railway were acknowledged as entitled to operate it as Thomas.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, hartleymartin said:

Am I correct in understanding that the rear trailing wheels are also geared to drive? I am impressed that they made a tiny flywheel out of the front worm gear.

Yes they are. The flywheel worm has been a Bachmann feature since the early days of the blue riband ranges, how effective it is is debatable 😉

• Like 1